Halloween cruise

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
You could ask around Anacortes because there are a several of good marine riggers there.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Tartan 3700 Seattle - Elliot Bay
I am going to install the Mantus anchor mate to hold the tip of the anchor off the boat.
@jssailem Did you do this yet? The pad is loose on mine and wondering if that’s correct. It’s kind of difficult to tell where the correct position is, it’s totally subjective.

what are you using for an “anchor lock or tie down”? right now I’m just tying a bowline to the end of the shank and running around the drum on the windlass to keep the pull straight and then to a bow cleat and have a tie from the hoop to the top of pulpit. The alignment isn’t right for a pin through the cheeks (?) on the roller and hole in the forward part of the shank...it’s close though, without the anchor mate it might work.

Never had a windlass...

Edit: I see the other pic you posted was on your boat...so that question is answered. Looked like a marketing photo ;-)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks for the compliment. The posted photo is from my boat.

I put a padeye just behind the windlass and it is anchored to the deck with a backing plate. I tie the anchor off there. I run form the padeye to the chain and pull it tight then tie off with a couple of half hitches. Easy to remove yet it takes the strain of the anchor off the windlass. The windlass is tough but I do not want the anchor on the bow pulling against the windlass it would eventually wear the windlass gears. They are more expensive than the line or padeye.

Be sure that you use a carriage bolt through the roller to hold the anchor mate to the bow roller. I had a regular bolt with a couple of washers and a lock nut washer then 2 nuts holding the anchor-mate on the bow roller. Appeared correct. It failed. The roller, while spinning and letting the anchor out, had enough friction to release the lock washer and release nuts. The anchor-mate spun off the nuts and took a leap into the water on the 3rd anchoring attempt. Pissed me off. Mantus were real champs and when I explained the problem sent me a replacement.

When I install it this time, I will use a carriage bolt so that the bolt cannot spin only the roller bearing will turn. Further I will use a lock washer and a nylock nut on the bolt to reduce the possibility for the nut to back off the bolt. And I will watch the system carefully for a few times to be sure it does repeat the previous experience.

I have a tension lock for the anchor chain, but I have not yet installed it. still considering the design. @LeslieTroyer installed the tension lock on his anchor system. It works, yet had to work on a way to match up to his chain. I like inline chain locks and still considering them as I think I have the room. They have a real positive lock design.
1606074098353.png
or
1606074133400.png

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
@jssailem Thanks for the info!

Be sure that you use a carriage bolt through the roller to hold the anchor mate to the bow roller.
Yeah, good point. I currently have a regular bolt with a washer on each end with a nylock nut. The roller spins freely but with the weight of the chain/anchor I may find the same situation. Glad Mantus helped out there!

I only know of carriage bolts that require a square hole, is that what you're talking about?

I run form the padeye to the chain and pull it tight then tie off with a couple of half hitches. ...
The windlass is tough but I do not want the anchor on the bow pulling against the windlass it would eventually wear the windlass gears.
I have a Lewmar V2 vertical with the drum kit...I haven't used it yet because we've been in the yard, but I'm guessing the drum turns with the gypsy for line rode (maybe?) which would mean I could use it as a fairlead of sorts to a bow cleat. Even if I just tied the line from the chain to the drum I don't think it would put pressure on the gears, it would be a straight-on pull, no torque.

1606104797494.png

Brian

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
I only know of carriage bolts that require a square hole, is that what you're talking about?
Yes. I am expecting the square piece will stop the bolt from turning. This should force the roller to use the bearings to turn. May require regular cleaning of the bearings.

I agree with your plan. I have the V-3. Love it. My concern is with the anchor moving about as the boat bounds thru a wave. The drum is stout, but it is a length above the deck giving it a bit of leverage if it is yanked about while attached to 35 lbs off the bow.

Sure it is possible that nothing could happen. I just like to avoid possible when I can. If you have an available cleat that would make sense to use.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
I have the V-3. Love it.
Cool, I've read good things mostly. Maybe you could help me! I can't figure out what this is for. Mine looks like below, but that isn't consistent with what the manual shows for the V1-3 models. It looks more like the V4-5 model pawl which just has engaged or disengaged. As-is, it doesn't appear to engage (like a ratchet) but maybe that's only the case if you have the manual recovery kit, which I don't think this one has.

1606108582713.png

1606109139720.png
1606109225212.png

Sure it is possible that nothing could happen. I just like to avoid possible when I can. If you have an available cleat that would make sense to use.
Agree. I don't need any more problems than the ones I'm already going to have!

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
@Hayden Watson or @jssailem do either of you have an issue with the shank hitting the underside of the furler drum when the anchor flips up on to the roller?

BTW, after buying all that Mantus gear, I ended up getting 3rd place in the Cruisers Forum Mantus Giveaway and have a 30% off coupon now. Maybe the M2 would fit the bow better and I can use the M1 as a backup haha

Oct 22, 2014
Well lucky you. Congrats. I am sure the M2 would fit like a Rocna Vulcan.

2020 has been a bummer of a year.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
@Hayden Watson or @jssailem do either of you have an issue with the shank hitting the underside of the furler drum when the anchor flips up on to the roller?

BTW, after buying all that Mantus gear, I ended up getting 3rd place in the Cruisers Forum Mantus Giveaway and have a 30% off coupon now. Maybe the M2 would fit the bow better and I can use the M1 as a backup haha
It has not been a problem for me so far but my windlass only had a rode capstan so I hand pull the last bit.