handheld VHf?

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
HaHa! Well they do have helicopters. Still your neighbor with DSC can get the alert as well. This is a fairly gear friendly site we like our complications.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
I have used a handheld on my Precision since purchased. Best thing I did was connect it to an antenna clamped to the stern rail and a quick connect coupler, range increase was amazing. Hung the radio on the backstay in easy reach.Antenna in this photo is 7 ft., hidden by the backstay, wire is long enough to have radio in the cabin if wanted.
FB_IMG_1592702081887.jpg

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Bought an Icom M-25 and couldn't be happier. Around $100.00, and floats. You can program an alarm into it to flash and scream at you when it goes overboard to help find it. That feature does work. Couldn't resist the temptation to throw it in to see if it floated and the alarms would go off

Dec 5, 2022
J-Boat 19 California
I have used this radio throughout the boating season. I ride my boat quite often and haven't had any problems. The radio works as it should, communications are clear, lots of customizable settings, great battery life (I only had to charge it once this season and left it on for days), very durable feel and great accessories to charge or plug straight into the ship.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
As mentioned above sometimes the received messages are hard to understand. My latest handheld (ICOM M73) has a feature that records the last message, which can be re-played until understood. Unfortunately this radio utilizes multifunction buttons which only teenagers can work. I think all handhelds have poor sound quality. I was getting pumped out the other day and the pumpout boat had a speaker somewhere on deck that was playing all received radio messages. That sound quality was excellent and probably due to the larger size of that speaker. I tried an ear piece plug in on another handheld and that did not help much with understanding what was coming over the air. You can also buy a wired remote mic/speaker for your below deck radio.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yeah, Dave, no kidding. Posts over a year old should be locked.
There may be posts worth keeping alive and being reborn, so an automatic locking would be a bit dramatic.

Checking the date of the thread you are reading would be simple enough.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
So, go buy one. They are nice to communicate with crew who are away on a dinghy or ashore, or if you are away. just remember when you talk on the VHF, everyone within ear shot can hear your conversation. I remember a guy on his radio telling another boater that he had a fancy for a woman who worked on one of the nearby light houses. He went on and on about his passion and I got on line and reminded him she probably was listening to him as well. He never gave that a thought before I told him. End of communication LOL. And, like the radio in your boat, you have to use the same protocols.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
So, go buy one. They are nice to communicate with crew who are away on a dinghy or ashore, or if you are away. just remember when you talk on the VHF, everyone within ear shot can hear your conversation. I remember a guy on his radio telling another boater that he had a fancy for a woman who worked on one of the nearby light houses. He went on and on about his passion and I got on line and reminded him she probably was listening to him as well. He never gave that a thought before I told him. End of communication LOL. And, like the radio in your boat, you have to use the same protocols.
See post #29... uh... and #32...:facepalm: