Hauling/Launching Trailered Boats with a Strap or Rope

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
My 2wd truck was slipping like crazy at the ramp. I've heard of many people launching/retrieving with the trailer connected to the tow vehicle by a strap or line. I've done this with a smaller boat and the trailer jack wheel to support the tongue. What do you use to support the tongue of heavier boats/trailers?

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
We do this as a normal operation on our mountain lake launching boats up to 30' with straps. While the trailer tongue jack will work, It is a subject to collapse if it runs into a sand bar or other obstruction. Most people have fitted an auxiliary wheel (using the spare tire) to the tongue area of the trailer such that it can either be lowered or dropped into place to act as the tongue wheel. Sorry I don't have any picks. Make sure the wheel rolls easily and will allow the tongue of the trailer to go as low as possible.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
With the J24, we used the tow strap as a tongue extender and just used the trailers front wheel to support. With the 310, we have used a tongue extender - long metal bar with wheels under the crossbar/ball.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
We do this as a normal operation on our mountain lake launching boats up to 30' with straps. While the trailer tongue jack will work, It is a subject to collapse if it runs into a sand bar or other obstruction. Most people have fitted an auxiliary wheel (using the spare tire) to the tongue area of the trailer such that it can either be lowered or dropped into place to act as the tongue wheel. Sorry I don't have any picks. Make sure the wheel rolls easily and will allow the tongue of the trailer to go as low as possible.
Have seen J24 trailers set up like that. Has a pivoting axle, hub and spare tire assembly. Serves as both the trailer front wheel for launching/parking and as a spare axle, hub/brake assembly and spare tire for the trailer on the road.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I have a tow dolly (the kind for moving a trailer around by hand) that's rated for 600lbs. Any idea what kind of tongue weight is expected for a 25' boat?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
I have a tow dolly (the kind for moving a trailer around by hand) that's rated for 600lbs. Any idea what kind of tongue weight is expected for a 25' boat?
Should be about (no more than) 10 percent of the total trailer plus boat weight if balanced correctly.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
The dolly might be OK, You want to make sure you have a secure connection between the tow vehicle and the trailer. I've never seen anyone use a tow dolly but it should work as long as the trailer ball actually connects to the dolly and isn't just dropped on. One thing that happens sometimes is the trailer tongue will raise up and if that happened and the dolly came loose you could loose the trailer. We always attach the strap between the tow vehicle and the trailer so just be careful.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
We had the trailer tongue pop up when we went to unhitch. I can move the boat forward 1-4" but I'm not sure if that would help all that much when on a steep ramp (weight will "shift" towards rear of the trailer). Nothing has been easy with this boat. Problems have popped up at every step

Last edited:

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
We had the trailer tongue pop up when we went to unhitch. I can move the boat forward 1-4" but I'm not sure if that would help all that much when on a steep ramp (weight will "shift" towards rear of the trailer)
You would be surprised how much difference it makes to move a few inches forward. Also suggest you put your equipment that is inside the boat as far forward of the keel as you can. Get weight in the bow. Motor off the stern if possible. And, sandbags and/or a couple big buddies on the tongue, if needed. Can use a bathroom scale under the front wheel to get an accurate tongue weight. If you can lift it by hand, it's probably light.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
My 2wd truck was slipping like crazy at the ramp. I've heard of many people launching/retrieving with the trailer connected to the tow vehicle by a strap or line. I've done this with a smaller boat and the trailer jack wheel to support the tongue. What do you use to support the tongue of heavier boats/trailers?
Your light tongue weight may be contributing to your traction issue. Particularly if it lifts off the hitch when you release it.

What is the ramp surface/condition that you're working with? If it's a few inches of great fines and algae, a tongue extension or strap may be the only way around. If the ramp surface is damp concrete, putting extra weight in the truck bed might solve your problem.

Jan 22, 2008
Be very careful putting people on the tongue. a 200 lb person isn't as heavy as you think and if the tongue lifts up they are most likely to go with it in a dangerous way. You boat weights about 4500 lbs (give or take), add the trailer and all your gear and 10% of that should be about 500 lbs. And yes 2 or 3 inches forward on the trailer could be a big difference.

good luck and be safe.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
I have a challenging turn to get my boat into the garage. I cobbled this nose wheel together to help me maneuver it in - across a short turn in grass. It pins on where my small jack wheel goes. If you can get your tongue weight up, maybe a strap and something like this would work.

Pic in next post. Having difficulty with my tech...

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
You would be surprised how much difference it makes to move a few inches forward.
I can definitely speak from experience when towing. Just wasnt sure if being on a ramp would counteract the differences. Still well worth a shot and necessary to tow it out of the yard.

You boat weights about 4500 lbs
Should the trailer weight be taken into account when calculating tongue weights? I'm guessing it's 1500lbs??

I have a challenging turn to get my boat into the garage. I cobbled this nose wheel together to help me maneuver it in - across a short turn in grass. It pins on where my small jack wheel goes. If you can get your tongue weight up, maybe a strap and something like this would work.
This is almost the same thing as the trailer dolly I have except much heavier duty. For my 19' boat I had a similar issue except it was up an incline. I screwed two pieces of PVC onto two blocks of wood. One assembly per tire. Once chocked I would push the tongue to one side and move one block forward to rechock the wheel. It took a little while but it did the job

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Yeah they're not built well and they like to pop out from under the hitch. It really should have a third wheel

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
First launch of my Capri 22 WK put the wheels into the water with the exhaust bubbling in the water. NO float! Chocked the wheels unhitched from the vehicle and tied it to the hitch with 50 feet of anchor line wrapped multiple times. Unchocked one wheel and the trailer and boat went flying down the ramp with the schreds of the rope following. Luckily I had two helpers (I usually launch alone) who grabbed the trailer while I grabbed the boat. Other than the anchor line no damage and the quickest launch ever. Just bought a 4 foot hitch extender and having the trailer modified to float off easier. Only launch in the spring and retrieve in the fall. The trailer should be ready in a couple of weeks as retrieving is my hurricane strategy. Take the boat home and tie to the earth.