hauling boat off trailer?

Fidgit

Nov 16, 2019
Catalina 22 4042 Any water in driving distance!
hi all, I've got an Oday 25 and I'd like to get a good look at the centerboard/pendant. right now it's on the trailer, and Id considered blocking it myself, but that seems like it might be needlessly dangerous... like having a pickup truck blocked up 5 feet in the air, lol.
My best bet might be to trailer to a boat yard and have it hoisted off the trailer and blocked up by professionals, but I'm not sure what that costs, or where to take it.

for those of you with larger trailer sailers, do you have the boat hauled? or do you do it yourselves?
Is there anyone in the south-central WI. area that could recommend a marina/yard that has this capability?

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Safest method is to trailer the boat to a boat yard and arrange for it to hoist your sailboat off your trailer and set it on a fit-for-purpose cradle.

You might find these threads helpful.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Launch the boat and drop the board. Find some finger docks in which 3 or 4 are empty. Tie boat to side of one dock that is on one side of these empty docks. Allow about 6 to 8 feet of mooring line from the dock to the boat.

Tie anchor line to end of main halyard and take extended line to furthest dock. Run end of line through hole in dock cleat.

A 22 foot boat can be pulled over till the top of the gunwales will be under water by one person, may take 2 or 3 fellows for a 25 foot boat to pull it over.

If the distance of the mooring lines is correct, the keel with the center board will be pointing towards the dock and only 3 or feet under the surface of the water for easy inspection.

Fidgit

Nov 16, 2019
Catalina 22 4042 Any water in driving distance!
that's an interesting strategy Watercolors II.. if i had such a dock, i might try it...
I did see those threds sfbay, and I had thought of trying to do it myself, but there's 4000# of balast in the keel of my 25.. that's a lot of potential damage if it were to fall..
I'm planning to go out tomorrow, and I'll see if I can see the keel through the murk of lake mendota.. if not, ill call around to see if any of the local Marinas have a gantry that could get my boat in the air.. hopefully I don't have to drive clear to lake Michigan to find one, lol.

thanks for the advice, I'll let you know what I end up with.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
Not that it makes much of a practical difference to your concern, but your whole boat weighs about 4000#, your ballast is less than 2000#.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
As a fellow owner of a an Oday 25 ,perhaps I can offer some help. The shoal draft keel weighs 1800 pounds .
Raising the boat while still on the trailer is both possible and safe . Takes time and caution. I've also used scuba gear to free the centerboard while the boat is in the water . By the way ,I'm in Lake Mills 20 minutes east of you .Feel free to message me if you have any problems