Hatch insignia? Identify old hatches?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Does anyone know this insignia is on a hatch? Is this an old Lemar hatch? Or is it something else? Anybody know?

dj

IMG_0079.JPG

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Have you looked on the inside of the frame to confirm the manufacturer? Then take a photo of the entire hatch from the top and underside and measure the inside lens and outside frame dimensions and contact the manufacturer to confirm the model. I just did that for 4 hatches on my new to me 1984 Symbol. You can also contact Select Plastics if you are looking to replace the lens, gasket and seal.

Select Plastics - Custom Plastic Manufacturing

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Could be an old Lewmar hatch. The inside handle looks similar to current designs and the frame looks like a Lewmar. Photos of the handles from the inside and the hinges would help.

Select Plastics/Hatchmaster do a nice job on replacing the gaskets and lenses. They worked on 2 of my hatches last year. Be forewarned, this is not an inexpensive project and last year at this time there was a 3-4 month turnaround.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I think that is from Goiot. It looks very much like the ones on my C&C that I just sent off to a company to have refurbished.
I believe you nailed it! That looks just like their insignia - and the boat was built in Europe so French hatches make a lot of sense.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Now - the task of replacing the lenses - I've done this before but never with the kinds of attachments these have. I'll have to see if I can figure out how those handles attach and if I can get them out of the existing lenses to put into new lenses... Or contact Goiot, or contact Select plastics... (or live with them as is, at least for the time being...)

Wish me luck!

dj

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Geeee OOH, emphasis on second syllable. Perhaps with a nasal emphasis to the sound, and arch one eyebrow while saying it......
:)

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
............Now - the task of replacing the lenses............Or contact......Select plastics...... (or live with them as is, at least for the time being...)
Just got a quote from Select Plastics for replacing three 36 year old, severely scratched fore deck 20x20 inch Bomar hatch lens (polishing did not remove the scratches) with new heavy duty marine acrylic lens, gasket and seal for $502 each and 6 week lead time. Since the lens are not crazed and the seals do nit leak I just installed new sunbrella hatch covers for a fraction of that cost. Now the hatch scratches are sight unseen.

Jan 11, 2014
Just got a quote from Select Plastics for replacing three 36 year old, severely scratched fore deck 20x20 inch Bomar hatch lens (polishing did not remove the scratches) with new heavy duty marine acrylic lens, gasket and seal for $502 each and 6 week lead time. Since the lens are not crazed and the seals do nit leak I just installed new sunbrella hatch covers for a fraction of that cost. Now the hatch scratches are sight unseen.
It is not inexpensive to have SelectPlastics replace the lens. Last year that was about what I paid for 2 Lewmar hatches with new gaskets and lens. We now have sunbrella covers to protect the lenses when we are not using the boat.

The crazing and cracking is not just a cosmetic issue, the acrylic becomes weaker with UV exposure and thus more prone to with impact. :(

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Good to know.

I now know that I don't even have to talk to Select Plastics. Let's see, you have 20" X 20" Bomar hatch lens, how thick is that acrylic? 1/4"? A 24" X 24" X 1/4" clear sheet of cast acrylic from McMaster is about $60.... Of course I'd have to buy the adhesives needed, so that ups that base price a bit. But I can probably do all my hatches for less than the $502 - of course, I'm not paying myself any $'s for my labor... But, I do look at this as my out-of-pocket requirements and then have to figure in when I'll have the time... But these are pretty easy to do...

dj

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Smart choice. When you decide you need new lenses, just do it yourself. Acrylic comes in a variety of thicknesses, so you should be able to duplicate what you have. I did mine, and changed over from smoked to translucent white. Still let in a ton of light, but not as much direct sunshine. I also went a bit thicker than the original, just in case someone stepped on a hatch due to unforeseen circumstances.

Acrylic cuts with a jigsaw, edges can be sanded/radiused, and you just bond it in with the correct sealant (which deserves careful research). Note that just as in painting, preparation is the key. It took me longer to clean up and polish the hatch frames and seal channels than it did to cut, finish and install the lenses AND seals. It is very possible that the store here at SBO has the seals you may need - they did for my Hunter. I think I spent $150 in materials to do two hatches. Even with you having three, you'd spend MUCH less than the $1500 you were quoted. And the boat would only be without hatches for a two or three days, not 6 weeks.

