Head toilet not flushing to holding tank.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Before I'd open up the pump to replace anything in it, I'd just replace the pump. If it IS original to the boat, it's 30 years old...That it still works at all is amazing 'cuz every rubber part in it has to be pretty much worn out.

All manual toilets need lubrication. A tablespoon--NO MORE!--of veggie oil every few weeks will do the job...we can talk about a much better way that only has to be done once or twice a season after you finally have a fully working toilet.

--Peggie

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A friend had similar complaints about the Jabsco toilet not flushing, I told him replace the joker valve. Here's a photo of the one he removed.

1691357458148.jpeg

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
I'm sure this has been answered here, but I've searched and not coming up with answers yet.

I have a new-to-me Catalina Capri 26 with a Jabsco manual pump toilet. I tested the operation to see if it would bring in lake water and pump it to the holding tank. With a few strokes of the pump I was able to get some water coming in, but I'm unable to pump it out to the tank. The water just sits in bowl and when I use the pump, it just makes a squishing sound as it pumps against the contents.

What should I check first? Is there a valve that could be closed preventing the exit?
When I had a manual toilet (QuietFlush now), I found that the gasket on the top of the pump gets warped over the winter and I had to replace it every year. I added a process to my winterization of loosening the 6 screws on the top of the pump and taking some pressure off the gasket during the winter (or long times with no use). Problem solved.

You might want to evaluate that gasket which is needed to be in good shape for the pump to work properly.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
My Groco HF got very bad at pumping this year. I had a rebuild kit so I installed it but it only gave marginal improvement. The kit contained everything except for the valve body, handle and piston. The Groco tech suggested I check the piston and I found that the O-ring was gone except for a couple of bits. A new piston with O-ring and it is now pumping great.

• Helpful