H49/50 battery replacement

Jan 4, 2019
Hunter 50 Halifax & Martinique
After 7 years it’s time to replace the four 8D 255 AH Lifeline batteries on my H50. I would like to know what other similarly equipped boats are using for batteries. The boat is based in the Caribbean and after much reading, I am reluctant to go lithium due to the complexity and expense. These boats run the thruster off the house bank requiring a properly designed system. Self sufficiency is very important down here and simpler is often better.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The most common and widely available battery type throughout the Caribbean is 6V wet cell deep cycle. The big 8Ds are usually limited to the bigger commercial shipyards at artificially high prices, not as common and are back-breakers to work with.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Self sufficiency is very important down here and simpler is often better.
I think you know the best answer to this question.
7 years. at about 4 Boat Bucks... that is roughly $570 a year. Simple and Experienced.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
After 7 years it’s time to replace the four 8D 235 AH Lifeline batteries on my H50. I would like to know what other similarly equipped boats are using for batteries. The boat is based in the Caribbean and after much reading, I am reluctant to go lithium due to the complexity and expense. These boats run the thruster off the house bank requiring a properly designed system. Self sufficiency is very important down here and simpler is often better.
6 volt AGM
Don’t go with lead acid. The batteries are in the middle of the main salon, and the outgassing is problematic. But,,, 6v for sure. I have 8 of them.
You’ll need to make up jumper cables

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The comparison of 2 6V batteries to one 8D battery:
  • 2 6V Weigh 110 lbs compared to the 8D that is 156lbs. The 6V are easier to get in and off a boat.
  • When installed the 6V's are 2" taller, but 2" more narrow.
  • 2 6V batteries supply 220 amp hours compared to the 255 amp hours for one 8D
  • Your current power supply system can use either battery design.
  • The 6V batteries are $4.20 per amp hour while the 8 D are $3.88 per amp hour purchase cost.
The availability of the batteries in the Islands would be a key factor.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Don's right.
Where to begin with the rest of the disinformation, errors and poor suggestions? Lifelines are crap and have proven to be. Do a little research online and you'll find out why. They have essentially if not formally been discontinued. Offgassing of wet cells is plain BS, they have been in the saloons of millions of sailboats for a century. A little judicious ventilation, which all boats should have anyway, makes it a moot point. AGMs are a waste of $$, especially for cruising sailors, but generally for everybody. Maine Sail's covered this many times (AGM Battery Issues and the Blue Seas Dual Circuit Switch (from Maine Sail) "DARN AGM Batteries"
Darn AGM Batteries ). 8D batteries are back breakers and dangerous; people who recommend them for ANY reason need to think harder about their recommendations.

Sep 25, 2008
To the issue of off-gassing, there are two causes of this - bad charger/charging or bad battery cell(s). Both only occur when not properly managed. And the worst result is typically triggering the CO alarm.
Having said that, if a boat is designed such that batteries are contained within an enclosed unventilated living space, that too is easily solved. Why any boat manufacturer designed such an arrangement is mystifying.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Last Friday I finished replacing our two twelve year old 8D AGM deep cycle batteries with new sealed for life AGMs. Cost was $916.10 each from All Battery Sales and. Service, a local Interstate battery dealer. Yes, they are very heavy, heavier than the old ones, but rated at 260 ampere hours each, as opposed to 240 for the old ones. The old ones were DECCA brand and performed very well over the years. These are Full River DC260-12LT and, hopefully, will last at least as long as the old ones.

When I left July 1 on our cruise north this season the old ones seemed to perform as normal. As days progressed toward the end, however, I noticed they would not hold a charge for very long, to the point where I had to turn off the reefers during the night, otherwise, they would be dead by morning.

It was a two man job. The hard part was lifting them into the clydesdale from our van and lifting them onto the steel rack shelf in the aft cabin. Used the main halyard to lift them from the clydesdale on the dock, swinging them into the cockpit, then lowered them down the companionway steps. Took about two hours to get the job done and another hour to connect them.

P.S. Just a follow-up note, the new batteries weigh 172 pounds each, versus 160 pounds for the old ones.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
To the issue of off-gassing, there are two causes of this - bad charger/charging or bad battery cell(s). Both only occur when not properly managed. And the worst result is typically triggering the CO alarm.
Having said that, if a boat is designed such that batteries are contained within an enclosed unventilated living space, that too is easily solved. Why any boat manufacturer designed such an arrangement is mystifying.
On the 49 /50, the batteries are right under the dining table.
I have an excellent charging system (Magnum) set perfectly.
After going through 3 sets of 6v Trojan wet cells, I can definitely confirm that they stink up the main salon. As well, they discolour the bottom of the floor boards
I had water miser caps, which recycle the water, and supposedly minimize these problems
I can tell you that this is my third season with AGMs, and zero odour
The other huge issue is being able to lift them with one hand easily.
The cost of these were extremely reasonable.
If I was in a situation where I needed rapid recharge, I’d consider lithium. But, my boat lives on the dock, or I have my genset.
I would only consider the 6v AGM on the 50, in circumstances similar to mine.

