Has anyone tried these heat exchanger brackets?

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
For whatever reason when I reinstalled my heat exchanger the space was a bit tight for the exhaust hose. I have the newer HX with the hoops for mounting. Saw these and was wondering if they were worthwhile as there is nearly an inch between the front of the HX and the rear of the motor there.

Also hoping the clamps can be opened up so you can slide them around rather that on from the ends.

Attachments

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Ray
If you install this set up make sure the outside of the bracket is facing you.
Just opposite of that your picture shows.
That way there will be 1/8" between the heat exchanger and the engine housing and you will have room for the trans dip stick to come out to check oil.

Here is a picture of mine showing the WRONG way to install.

paulj:hook2:

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2013
Catalina 310 Channel Islands Harbor
I installed these brackets a few years ago. They are worth it. Much more heavy duty then the original ones.
It has been awhile, I think you can install them with out disconnecting any of the hoses.
Jeff

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
My replacement brackets were one piece, like the originals, but much heavier duty. It took some prying to gain enough room to get at the tranny dipstick.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I have been using these for 3-4 years, about 900 hours. They are great. Still perfect. I did use some rubber tabe between the exchanger and the bracket.

Jesse

Sep 29, 2008
You guys are awesome when I have these nagging and somewhat obscure/hard to research issues. Thanks All!

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I believe I manufactured my own using SS hose clamps, no problems since.

Sep 29, 2008
I figured once PaulJ endorsed them they were the cats meow. :clap: I got them off Catalina Direct along with some other stuff.

Witz, since you are in Maryland, if I have a fishing pole onboard, when I leave Quantico (which is in Virginia) and am in the Potomac proper (which is Maryland) am I covered under essential activities (such as for fishing)? And do I need a Maryland or Virginia fishing license. Asking for a friend. :biggrin:

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I figured once PaulJ endorsed them they were the cats meow. :clap: I got them off Catalina Direct along with some other stuff.

Witz, since you are in Maryland, if I have a fishing pole onboard, when I leave Quantico (which is in Virginia) and am in the Potomac proper (which is Maryland) am I covered under essential activities (such as for fishing)? And do I need a Maryland or Virginia fishing license. Asking for a friend. :biggrin:
Good question. Here is what my marina (Bay Boats on the N.E river)said about moving boats:
Whether or not DNR is recognizing these statements is any ones quess.
"You can bring your boat from home to put into your slip/mooring/land store.

You can have your boat launched and put into your slip/mooring (if you have one here at Bay Boat for the summer)

You can have your boat launched and you are allowed to move it to another marina (make sure you check with your marina to see if they will allow you to come in).

You are allowed to travel into Maryland from another state by roadway and waterway to bring your boat to the marina."

Whether or not DNR is recognizing these statements is any ones guess.
Exercise is also allowed by Hogan's directives, but a kayak club on the Severn was told not to go out.
This is an interesting read.

Sep 29, 2008
As a follow-up, I did get the new brackets and they are cut above the looped brackets which are a world of difference better than the original brazed on ones.