Hand cranking diesel

Dec 28, 2009
Macgregor M25 trailer
Alexco38, It's real if I remember right they were called a Kauffman starter, another one was an inertial starter, which was a geared up fly wheel that you cranked untill it was up to speed then pulled the handle to engage. That was how I started my old N3N, navy version of a Stearman many many moons ago.

Fred

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Yeh I had that in the lifeboat and the generator for the radio station. I was a Spark (Radio Officer) in the early days.

You wound it up about 10-20 times, get ready and pull the red knob. She will start for sure.

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 340 St Andrews Bay
Quick Survey asks if we have decomp levers to hand crank the engine. The answer is no we don't have decomp levers to hand crank the engine, but we do have them to
a. spin the engine when the batteries are low and get it started; and
b. spin the engine when trying to reprime the fuel and use fewer amps thus save the batteries.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
It is real. Expansion gases in the chamber spins the engine in those old airplane engines.

Dec 7, 2004
Catalina 320 Lakeshore, Miss.
I hand cranked my one-cyl. Yanmar many times. The ability to do that provided a great sense of security on a boat that originally had only one battery. I had to order from Yanmar a crank handle which engaged the end of the camshaft. This gave you two revs of the crankshaft for every one of the handle. That allowed faster rotation of the crank but doubled the necessary force. Since it was a high-compression engine with no glow plugs, it was impossible to crank without the compression release. Needing two hands on the crank, I never started it without a third hand on the release. It worked great for me. Richard

Aug 3, 2011
Ericson 35MKII Alameda, Ca
I know this thread is about hand cranking but to reduce the risk of dead batteries I rigged my boat with 2 house banks on the standard 1-2-B-Off switch plus a third battery strictly wired to start the engine. Once the engine is started I can switch in the house banks for charging.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I also wholeheartedly recommend keeping a small jump starter battery on board. When my Universal wouldn't start cause of dead battery banks, I pulled out & hooked up the jump starter & she started instantly. No hand cranking, back or wrist breaking involved.
Makes sailing life easier. Just remember to recharge the jump starter after use or your SOL!

qbee42

Aug 1, 2011
Wetherbee Northport 32 Northport, MI
chemical starting cigarettes

For those who must use a glow plug and wonder what you can do without electricity, there are chemical starting cigarettes. For the Sabb, each starting cigarettes looks like half a cigarette, and it is inserted into the nipple normally used for a glow plug. The starting cigarette chemically reacts with the diesel fuel to make heat.

I carry a tin of them just in case, but so far I have never used one since the weather in our cruising season never gets down to 40 below. In ordinary freezing weather the Sabb Model G starts just fine on compression.

Tom

Feb 8, 2009
Sabre 34 MK-1 Annapolis, MD
I have a friend whose glow plugs were all burned out. He didn't know the reason the engine wouldn't start, just that it wouldn't. He routinely sprayed WD-40 into the air intake, and it would start right up.

All that stopped when I said "what's up with that?" and found out the plugs were dead. New plugs, rewired ignition switch (the old switch was wired to make them ALWAYS hot!), and no more WD-40.

A nice fall back if it won't start easily.

Harry

Dec 7, 2003
- - Houston
Like why even try it?

I had a frightening experience while attempting to hand-crank start a 7 hp Yanmar on our Hunter 27 (Ocean Gypsy) in 1976 off Fajardo Puerto Rico. It's one of those mistakes that you never forget. It's been awhile since I told this story but I'll give it a go this morning while the coffee pot is brewing.

My wife and I woke up that morning on the hook near the east end of Puerto Rico. That’s when I got the bright idea to practice hand crank starting my diesel. The thought process at the time was just to know how to do it in case of an emergency befalling us at some point in the future when we least expected.

It was one of those lazy cruising mornings when you're sitting around enjoying the sunrise and the moment on the water, but being young and energetic - thinking of all the things that needed to be done or the things one thought ought to be done.

So I justified it in a matter of a few minutes that knowing how and having the experience of successfully starting the diesel by hand cranking, was somehow elevated from nice to know to need to know.

My qualifications or should say rationalizations for thinking little of the physical challenge and requirements for the job of hand cranking a small diesel went something like this. I had been on the wrestling team while in high school and while in college and had in the not too distant past been fairly used to some pretty difficult physical stresses. And I'd easily kick-started a big Harley XLCH every day the previous year and rode it to work at an oil refinery in Wilmington California while living on the beach in Redondo. Since it was the only transportation I had at the time (it never rains in Southern California - right). I had even taught my 14 year old little bother who was visiting me that summer who weighed about 100lbs at the time, how to kick-start the Harley using momentum and technique. So I figured hand cranking a 7 hp Yanmar diesel would not be too serious of a challenge.

Back then we didn't have Bowflex, but if we had I could have qualified to make a Bowflex commercial appearance with my shirt off as I was more than a little ripped. Now-a-days I'm so old and flabby that my 5 year old grandson and I work out with the 15 lbs. dumbbell in the garage that I bought for my wife a few years back. And we think we've had a serious work out. He and I are equally matched so we make good work-out buddies.

But back then things we're different, like everybody is young once upon a time, and so shucks the thought of giving the Yanmar a go didn't seem like a serious concern.