Sep 25, 2008
On the 49 /50, the batteries are right under the dining table.
I have an excellent charging system (Magnum) set perfectly.
After going through 3 sets of 6v Trojan wet cells, I can definitely confirm that they stink up the main salon. As well, they discolour the bottom of the floor boards
I had water miser caps, which recycle the water, and supposedly minimize these problems
I can tell you that this is my third season with AGMs, and zero odour
The other huge issue is being able to lift them with one hand easily.
The cost of these were extremely reasonable.
If I was in a situation where I needed rapid recharge, I’d consider lithium. But, my boat lives on the dock, or I have my genset.
I would only consider the 6v AGM on the 50, in circumstances similar to mine.
Curious - over how long a period did you go through 3 sets of batteries?

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Curious - over how long a period did you go through 3 sets of batteries?
Don,
I’m thinking about 3 years.
Was just not happy with the charging times, etc. And, on the last set, they really started to outgas after 2 years or so.
I know it’s not the charging system, as I checked the parameters constantly.
I can’t be happier with my switch over to 6v AGM. To reiterate, the ability to physically handle these without a crane is a huge bonus.
My charging needs are very moderate, and I might be off grid for a day at most.
Briefly thought about solar, but it makes no sense for me with a 12kw genset that works perfectly

Sep 25, 2008
Don,
I’m thinking about 3 years.
Was just not happy with the charging times, etc. And, on the last set, they really started to outgas after 2 years or so.
I know it’s not the charging system, as I checked the parameters constantly.
I can’t be happier with my switch over to 6v AGM. To reiterate, the ability to physically handle these without a crane is a huge bonus.
My charging needs are very moderate, and I might be off grid for a day at most.
Briefly thought about solar, but it makes no sense for me with a 12kw genset that works perfectly
If you went through 3 sets of batteries in 3 years, something Is radically wrong with your charging system which manifested itself in the off-gassing problem.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
Personally I wouldn't write off lithium I converted my boat last winter to lithium. I replaced my 3 8d's with 3 400 amp hour lithium's. The result is I more then double my available amp hours and cut the weight in half. I spent 2 months on the boat this summer sailing around the great lakes. I was amazed at the difference from my 8d's. I used the run the generator before going to bed and again in the early morning. This trip the batteries ran my 2 fridges, 2 freezers, anchor light and tv after dinner through the night. In the morning the batteries would still be at 13+ volts and have 75% capacity left. I continued on making coffee, toast and using the micro wave cooking breakfast. Post breakfast I would still have over 70% capacity. I will add I have solar so that helps a little in the evening and in the morning but doesn't add a lot. Net message I used my generator vary little over the 2 months and for the first time on an extended trip I never had any battery capacity concerns and the wife was happy sleeping in with out the generator running at 6:30 AM.

As for installation yes it takes some planning and a fair bit of reading to do it right and I had to replace some items such as my alternator regulator. BUT it was well worth it. While out for the 2 months this last summer I texted my friend who talked me into doing it ( I was nervous about my lack of knowledge and replacing items and cost etc.) 3 or 4 times thanking him for talking me into doing it .

Just my 2 cents.

Kevin

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
In my motorhome, I replaced (6) 215Ah golf cart batteries with a total usable capacity at just over 300Ah [W50% SOC] with two 460Ah LFP batteries from Basen Green. They cost $1200 each with all shipping and fees. After I did some balancing, they each have tested out at 480Ah for a total capacity of 960Ah and I can use about 900Ah of that so the two 8d batteries gave me 3-times the capacity of the golf carts.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
..., I am reluctant to go lithium due to the complexity and expense. These boats run the thruster off the house bank requiring a properly designed system. Self sufficiency is very important down here and simpler is often better.
Depending on what you currently have, you may already have what is needed for a swap to LFP. I make the change to both my motorhome and boat and needed very little in the way of new stuff to make it all work together.

The motorhome required no changes. The charger was a 2000w Magnum and it was easily set for LFP and the 90' round trip run of wire from the engine to battery compartment limited the current to the point where the alternator self-limited.

The boat already had an external regulated alternator, so I just added a digital thermostat that turns off the regulator when the case gets too warm.

Nate

Mar 26, 2014
Hunter 50AC Midland
I’ve recently installed lithiums on my Hunter 50 and have been very happy with the setup. Done well you can run the bow thruster off the same bank. Yes the whole setup requires considerable thought for charging, isolating the start battery, etc but I would be happy to discuss with you. Reach out with any questions.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
Like Nate I would be happy to discuss with you what I did. One difference is I decided to use a lithium start battery which simplified my charging set up. The thing is amazing it is tiny yet has had no problem all summer cranking the 110 turbo yanmar in my boat. What ever you decide good luck

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
After 7 years it’s time to replace the four 8D 255 AH Lifeline batteries on my H50. I would like to know what other similarly equipped boats are using for batteries. The boat is based in the Caribbean and after much reading, I am reluctant to go lithium due to the complexity and expense. These boats run the thruster off the house bank requiring a properly designed system. Self sufficiency is very important down here and simpler is often better.
Its not that complex or expensive. Quality drop in LiFePO4 are less than the equivalent AGM's these days. You make have to replace a charger and/or install a DC to DC charger for the alternator for a few hundred, maybe some minor cabling changes. Not difficult or expensive. Likely any solar controller you have will support a LiFePO4 profile.

Totally worth it, the right lithium setup is a game changer.

Dec 15, 2019
Hunter 49 San Diego
I would like the details on your Hunter 49/50 install of lithium batteries. The price is right, and I need new batteries anyway. I’m looking to replace three 8D batteries and a starting battery. The new Epoch 300ah batteries seem to have the discharge rating to run my thruster And windlass. I’m wondering about the lithium starting battery.