Bottom painting on a trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
Well, I read a lot, thought about it a lot, and when the paint arrived, I dove in. The 73 Oday 22 I recently purchased (for a pittance) is in reasonable shape considering her age (still much younger than I), but being a first time sailboat owner I was not sure of what awaited me. She seemed reasonably sound at the time, and now, after much more detailed inspection I think I am aware of all of her faults.

The hull was my immediate concern (after all, what is a boat in not a hull), because my trailerable sailboat is destined for a marina. I launched her once at a public boat launch, not a bad experience except for the long drive to a steep enough ramp, but recovery, that was a nightmare - partly because of the awkwardness of the boat itself, but mostly because of the other idiots, un, boaters, that were competing for ramp time. Sorry, never again.

But of course I'm posting here in the trailer sailor forum because as of today, I am indeed a trailer sailor, and that has given me a distinct advantage as a do-it-yourselfer.

Before she goes in, and each off-season, I will pull her out and perform the due diligence of bottom maintenance.

Painting on a trailer is rather non-technical, except for how to get under the rails (as I call them). I employed the technique of jacking the trailer all the way down, supporting the rear, than jacking it up to lift the rear off the trailer. When dry, I reversed and did the opposite for the front.

I also repaired some of the more severe blisters, though many smaller ones still remain and will be dealt with this winter. Here as some photos of my progress so far, showing the small but workable clearance I achieved through jacking. The precarious angle of the saw horses on the rear of the boat caught my attention after I took the photo and was corrected, though due to the boat resting firmly on the front portion of the trailer there was never any danger of collapse.

Attachments

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Check out my post [bottom painting on trailer } My supports seem a little safer!!!

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
Check out my post [bottom painting on trailer } My supports seem a little safer!!!
Ah yes, I remember reading that one! Indeed, it does look much safer, but as I'm still here my saw horses were up to the task. Mind you, I did not take it lightly (no pun intended) and was quite sure the loads were not excessive. But you have inspired me, and when I get my garage cleaned out enough to see the floor I will build some cradles.

Thanks.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Recovery nightmare

To help you with your nightmare recovery, I see two trailer mods that will help with that.

1. If the boat and trailer tows nicely with the boat in it’s present position, move the winch up the post so the winch is just level or a little higher than the bow eye. You will have too move the entire post forward and I see you also have that adjustment ability. The next two paragraphs I suggested to a fellow modifying a trailer.

Your winch is too low, it should be level or slightly higher than the bow eye. With the winch lower the pull is down on the bow thus holding the stern up, the pivot point is the front lollers or the front edge of a bunk, as your winch pulls down on the bow when at the ramp, because of it’s angle the stern is floating above the rear trailer roller or bunk. When you pull the boat out of the water the stern settles down on the rear rollers or bunk thus lifting the bow away from the bow stop roller.

What your want is the reverse too happen, with the winch level or slightly higher, as you pull the boat forward on the trailer you’re lifting the bow and sinking the stern to start matching the angle of the ramp so when the stern settles down on the rear rollers or a bunk the lift is not as great on the bow.

2. Keel guides, raise them up till they almost touch the bottom of the hull. With them up high they will catch the keel as the boat enters the back of the trailer and guide the hull into it’s exact position the first time. With them that low your keel is not using them until the hull is all the way forward or when you pull the trailer out of the water and the hull settles down on the trailer.

Make the keel guides so they can be removed for future bottom painting, raising the winch will not create any repair interference.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.