Haaalp! Did aliens siphon my gear lube?

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
So when I opened up the two screws on my 2-cycle, '94 Johnson 9.9 long shaft to drain the gear lube, there it was - gone. (Cue harp music) ...So it was a very hot, windless day, and the last sail of our first year with our H23.5. I had just adjusted the engine's mixture screw to keep the engine from reving itself to motor heaven in neutral, when I noticed some white, oily globs shooting out of the exhaust. Didn't seem like a reason to not go out. We ran the motor, a lot, no wind, remember? But the motor and drive never once complained. It was the last sail! We had our special tee shirts and everything. (Lose the harp music).

I suppose I blew a seal or something (wait, that's a really funny monkey walrus joke, you gotta look it up) and I was wondering if anyone else ever observed the same problem. What did you find? How did you fix? I had been having issues with the engine running away and reving high in neutral, and then having to jam the shifter into forward and reverse to keep from stalling the damn thing. Could this have contributed? I finally figured out that bad fuel was leaning out the mixture, so I dumped in some SeaFoam and richened up the mixture. When I saw the white residue, I figured it was too rich and the exhaust was just spewing out some concoction of unburned fuel. Afterall, it's called SeaFoam, right? But no. I was just stupid. It was my gear lube...

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Were the white oily globs coming out of the coolant spit hole, or out the exhaust above the prop? remove the prop and squirt some light motor oil in the gear-case fill hole. if the light oil comes out the shaft seal, you've found where the lube went.
It sounds like what you're describing as over-reving in neutral could be an intake air leak. most likely the carb mounting gasket.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
out the exhaust above the prop
Pretty sure it was the later. Definitely propelled out, then seemed to clear up. Funny, no white foam or silky look to the 1/2 oz that was left. How can these drives survive something like this? Incredible it didn't self-destruct. Yup, that gasket would definitely cause it (I think these engines are rev limited, thank God). Thanks man.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Parts #2 in the gearcase drawing, but you probably want to replace all the seals while ya working it.. The shaft and shift rod seals and probably want to change the impeller too.. Parts kits #70 and 72 should do it.
Awesome. Thanks Kloudie. I forget the big boy boats put these on their dinghies. Cool.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Thanks, Gordon.. here in south Louisiana, I have been playing with outboards since I was a little bitty .. My dink motor is a 1967 Johnson 6HP