"have i just made the biggest mistake too?"

Aug 16, 2016
Catalina C22 Panama City, Fl
If I went back to work to pay for a slip again I'd take a Sea Sprite in a heartbeat. I was already sailing a Mac Venture Newport 23 at the time when I saw this ad for a sea sprite. So I made arrangements to take it for a test sail. The owner said that it didnt go to winward well. Well I took it up and down the Thames river there in Ct for about an hour past the sub base and the coasr guard academy and all over. The owner just said he was a power bost man and didnt know much about sailing. He was truly surprized by the boat and I fell in love with it and bought it on the spot!! It was one of the first ones made before all those other companies acquired rughts to build them. Absolutely no coreing anywhere. Solid glass decks and hull. Although not many were. Most of them had cored decks. This one didnt have an interior pan. Just two bunks one on each side and a marine head against the lower part of the mast where it steps on the keel. No blisters either and gorgeous lines. Enough to make a man forget his own wife! Oh well you get the picture. I sure would like to have it back.

Geoff

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Act
Oh well you get the picture. I sure would like to have it back.
Actually you haven't posted any photos of your previous mistress... so no we didn't get any pictures. ;)

Seriously though. Sounds like a great boat. I never did get to talk to the owner of the one here. I left a note with my number, hoping to convince him to take me out on the water once she was launched.
I wish I knew what happened to her. (the boat.. not my wife)

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2016
Well it was back in the early eighties before cell phones and all that and at the time I didn't think I would ever get rid of her so I didn't take a lot of pictures. I did take a few though. Sorry about the quality but that's all I got of her now. I had her on a private mooring in Smiths cove on the Thames river across from the sub base in Groton Ct. 1987. Also one of my Newport in Branford Ct. 1986. I liked that one too but not as much as the Sea Sprite.

Geoff

Attachments

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Nice photos Geoff. I spent some time as an enlisted person at the Academy in the 70s. Love the Thames, but we sure had some cold winters!

Aug 16, 2016
Just found out from the seller that my keel is on its way to Florida!! Wohoo!! Should be here in about a week. I am relieved and can hardly wait!! We are closing on our (new to us) house on thursday so there will be a lot going on this weekend. Pictures to follow its arrival.

Geoff

Aug 16, 2016
From IL to FL $355. It was sent business to business without liftgate service. That would have doubled the cost to ship. I was able to locate a full service marina a few miles from my house that is receiving it for me and will load it onto my utility trailer for a minimum yard fee. Dawgone thing is costing as much as I paid for the whole,well almost whole minus a keel, boat, trailer, motor package!! But is still in line with what some of you all have paid for you boats. Total will only be $1500, boat pkg and keel. Now I'm at the "starting point", and I'm good with that.

Looking forward to joining in the "fun" with you all.

Geoff

May 25, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Panama City, FL
Hi Geoff, good luck with your fixer upper. I hope to see you out in bay sometime, hopefully sooner than you think.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Not a bad price. less than I expected.

On step at a time and you'll get there.
For some goofy reason, sailboats gave a way of making all the work and money involved, be forgotten once you are on the water.

Aug 16, 2016
Yes they do and I am looking forward to that time very much already.

Thanks, I am also looking forward to seeing PC from the bayside rather than from the dockside.

Geoff

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Have fun, keep posting pictures. We all like to see progress no matter how slow.

Aug 16, 2016
The eagle has landed! Well you get the idea. Got the call this morning that the marina had just signed for my keel. So I hustled around to line up all my "implements of distruction" ( a quote from Alices restaraunt if any one is old enough to remember Arlo Guthrie) and made my way down to pick it up. I haven't uncrated it yet but from what is visible it looks in fairly good shape.

We just moved into our house this past weekend and its hard to tell whether we are coming or going. Boxes everywhere and all my tools and stuff is stacked chaotically in this 10x12 shed in the backyard. So it may be a bit before any work happens other than unpacking and setting up house.

Plenty of time for boat stuff ahead.

Geoff

Attachments

Aug 16, 2016
Suddenly having trouble uploading pictures. Will probably try to add some more later or something. No internet hook up just yet working only on LTE data now so that might have something to do with it.

Geoff

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
When you get back to it, we want 27 eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles
and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what you've done.

Won't be long until Thanksgiving.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Pecostx, don't know if you're aware, but there is a C-22 cruise starting out of Panama City next month, Oct 22-29.

Don

Aug 16, 2016
@SFS..."clearly a case of blind justice", "and another Thanksgiving dinner that just couldn't be beat"

@Capt Don...i was not aware but it would be a very wet cruise without a boat to cruise on. I hope to make some cruises in the near future. Who is sponsoring it?

Yes Sailorladyliz, actually in PC. Just behind Bay High a few blocks from PC marina. I cannot make up my mind whether to trailor the 11 blocks to the launch ramp or put into a slip. That is when the boat is ready for the water. Rates are reasonable $281 /mo with water, power and wifi. Thats less than I used to pay up in Clinton Ct back in the '80's for my Venture Newport 23 without water and power and there wasnt wifi even available!!

So much to think about and still so much to look forward to.

Geoff