"have i just made the biggest mistake too?"

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Gee everyone, thanks for all the encouragement dont know how i could go on without it.

My ultimate goal was originally to build a Welsford Navigator. My wife thought I might like to get on the water a little sooner so starting with something already built that just needed some work may not take as long to finish. I listened to her for once and here i am.

My goal is to have a good boat to sail around to Florida gulf coast and bays visiting neat places i havent seen before. Daysailing mostly maybe an overnight here and there, you know the usual stuff to do when you are retired.

I realize the trailer isnt correct for this boat but it is possible to fit it properly. The motor does run and they are easy to fix and parts are still available. Unless the stringers are bare under there, then that doesnt say much for Catalinas famous craftsmanship does it?
I've seen a few boats racing in local fleets that have a bit of sail tape on them. What is the keel? Just a chunk of cast iron. A hammer and a torch and it can be anything you want it to be or fit for that matter.

I'm not looking for a prom queen here just a steady date. She should be good enough for me. I'm no real prize either. So we'll see how she goes and a little hard work hasn't hurt me yet in the last 65 years I doubt it will now. Who was it that said " it's not what other people think about what you're doing, it's whether or not you like what you're doing." Oh yeah that was me. Has anyone replaced a swing keel here? They say it can be done.

Thanks,

Geoff
Sorry. I have fixed up 5 boats and that one is not worth starting. I am going to stick with my original comment. Yup. Part it out. You should get more than your investment. Too many good boats you can afford after parting out.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I would keep it just for the lifelines.

More to come as I get my pictures together.
Your pictures? Are you related to the OP?
I think we are being trolled. Maybe the cute logon contributes to my conclusion.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Geoff,
My boat was in decent shape and being a 1987 model, had many of the improvements that people install on their early C22 series boats.

I bought it last spring.
So far, I have spent as much on it, as it originally cost me.
I have above average DIY skills, and a shop full of tools.
I still haven't sailed it.

You live in Florida...
There are a bazillion boats that you can buy that will get you out on the water faster, and cost you LESS money to get there.
Especially so, since it's likely that the plywood that is encapsulated in the hull of that C22, is likely rotted in more places than just the mast step.

This is a friendly, supportive forum. The members here don't say these things lightly, nor do we say it to be mean.

Good luck with the quest.

P.S. If you do decide to go down the rabbit hole, and you enjoy spending more time working on a boat and spending money on it, than you do sailing, feel free to read the refit threads here, and ask for any help you need.
The knowledge you need is here, to get the boat sailing again, but doing so will have a large cost in both time and money. Even though the help and advice is free. :)

Who knows, maybe someone local to you, can come see the hull and see if that is, at least, not rotted internally.

Aug 16, 2016
Catalina C22 Panama City, Fl
Thanks Roy, time to sail is very cool indeed but timing, I guess as in how long until you can sail, is sometimes relevant or irrelevant. I am not looking at this as any type of investment as to how much I can get for it when I'm tired of it. It costs what it costs and hopefully there is enjoyment along the way.

The "cute" intro was in anticipation of some of that fun along the way. Sorry if you feel I'm not serious enough for you. At my age life is getting shorter faster and you need to enjoy it more before it is over cuz once it is, it is!

I will keep posting on my progress though and searching for those refit threads.

Thanks

Geoff

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Geoff, My comment was directed at JacksOffSailing. I don't think you are trolling us, and I wish you the best of luck with the boat.

@JacksOffSailing - My apologies. Now that I see your thread about YOUR boat, I recognize that the second line of post #19 was a reference to that endeavor. Welcome to the forum, both of you. I think you will find it a place full of helpful information, and helpful people.

Aug 16, 2016
Thanks again, and indeed having some one inspect the hull would be very welcome. Is there anyone in the Chipley Florida area ( about 50 miles north of panama city) that would be willing to come and take a look??

Geoff

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
Bought...Traded my atv for my 76 back in May. Was going to get it going in "two weeks". Now hoping to be in the water over Labor day weekend. I've had too much "while I'm at it" going on with my refit. Good Luck and welcome to the club!

Aug 16, 2016
Thanks. My timetable is not quite so ambitious as even this fall. Actually i have no timetable to speak of just pluggin along getting one thing done as i can afford it. The only real priority is finding the correct keel for my boat for less than Catalina Yachts wants to sell me one for($2437 plus between $350-$550 shipping). However at the moment i am rather short in funds so it is a waiting game for now.

Geoff

Jun 15, 2016
Aug 16, 2016
Only wish i could i would have already. Major hurdle is insufficiant funds at this time. But thanks for looking out. I have saved the link to enquire of him when funds are available if he still has one.

