Halyard Restrainer on Catalina 27

May 7, 2023
catalina 27 lake st clair
I need to install a halyard restrainer on my Catalina 27. The mast is down. Should I use Stainless Stell Rivets? SS screws? or Aluminum Rivets? If screw what kind? The only screws I've used in metal are pointed and that seems like a bad idea inside the mast. Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Aluminum rivets are the best choice. SS and aluminum masts don't get along due to corrosion.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I prefer rivets as they are easy to remove while screws, can be a pain if they decide to strip or corrode

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The pointy kind of metal screws are called self tapping.... but you can nip off the point and it will still thread itself into the hole you drill for it. Coat the hole with an anti corrosion product tef-gel or lanicoat. (I prefer the tef gel). The aluminum is pretty thin and the self tapping design will work well. I've used both aluminum and SS rivets on various boat applications. The SS is the strongest but many are wary of the corrosion issue. I found that aluminum will minimize the issues created by dissimilar metals, but...... wear and tear from the elements can affect the Non anodized fastener. That said, if you go with rivets, find the best quality aluminum you can. Another reason for using aluminum is that they are much easier to remove. SS is pretty damn hard to drill out making it easy to damage the aluminum surface and distort the hole. I learned this the hard way.

Last comment, while the self tapping screw can be trimmed to minimize its intrusion inside the mast, you cannot do the same with the "pop" style rivets. They are going to protrude into the spar significantly, though not sharp like the screw. In most cases this won't be an issue... I just wanted to remind you. Okay.... good luck... have fun in your C27:cool: