HAND HELD RADIO WITH GPS VS STANDARD MARINE RADIO WITH MAST MOUNTED ANTENNA

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Les ‘s 870 has another feature he recently shared. It can record a track of your cruising. This track can be downloaded. This way you can remember where you have been.

Now if only I could get a radio to track where I should be. Now that would be interesting.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Not quite. The handset repeats the base station, but doesn't have its own VHF capability. It just passes data via Bluetooth or similar protocol to the base station which then forwards it. Works great walking around the boat, but I wouldn't count on the handset/base link to hold up if I went overboard.
David is correct. The handheld has no direct VHF capabilities. The base unit must be on and within range (I am not sure how far that is..certainly on my boat is in range).

It is almost like a wireless RAM mic....

Greg

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Now if only I could get a radio to track where I should be. Now that would be interesting.
I have an 8-year-old for that. She's happy to run my life for me. If you need, I'm sure she'd be happy to run yours too. :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thank you Aaron I'll give that some serious thought. It might be a great solution.