Geoff

May 1, 2016
catalina 22,macgregor 22 Havana IL
Geoff not to be evil here I am the fellow that has 2 keels on EBAY for a cat 22 unless you really enjoy the work and expense which will be in 5 to 10 k range part it out I have to tell you these are hard to part out let alone fix the 2 catalina 22s I have cut up for parts were in better shape than yours in the photo better yet be patient watch craigs list a 22 will pop up cheap the last 1 I bought his wife said me or boat get it gone!!!! Would love to sell you a keel but would advise sell trailer not for a 22 anyway buy sawzall and several extra blades you should be able to get your money back at this point. there are a lot of very nice catalina 22s out there in 4 to 5k range in great condition on the correct trailer Mike

Aug 16, 2016
Hey Mike, thanks for the advice. I do enjoy the work however not on the scale of Cloud Diver. I don't plan on spending 10k on it for sure, but a few bucks to bring it into a usable condition shouldn't be a bad thing. I still want to talk to you about that keel though. I will probably call you tomorrow.

Geoff

Jun 15, 2016
I was fortunate with my find. Initially with mine it looked like death warmed over. See my post on the 76 Cleaning and Refurbishing... but once cleaned, underneath all the muck was a solid foundation. Some surface cracks in the gelcoat but a solid core. I will need to redo the keel but that can wait until winter. It's taken most of the summer (mainly due to the heat here) but I'm hoping to put her in over Labor Day weekend.

Aug 16, 2016
Yes, I am finding out as I clean things up that it is not as bad as I originally thought. Compared to some of the ones I am reading about on this forum, mine is looking better and better all the time. The hull seems sound as in I haven't found any holes or cracks that would suggest it is not seaworthy. There aren't any soft spots in the decking that I have found yet suggesting any rot in the coring locations. Standing rigging is in usable condition. Jib halyard, jib sheet and main sheet needs replacing. Once I purchase a keel for it and the needed hardware associated with the lifting system the main part of the work could be done. After that it is no worse off than anyone elses boat.

It is more and more a learning tool that I will give a chance to to see if becomes something worth keeping, and I don't mean worth as in dollars and cents but rather satisfying to work on and to sail on. Problem solving to keep ones mind active, physical work to keep ones body active and satisfying to ones imagination and desires. I'm still looking her over and trying to evaluate what I am seeing and eventually put together a rough timeline if that is at all possible. yes I am very encouraged by the tales of woe and the successes I read on this forum. So here we go.

Geoff

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
There aren't any soft spots in the decking that I have found yet suggesting any rot in the coring locations.
That's the big thing IMO.
@spartacus99 actually had ants living in his boat due to rot in the stingers.
He gently sailed it, spending quality time with his family, until he got deployed.

Catalina was out of their mind to use wood coring below the waterline.
They stopped that when the came out with the New Style C22 in the mid 80's.

The keel isn't such an bad thing other than cost of getting one.
That's simply because you'd likely end up refurbishing it anyhow.
At this age, almost all of the C22's need their keel hardware replaced and their keels refinished.

If you enjoying working on boats, the C22, and other similar sized sailboats, ARE a good project.
And once you get out on the water in a sailboat, most people are hooked for life.

Even small ones are more expensive than people expect, but nowhere near as much money and work as a big keelboat.
The world if full of shattered dream keelboats sitting in yards, where the owners have given up, due to unreal expectations. Too much time spent staring at photos of the BVIs instead of spending time with a calculator or spreadsheet.

FWIW: My C22 is sitting around 8k USD (purchase, delivery and refit) so far.

Aug 16, 2016
When I owned my 1957 Alberg Sea Sprite 23 I did alot of that only instead of the BVI's it was Block Island, Marthas Vineyard and the Maine coast. I understand the possiblities of a long drawn out project and I'm good with that. Bikes, boats, dragsters whatever, we all face the possibility of our own dreams getting smashed. Put on your big boy pants and deal with it. I have before and I will again.

Geoff

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
And that spirit will indeed get you to where you want to be.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Bikes, boats, dragsters whatever, we all face the possibility of our own dreams getting smashed. Put on your big boy pants and deal with it. I have before and I will again.
Keep on keeping on, truly is the deal. A dream or plan doesn't die out, unless you quit.
As you say, the project itself can be rewarding in spite of the rational cost calculations.
I'm $15,000 into a frame up restoration of a 1990 pickup that will never be worth what it's costing me.
Next time I'll just buy someone else's finished restored vehicle, but I don't regret the money invested in the truck I'm restoring. At least not yet. hehe.
I've learned a lot in the process of restoring boats, cars, houses, doing landscaping etc. The only bad thing IMO is that friends don't just ask to borrow my truck now. :D

What did you think of the Sea Sprite ? There was one up on Lake Winnipeg years ago, and I love traditional boats. Was yours the weekender or daysailer version ?

Last edited: