H41 holding tank sending unit. Very eratic

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Nodak7, there is a screw on cap approximately 1.5 " on the top of the tank. The sensor is attached to or made into this cap. If you look at the WEMA website it shows a perforated cylinder of different lengths, 4",8" ,12'', etc. It appears that the length of the cylinder needed depends on how deep the tank is.
Interesting.... ours is a 2006 and here is what the original readout looks like in the lower part of the picture attached?

Attachments

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
12 stamped on the sending unit
That means it is a Wema 12" hold tank sensor. The SHST is the model number.
I just inspected my SHS 8". All good to go and it is OEM.
It is an excellent design, to normally be "clog" resistant. The newer Wema do have a newer float that doesn't become "water logged". However, your float will dry if tank is emptied after use.
Per the previous macerator discussion, your Tank can be refilled with ocean water on YOUR boat to rinse residue.
____
Tapping probably means a "float" hang up problem.;)

Call Wema or go to their site to verify that your level gauge is US or European standard resistance type.
I replaced one in main Hold $80 each. 100% reliability for 4 years now. If you just clean and reinstall, there is an easy test.
Get a bucket of water 12" deep, insert the transducer , bit by bit, since there is a damped time delay. Think high seas. Then you can tell.;)

Wema also sells a replacement and "C" backer plate, screws and gasket.

Tip: That least one screw must stay in place to hold up the "C" backer plate or it drop in the tank.:(
Jim...

PS: PM me if you need more details. I have done this successfully 2 times before.

Feb 6, 2008
Hunter 41 Punta Gorda
Nodak,

I believe yours is like mine, a foil strip down the side of the tank. There is no internal sensor. Mine is a Snake River product and they never work for long on any of the tanks.

Butch

Feb 6, 2008
Hunter 41 Punta Gorda
Thanks Peggie. I had just given up on the gages. I've never used 100 gal. of water of filled the 50 gal holding tank, so I ignore them.

Butch

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I have the 2004 version of the snake river senders. Once you "foam" the foil to the side of the tank they work fine. I bought the boat when it was 5 years old. ALL of the foil senders had detached from the water and waste tanks. I reattached the tape senders and then used expanding foam to secure them permanently to the tanks. Recalibrated and all has been great for 9+years. The diesel sender was replaced with a real fuel gauge and new sender(wema).

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
So I have a 2007 hunter 41 and need to replace the holding tank sending unit, I have the new sending unit which is the same length but the top looks different ( new is round with screw holes, old is hex and no screw holes). not sure how to remove the old one and hesitant till I get advice on removal and if I might not have the correct gauge. The new one seems to have the same model number what 12. Picture attached of the old one. many thanks Bill86D912C2-B211-4D61-8EA3-8F32ECAB1542.jpeg

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
So I have a 2007 hunter 41 and need to replace the holding tank sending unit, I have the new sending unit which is the same length but the top looks different ( new is round with screw holes, old is hex and no screw holes). not sure how to remove the old one and hesitant till I get advice on removal and if I might not have the correct gauge. The new one seems to have the same model number what 12. Picture attached of the old one. many thanks BillView attachment 175781

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Best solution: replace the system with one that uses senders that are applied to the outside of the tank. I recommend this one Scad Tank Monitors If your existing system provides 1/4, 1/2, 3/4. FULL readings, you may even be able to use the existing wiring. The "solo" is the single tank system.

-Peggie

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
not sure how to remove the old one and hesitant till I get advice on removal and if I might not have the correct gauge.
It appears you have a non-metallic hold tank, so it is bedded with some sealant

By the SHST on the picture, this is most likely the sensor in the tank.

WEMA USA

You can Call Wema then...

You can send your picture to Wema and they will tell you the rest of the info meaning and how to install the new gauge.
Jim...

PS: the 12 should be the length of the probe in "inches", I am guessing

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I am guessing again, but I have the 8" version.

The top Square part is threaded into the glued in base. You can verify that by looking under the "Square"

If it is threaded, then using a channel lock pliers, you can remove the old one and then thread in the new one and make sure the wires match.
Jim...

PS: The new "bracket" is meant for more space on the tank to install it. My bracket worked fine on similar install on a metal water tank.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
I have te same problem, I tried to clean my sender but no luck, if you find the replacement let me know, please

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I second Peggy's recommendation. I installed a Scad in my last boat, it worked great and was easy to install. The one I used is discontinued but the new model seems to have a better display.

Last edited: