Hand held VHF

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Kings Gambit: Thats cool that you also use the walkies as my wife and I do too. Saves the batteries on our h/h VHF's! I was fired up about the GPS/VHF handhelds as well but sounds like too much current draw. I have a h/h GPS and thats handy for cockpit and dinghy use. I use the HD5 Lowrance GPS/fishfinder in the cockpit too. Chief
Yeah-- it is cool, and they [the walkies] have a fairly good range! You're the only other cruiser I've "met" so far that uses them. Also, whereas a normal VHF does not use much power while on but not transmitting, the GPS VHF is "working" when it's on. Just like a hand-held dedicated GPS unit. So if you're also transmitting using the GPS-VHF, you lose battery power fairly quickly in comparison to a regular unit.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
KG: As you may remember, Carole and I are kayakers and fish the Colorado river each winter in Arizona. The walkies are great to use in a kayak as they are so small and light. Just clip them to your shirt and your ready. Our kayaks are inflatables so we carry them when on the Pacific ocean sometimes plus the inflatable dinghy. Its great fun to use the kayaks in the bays! Wise to carry the VHF's as well on our nasty ocean when kayaking though.
May be down your way in the fall as we have never been to Catalina. I am sure you have been there many times.
Chief

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
May be down your way in the fall as we have never been to Catalina. I am sure you have been there many times.
Chief
We just brought the boat back to Channel Islands from Isthmus Cove (Two Harbors, Catalina) yesterday, returning from our trip to San Diego that we started last month. Motored all the way; windless slop almost right away followed by SCA conditions near Oxnard; wind on the nose (NW). Wife was sick nearly the whole 10-hr trip but still loves me!; took her to dinner last night. The island is the same as forever; the management of its facilities and services has changed some--toward the not so much better. If you want "pointers" I'd be happy to oblige!!

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
KG: Thanks, will contact you when we get close to departure. My best, Chief

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
I installed a remote mic on my H285 and love it. A command mic 3 I the Icom M-504 radio. took about two hours total complete with rain cap for connector in cockpit.