Hand held VHF

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 33.5 Sackets Harbor
Just curious, those of you that have purchased a hand held VHF marine radio, is it a great asset or is it just something else you store in the chart table.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
A great asset

99% of our radio usage is letting marinas know we are approaching. Our handheld has plenty of range for that, and it is so convenient to use in the cockpit.

We also listen on 16. Plenty of battery life for an 8 hour cruise, and easy to recharge off our main battery. If we were close enough to help in an urgent situation, we would also be in radio range.

We have the longer range of our masthead antenna and the set in the cabin if we need it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We also listen on 16. Plenty of battery life for an 8 hour cruise, and easy to recharge off our main battery. If we were close enough to help in an urgent situation, we would also be in radio range.

We have the longer range of our masthead antenna and the set in the cabin if we need it.
We do the same. I call bridges to open, marinas usually booked in advance or by cell phone. Hardly ever use the one down below.

But lots depends on where you sail. The Chesapeake, PNW and FL have LARGE bodies of water, compared to our much smaller Bay, so the extra height would help. When I sail the ocean here, HH is OK, too, 'cuz the CG has antennas on mountains! :)

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Ship's radio is the cabin out of immediate reach. Always carry my handheld in the cockpit. Besides, if the 12v system goes out you always have a backup.
-R

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Believe it or not, my handheld is attached to my vest when I am at the helm. The main VHF is on, but that is down below. So the handheld stays with me, 100% of the time.

Dec 28, 2014
Hunter 280 Mandeville, LA
My previous boat had an extension speaker at the helm in the cockpit and the radio mounted just inside the companionway hatch; it could be accessed from the cockpit. My current 280 has only the VHF down below mounted in the overhead console, nice but I have to go below to access it. I have had a handheld that I carry when kayaking and now keep that handy at the helm, particularly when single-handing.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
My fixed VHF is mounted on the pedestal but is too low to easily see the channel numbers with sunglasses. So it stays on 16 and the hand held calls bridges and marinas. I also have occasionally taken it in the dink when going a long distance.

Currently need to get a new one. The battery needs to be replaced and it costs over half the price of a new radio.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I have inflatable kayaks and an outboard powered dinghy so I have 2 handhelds as well as portable compasses and VHF. We get some very dense fog and big seas up here on occasion. Chief

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Believe it or not, my handheld is attached to my vest when I am at the helm. The main VHF is on, but that is down below. So the handheld stays with me, 100% of the time.
Great idea. I'm gonna do that now. I don't really need mine often but I discovered this past week that it really does float. The glow-in-the-dark feature doesn't work worth a crap. The makes-a-loud-splash feature works great, though.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Mostly Sits

My handheld VHF is basically a safety measure. I have a main built in VHF at the helm and a second at the chart table. Each antenna is separate, the main at the masthead, the second on the radar tower. When on the dinghy, I try to remember to always bring the handheld. There have been more than several cases of deaths in drifting dinghies, mostly in the Channel Islands areas.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Puget Sound, handheld is all we normally use. We do have a fixed mount radio, but never needed to use it except one time when we ran the HH battery down after a few days use.

Ken

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Ship's radio is the cabin out of immediate reach. Always carry my handheld in the cockpit. Besides, if the 12v system goes out you always have a backup.
-R
Agreed.
Also the newer handheld units have dsc with gps built in.
I was going to go to the trouble of adding a remote mic in the cockpit but am now reconsidering given the full features on the handheld. 1 to 5 watts is adequate on the bay and the cg always comes in loud and clear.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
This season I bought a new hand held with DSC & GPS for the added safety of having DSC Emergency Call.
If I am solo I carry the radio and when wife and friends join me I just explain how to use the emergency button and thats it. Increases my safety and theirs.
We always have it on and monitoring 16 when away from the slip. We never turn on the fixed mount anymore.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
This season I bought a new hand held with DSC & GPS for the added safety of having DSC Emergency Call.
If I am solo I carry the radio and when wife and friends join me I just explain how to use the emergency button and thats it. Increases my safety and theirs.
We always have it on and monitoring 16 when away from the slip. We never turn on the fixed mount anymore.
Hi Ward
You bring up an interesting point. With handhelds now being full featured, how much need is there for a fixed mount in coastal sailing?
(I AM NOT talking about the great lakes or mid ocean but about within sight of land where most of us spent most of our time. I would venture to quess that in both the Barnegat and Cheseapeake Bays we are rarely even out sight of the GC and mostly have other boats within sight too.)
Let me know if you get to MD this year.
Larry

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Caveat Emptor... before you ditch that below deck 25 watt radio, you might want to test that handheld to determine its useful range. A lot of radios these days are either badly made or have bad antennas, or both. I realize that the vast majority of you guys would never get rid of the big radio, but just something to think about.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Emergencies......................redundancy. Chief
We have 3 hand-held VHF radios plus a mounted unit below with an external cockpit mic. One, my wife carries, one stays in the cockpit when travelling, and the third--the newest one w/GPS & DSC--stays attached to my belt when I'm working the boat. Now, I keep it turned OFF (and fully charged) after learning how fast the battery drains on a GPS hand-held VHF. After all, it's not that much good to you if the battery charge is near its end when your emergency arises! On my last trip (still in progress) the cockpit mic went dead. Sure, I'll probably fix or replace it but how nice to just switch to the hand held for monitoring and for voice contact from the cockpit. Who do I talk to when cruising not in the company of other boats? Well, we don't have many bridge tenders along the CA coast (b/c there is no ICW), so it's Harbor Masters/Police or dockmasters, depending on where I'm arriving. Sure, now with cell phones, we do a lot of communication that way as well.

I've always have one (but now sometimes two; one the GPS unit which is switched off) in the dink when using it offshore at the islands. If I don't have the second VHF in the dink and I'm alone (wife on the boat), I carry a walkie so I can still "ring her up" on the mother ship if there's an issue, etc.

BJV

Jun 8, 2004
Island Trader 41 foot Ketch, CC Arnold
We have two, plus ram mike in cockpit. Leave main on 16 and use hand held for bridges, marinas and other boats.
Also always take one in dinhy.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Kings Gambit: Thats cool that you also use the walkies as my wife and I do too. Saves the batteries on our h/h VHF's! I was fired up about the GPS/VHF handhelds as well but sounds like too much current draw. I have a h/h GPS and thats handy for cockpit and dinghy use. I use the HD5 Lowrance GPS/fishfinder in the cockpit too. Chief