Hatch lens replacement Puget Sound area

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I'd like to replace the hatch lens on my Y33. Does anyone have any recommendations for shops in the Puget Sound area?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Suggest removing the lens and have Clear Plastics in Seattle cut a custom marine hatch lens and buy a replacement seal and gasket from the hatch manufacturer then reassemble OR remove the hatch cover and send it to Hatchmasters for a replacement lens, gasket and seal.

Nov 21, 2012
Thanks, Sail. I sent an inquiry to Hatchmasters, but shipping might be a problem. The hatch cover is 26" x 28" and could be really expensive to get it there and back. I'll try Clear Cut Plastics.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Recent quote from Hatchmasters for 20 x 20 hatch replacement lens, gasket and seal was $502 plus shipping cost, which I should be modest. I guess you would only have them replaced there IF you do not know the manufacturer and model AND did not want to have them replaced by yourself or your local boat contractor.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If you are good with DYI, you can save a bunch of dollars on a job like that.. I bought a new smoked acrylic lens (20 X 20, by 3/8 thick) for $60 A tube of 795 sealant was about $9.. a couple of hours of removal and cleanup and replacement later, it was done.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I've found this product to work very well for bonding acrylic (PMMA) or polycarbonate - especially into aluminum frames.

Even if you don't use it, that document helps you think about the constraints surrounding the polymer/frame "needs".

The Sika system is certainly going to cost you a lot more than the $9 for the 795. But it also gives me a better feeling of adhesion to the various materials in this combination...If I was going off-shore, Id use the Sika system.

dj

Nov 21, 2012
Thanks for the input. I'm a DIY kinda guy and the hatch is custom. About 25x27. I sent emails to Hatchmasters and Select Plastics. Also checked with a plastics supplier. I've got a temporary plywood hatch ready to go.

Nov 21, 2012
I've found this product to work very well for bonding acrylic (PMMA) or polycarbonate - especially into aluminum frames.

Even if you don't use it, that document helps you think about the constraints surrounding the polymer/frame "needs".

The Sika system is certainly going to cost you a lot more than the $9 for the 795. But it also gives me a better feeling of adhesion to the various materials in this combination...If I was going off-shore, Id use the Sika system.

dj
dj -

I appreciate the reference. It is both thorough and educational. However, the total for the Sika system (205 Aktivator, 210T Primer, 295 sealant, and Sika UV tape (which does not seems to be available in the US) would be $145. The supplies would cover more than one hatch, but that's all I have to do.

I found some bronze 3/8 cast acrylic ($73.50 plus shipping) and plan to use 3M VHB heavy duty tape ($10) and the Dow 795 ($17) unless somebody waves me off.

Mike

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
dj -

I appreciate the reference. It is both thorough and educational. However, the total for the Sika system (205 Aktivator, 210T Primer, 295 sealant, and Sika UV tape (which does not seems to be available in the US) would be $145. The supplies would cover more than one hatch, but that's all I have to do.

I found some bronze 3/8 cast acrylic ($73.50 plus shipping) and plan to use 3M VHB heavy duty tape ($10) and the Dow 795 ($17) unless somebody waves me off.

Mike
Are you crossing oceans? If not, use the DOW 795. If I was doing the southern ocean, I'd invest in the Sika system. If not, the DOW sounds fine.

dj

Nov 21, 2012
Not impossible with this boat, but not likely.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Sika was used with my cabin windows. They fell out twice in three yrs. professionally installed. No more. 795 works great

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Sika was used with my cabin windows. They fell out twice in three yrs. professionally installed. No more. 795 works great
Well, that certainly has not been my experience. I've found that system to be rock solid. It makes me question the professionality of your professionals that did the installation... But not having been there, I can't even begin to guess...

dj

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I did mine a couple years ago with the Sika system. Rock solid so far. I have a bunch of the primer left over if you want it. I don’t know what its shelf life is after being opened.

Nov 21, 2012
I did mine a couple years ago with the Sika system. Rock solid so far. I have a bunch of the primer left over if you want it. I don’t know what its shelf life is after being opened.
It's measured in weeks. Appreciate the thought though.

Nov 21, 2012
I shopped around a bit and got the cost for the Sika system down to $85 exclusive of the tape. Are there any alternatives to the tape? The only supply I could find on the web was in Latvia on Ebay and it wouldn't arrive until APRIL 23rd at the earliest, which won't work

If I can solve the tape issue and if anyone needs some soonish let me know and I will be happy to share the 205 and 209. You'll need to use it in a few weeks. Hazmat shipping I expect. You'll need your own tube(s) of 295-UV. I'll probably order around the 17th.

Nov 21, 2012
I wonder if I could get the whole top of the hatch wrapped with the car bra stuff. That's supposedly UV inhibiting.

Dec 15, 2020
Swan 40 Seattle
My fwd hatch is tinted acylic and is curved. The boat is 50 years old the lens has never been replaced and is in good condition because I carry the dinghy over it. That keeps the UV off and I can open it in the rain. My fwd bunk is there. Good arrangement. Just my 2 c.

Nov 21, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion. Not possible due to the babystay. I also prefer to keep the hatch clear for emergency egress since there are no alternatives.