The engine cover doubled as the stairway from the cabin up through the companion way into the cockpit. So I took the engine cover off and sat it behind me in the cabin. Then placed the hand crank on the flywheel fitting on the front of the engine, depressed the decompression chamber lever and started to crank for all I was worth. In a very short time the flywheel was moving faster than the engine was ever designed to run. About the time the flywheel couldn't possibly go any faster even if Arnold Schwarzenegger was cranking it, I released the decompression lever and continued to forcibly follow through and apply pressure with the crank motion. Then all of a sudden the strangest thing happened. Not only did I not successfully force and move the piston through the compression stroke, but it kicked back with such force and with enough power that it went through the compression stroke in reverse and the engine started and was now running in reverse stroke.

If I remember correctly, similar to the kick start on the Harley, the Yanmar diesel engine hand crank was designed to apply force in only one direction and had a screw type fitting where it attached to the flywheel which had the result of releasing when and if it kicked back. Which it did quite violently, but the crank design saved me from having been physically punished for my mistake. But I suddenly had a much different problem.

The engine was running in reverse stroke. It was choking, and coughing and sputtering but it was running in reverse stroke. For those that can’t imagine what this was like, may I try to explain it further. The engine was sucking intake air through the cooling water and engine exhaust line on the transom at the water line. And it was exhausting carbon monoxide diesel smoke fumes into the cabin though the air intake scooper mounted on the side of the engine. Which was the reason for it not running smoothly to say the least, but it was running. It was kind of like having down in the boat cabin an unfriendly fire-breathing dragon right in your face, and the dragon needed to be immediately slayed to save life and limb. The problem was compounded by the obvious escape routes being temporarily blocked (so running away was not an option). Behind me was the stairway engine cover blocking my retreat in that direction and ahead of me was the dragon requiring a high jump to leap over it and into the safety of the cockpit. Not to mention my frantic wife, wide-eyed but thankfully saying nothing while patiently waiting to be rescued. So my otherwise peaceful sunrise on the hook while cruising in the Caribbean had suddenly turned into a nightmare reality show.

Now at that point I could have leaped the beast, climbed into the cockpit, gone quickly forward, raised the anchor then returned to the cockpit and put the transmission gear in reverse and the boat would have traveled in a forward direction. Then I could have perversely claimed victory at having started the engine using the hand crank and in the process actually made some forward progress. However, my wildly racing thoughts at that instance were more on how to immediately stop the engine and hopefully salvage it from total destruction. My second concern of course was rescuing my wife.

Luckily no saltwater made it far enough up the exhaust line to actually enter the engine cylinder or the engine would have needed to be replaced. My wife did this once recently in her automobile, a Saturn Vue. She drove through a deep water puddle in a rain storm, deep enough to suck water into the air intake. Once a drop of water reaches the piston head the water doesn’t compress and the engine abruptly stops, with the results usually being a bent rod and or a bent crank shaft. After that if the engine will run at all it never runs quite right again (it shakes a little).

Back to the Yanmar and my 1976 emergency, I quickly deduced that to stop a diesel running in reverse stroke one would have to apply the same method needed to stop a diesel running in normal stroke, which was to put the fuel lever in the off position. Starve the beast!!!

It worked! The engine stopped. So now what? Thoughts racing again I quickly deduced the best medicine would be to start the engine in a more traditional approach using the electric starter and if it would start and run then let it run awhile and hopefully it would “clean” itself of whatever may have been sucked in through the exhaust. So that’s what I did.

It worked and ran ok and everything sounded fine. So after letting it run awhile I shut it down and got on the radio ship to shore channel and called a Yanmar dealer somewhere in Puerto Rico for advice. As many of you may know the 7 hp Yanmar was a single cylinder engine and nearly indestructible. The dealer told me I did exactly what he would have recommended to restart and run the engine in normal mode and let it run awhile. He then said there were only about 4 or 5 moving parts in the engine and to destroy it I would have had to use a grenade. He reassured me that the engine was going to be ok.

So if you attempt to start your marine diesel using the hand crank method I wish you luck. But if you've read this far, hopefully you were mildly entertained and may have learned something from my mistake. Like why even try it?

Kindest Regards,
JonBill

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2010
Morgan classic 41 South Daytona Beach, Fl.
I have an old Volvo MD7A in my 1981 Islander B30; it does not have glow plugs. It does have a large flywheel on the front of the engine and I can hand crank and start it without much trouble. Of course this is only a 13 HP engine.
We had the same engine in our Islander 28. We cruised for a full season with no batteries, NC inner coast, by hand cranking her. Got to where we could start her in under 30 seconds, from removing the companionway stairs to running at idle. When we sold her, the starter had fried, but the new owner wasn't concerned since he saw how easy and quick we could get her running.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
if you ever go to a indy car race they have these portable torque wrenches to start the cars (700 horsepower) that would be perfect for starting a diesel in a boat. Not sure if electric or pneumatic. Anyone have any info on them?

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
I have the hand crank option on my one cylinder yanmar that never gets used. I am getting my 2QM together now to install and think I am just going to take the hand cranking stuff off of it and seal that hole off. The compression release works great with almost dead batteries to get her started anyway.
I liked the 'jump start with the prop' post.:) I can just have my wife get behind the boat and swim real fast and push the boat until I get it started. I may just save the juice in the batteries and have her do that anyway.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
indy car ones are pneumatic.