Edit: dLj types faster than me.:)

Jan 11, 2014
Good to know.

I now know that I don't even have to talk to Select Plastics. Let's see, you have 20" X 20" Bomar hatch lens, how thick is that acrylic? 1/4"? A 24" X 24" X 1/4" clear sheet of cast acrylic from McMaster is about $60.... Of course I'd have to buy the adhesives needed, so that ups that base price a bit. But I can probably do all my hatches for less than the $502 - of course, I'm not paying myself any $'s for my labor... But, I do look at this as my out-of-pocket requirements and then have to figure in when I'll have the time... But these are pretty easy to do...

dj
Lewmar hatches have ½" acrylic lens. If you have the time and patience to replace the lens then it is worth the effort. One issue with Lewmar Ocean hatches is the gasket. The lens needs to be removed in order to replace the gasket. My understanding is replacing the gasket is a bit tricky and not one I wanted to learn. Since the gaskets needed to be replaced and the lenses were crazed and clouded, we replaced both.

It is much easier to replace the lenses on Bomar hatches. A new lens can be ordered from Bomar that is cut to fit the hatch. Then it is simply a matter of removing the old lens, cleaning up the frame and reinstalling the new lens. The gaskets can be replaced without removing the lens. I did this on my last boat. If I had Bomar hatches on my current boat, I would have done the job myself.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Lewmar hatches have ½" acrylic lens. If you have the time and patience to replace the lens then it is worth the effort. One issue with Lewmar Ocean hatches is the gasket. The lens needs to be removed in order to replace the gasket. My understanding is replacing the gasket is a bit tricky and not one I wanted to learn. Since the gaskets needed to be replaced and the lenses were crazed and clouded, we replaced both.

It is much easier to replace the lenses on Bomar hatches. A new lens can be ordered from Bomar that is cut to fit the hatch. Then it is simply a matter of removing the old lens, cleaning up the frame and reinstalling the new lens. The gaskets can be replaced without removing the lens. I did this on my last boat. If I had Bomar hatches on my current boat, I would have done the job myself.
1/2" certainly ups the price to about $110 per 24X24 piece.

I've likely got Goiot hatches. The seals are fine, and don't have any interference with the lens, at least at this point as far as I could tell. Additionally, on these small lens structures, I prefer the modern formulations of the UV and scratch resistant polycarbonate. I know, I know, the whole acrylic vs polycarbonate "war".... I've used both materials for many years. And if I'm going off-shore and getting clobbered (well, preferably only potentially clobbered) on these hatches by breaking waves, I much prefer the added impact resistance of the polycarbonate. Plus the modern formulations with UV resistance make the polycarbonate much more attractive - in my opinion.

dj

Jan 11, 2014
1/2" certainly ups the price to about $110 per 24X24 piece.

I've likely got Goiot hatches. The seals are fine, and don't have any interference with the lens, at least at this point as far as I could tell. Additionally, on these small lens structures, I prefer the modern formulations of the UV and scratch resistant polycarbonate. I know, I know, the whole acrylic vs polycarbonate "war".... I've used both materials for many years. And if I'm going off-shore and getting clobbered (well, preferably only potentially clobbered) on these hatches by breaking waves, I much prefer the added impact resistance of the polycarbonate. Plus the modern formulations with UV resistance make the polycarbonate much more attractive - in my opinion.

dj
Also check TAP Plastics for either acrylic or polycarbonate sheets. Also check with SelectPlastics for lens material.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Also check TAP Plastics for either acrylic or polycarbonate sheets. Also check with SelectPlastics for lens material.
tap plastics is a good source, especially for cast acrylic. I've never seen them carry UV, Scratch resistant polycarbonate however. I just looked on their website now also, and did not see it - I only see the scratch resistant variety. I might give them a call though. Thanks for the tip.

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Just a bit of an update. I emailed Goiot and they responded. Told me everything I needed to know, sent me a link to the part numbers since the beginning of time, really. Told me what the material is, what the adhesive is, pretty much everything I need to know. And also they have a company in the US that can send me the replacement lens and correct adhesive to fix these.

All I can say is: that is awesome support - these hatches are almost 40 year old! And Goiot is still fully supporting them! I'm really impressed.

Now let's see how the US side responds... One step at a time...

dj