H41 inner forestay?

Dec 15, 2017
Hunter Legend 41AC Portsmouth
Hell all, and has anyone installed an inner forestay to their h41ac in order to run an extra headsail for downwind sailing and also for a storm gib if needed?

Cheers

Lma

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
I think you can have two sail on the same opposite rail on your furling system. Son you can put two whisbone and roll both sails thogheter

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hell all, and has anyone installed an inner forestay to their h41ac in order to run an extra headsail for downwind sailing and also for a storm gib if needed?

Cheers

Lma
What are your concerns. Inner forestays may require a countering stay.... such as a set of running backstays. You must also reinforce the foredeck area for the lower attachment. I would highly recommend you discuss this with a professional rigger or even a marine architect. There is some nifty hardware made for a detachable inner forestay such as a quick release tensioner and a hook to store the wire at the mast base.

Dec 15, 2017
Hunter Legend 41AC Portsmouth
Hi all and resurrecting this thread to see if anyone else has any ideas? Seriously thinking of adding an inner forestay (Detachable possibly) .

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
I'm going ahead and doing it. Mast comes down next week, new rigging and additions. 1st problem is no chainplate kit available, Seatek in CA will need to make custom. Hunter 410 Selden Mast.
Expensive with furling, I hope I use it enough or need it to justify, I really want that extra forestay security also.

DCGULL

Mar 12, 2022
Hunter 41 DS Epping
I love the idea and don't think that Furling is required for what I see its functionality. Storm jib, or 100% jib (whisker poled) downwind on long passages. I can hank it on & off as needed, and only deploy the forestay when needed with a mast strap & lightweight plate on the foredeck. Not sure of how much reinforcement the deck needs against the 'pull' of a loaded forestay? Furling would suggest leaving it up all of the time with a sail mounted- not sure I want to add that complexity. But, good to know that a Selden mast can accept additional hardware that will handle load!

DCGULL

Mar 12, 2022
Hunter 41 DS Epping
That looks GREAT! And, it's a great set-up for dead downwind! How is the custom SeaTek Chainplate after some time with the tensioned stay & load of furler? Any crazing topdeck? Any issues with tension on the rig? Any recurring noises? Clearly, you use it- so, the upfront cost has paid for itself.

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
No crazing or noises I've noticed yet. DDW in up to 26k, no main is fantastic! May get a 2nd pole. Inner sail real easy to handle, I don't even need a winch handle.
Had some issues adjusting forestays so one or the other does not go too slack depending on what you've got up and wind force.
Bad things are many more lines on deck and obviously the problem tacking with regular jib up.
Good, on top of what I expected, if the wind comes up i roll out and blanket the jib with the Inner foresail and it rolls up easier, same idea as using the main to do that but even more effective.

Attachments

vgoya

Sep 8, 2021
Hunter 410 Vigo
Wow, great job you have done, Windpilot !!

I'm tented to do the same on my 99 H410 but I have several open questions. Can you share some more pictures of your setup ?

For instance, how do you routed the staysail sheets ? and the furling line ? have you installed additional sheet blocks on deck ?

Thank you in advance
V.

Jul 25, 2023
Hunter 410 Duluth
I'm also in the process of trying to convert to this set up. What was the cost of having the chain plate made, and did you have to provide specs?

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
Chainplate was made by Seatek, cost of that part was insignificant compared to everything else.

Jul 25, 2023
Hunter 410 Duluth
I suppose. Did you end up adding running back stays or changing the rigging at all.
Appreciate the advice. I'm moving forward with the project, just trying to source all the materials at this point. Definitely going furler as well.
I'd also be curious to hear the dimensions of the sail you had made.
Appreciate the advice!

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
B&R rig does not need running backstays, i don't have the dimensions, I had my sailmaker design it.
There was a lot of deck gear I added, extra organizer on deck, double turning blocks for the sheets etc.
But well worth it.

Attachments

Jul 25, 2023
Hunter 410 Duluth
Hell yeah. Appreciate the pics too. It will be nice.
I was able to find a drawing of the chain plate from hunter online. Going to see if a local fabricator can get it done.
Thanks again

Jul 25, 2023
Hunter 410 Duluth
@Windpilot , I saw you had some valuable insight regarding deck fittings and tapping the embedded aluminum for cluthches and organizers etc. In another thread. Very cool....
Couple of questions, ....was there an aluminum plate for tapping where you mounted the chain plate for the new forestay?
Also, sounds like you went for 5 clutches a side.... I'm guessing staysail and Spinnaker halyards, what are you using in the 5ths?

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
The forestay spot did not have anything imbedded. I was disappointed.
They used large washers. It seems to be pretty thick glass in a structuraly strong area at the anchor locker bulkhead.
I just sailed 2300 miles to Hawaii from California in June, used it extensively, no issues, up to 25 knots wind 19 days.
Will sail back in a couple of weeks, I'll let you know I had a problem.
As you see on the clutches, I have a 3rd reef line on for this trip, lots of lines to contend with on mainsail but so worth it for the third reef.
Often had 3rd reef in to steady rolling, keep the loud flapping/banging of main while rolling in lighter air while both headsails were polled out going DDW.
I have no kind of light spinnaker because I am, from past experience, very afraid of a forestay wrap 1000's of miles away while singlehanded. Mine is a set it and forget it system if I'm using the windvane, allows me some rest. Also easy to reduce sail on any point at any time. Inner foresail is easy, don't even need a winch handle most of the time.

Attachments

Jul 25, 2023
Hunter 410 Duluth
That is a bummer for sure, and a bit surprising. On my 410 there is a molded/indent spot clearly designated for the forestay chain plate to attach. Large washers will work, or I'll rig some kind of plate. Sounds like you are putting it through some tension with no issues.
Appreciate the pics, reefing set up is smart. I have the Selden furling main, which has some positives and negatives.
I hear you on the spin for long distance singlehanded. I was admiring your double pole set up as well. I'd be curious to see your windvane set up.
Sounds like a great trip. Good to know some Hunters are out there logging miles.
I've been on the great lakes for years, but am getting the boat prepped for some long term cruising.