H37c generators

Jaxg

Jun 30, 2019
Hunter 37 Cherubini Jacksonville
what is a realistic (no major mods, no crazy money) way to use a generator while on the hook with my 1980 h37c. Thinking about one of the small Honda’s sitting in the cockpit at night or even hanging in a custom built box from the davits off the back. Talking river and flat water anchorages, no crazy seas to worry about. Some people just love air conditioning here in FL.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I carry 2000 watt gas generator. I have a Sunbrella cover for it and lash it to the front of the mast when traveling. When I need to use it, I place in on the floor of the inflatable and connect it to the shore power chord. Being down in the bottom of the inflatable isolates its vibration from the boat. Sound is mostly line-of-sight so it also quiets it a lot for both me and my neighbors.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Honda eu2000i is the standard. The unit maxes out at approximately 13.3 Amps. It may have 20A and 30A receptacles but the output is still 13.3A. That means a couple of things, 1) you cannot use all your appliances at once. Find out and know their power draw and decide which you may want to use simultaneously. From experience I can tell you it is fine to use a couple of cabin lights, the battery charger and a TV. You want to turn the A/C ON turn off all the others. The maximum size of A/C unit that see run on the H2000 is a 12,500 BTU unit. While the unit draw is easily handled by the generator the draw demand for start up power when cycling can exceeds its capabilities. Electric motors, in this case the compressor, pump and fan will require a surge from 3 to 5 times the running draw. The other related characteristic is fuel consumption; the Honda comes with an ECO mode which will adjust the throttle to the power draw. The inboard fuel tank for the generator is approximately 1 gallon and in eco mode can give you between 6-7 hours running time but if you are running a 12,000BTU A/C you may likely have to turn the ECO mode Off and will only get a run time of 4-5 hours. It is not pleasant having to get up in the middle of the night to refuel the generator. There are some 3 gallon auxiliary tanks that will piggy back with the internal for a total of 4 gallons. One important safety issue when using the generator is to have a Carbon Monoxide Alarm. The wind can shift and blow the exhaust to wards the cabin creating a gas poisoning hazard. For A/C units up to 24K BTU you can run two generators in parallel. Honda sells the harness to combine two generators. The cheapest way to get maximum use of the generator is to use low draw appliances. Many sailors have used a 120V dorm refrigerator and a 5K Btu window A/C unit. The generator is portable so you can take it camping or use it home during a power outage.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
One important safety issue when using the generator is to have a Carbon Monoxide Alarm. The wind can shift and blow the exhaust to wards the cabin creating a gas poisoning hazard.
:plus: This is a true scenario. I got an opportunity to experience it first hand with my sailing mates @LeslieTroyer and @Ward H. It was blowing 25plus. Temps were below 20 degrees F. Snow was blowing up from the south east. We were sheltered in the lee of a 40foot high rock face just 6 feet from the boat. Secure to the dock on the other side. Went to bed about 22:30 and we were rudely awakened by a screaming alarm about 02:35.
first one then both CO alarms went off. Les climbs out into the wind blown snow to shut down the Honda. The wind had shifted and the exhaust found a path into the cabin.

During our Extreme Cruise this past winter.
IMG_5134.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_3145.JPG

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
It's so disappointing that there isn't an economical, drop-in or maybe "semi-portable," small, water-cooled, diesel generator. I think 2kW would be fine for many folk, 3kW would probably take over the market.

I confess that among the things I hate about boating is when someone cranks up their Honda generator on their sugar-scoop transom, or deck, or flybridge, in an otherwise tranquil anchorage. Now, when I look for a spot to anchor, I studiously avoid being near a boat with a Honda on it, or with gas cans on deck. I truly hate the obnoxious hum that breaks the tranquility. On the other hand, while I've noticed the "plop, plop" of inboard, water cooled generators going on nearby boats, it is not disruptive at all.

But thank goodness for Honda - their products are pretty quiet, and they seem to strive to achieve this characteristic. I've actually confronted a nearby boater who was running a cheap-o 3kW generator mounted on some homemade, Rube Goldberg mount higher than their transom, broadcasting an intolerable racket, like the hammers of hell, across the entire anchorage. Air horn beats generator. When it finally stopped, other boaters applauded and sounded their horns in celebration.

About charging batteries with them: unless you are running a 50A+ AC charger, I think you are fooling yourself. Cruising with a plan to charge batts using your typically 10 or 20A shore power charger would, I think, require you to run the generator eight hours a day, no? Hair dryers and vacuum cleaners, microwave ovens, coffee makers, toasters? A good inverter works just fine, although it probably exceed the cost of an EU2000i, and requires a good house bank, good, high current alternator and smart regulator, and attention to battery management.

Regarding danger, diesel exhaust contains about 1/28th the carbon monoxide of the exhaust of a gas engine. So while it's not harmless, it's generally much less dangerous than gas exhaust. This week I was appalled to see an anchored sailboat with a Honda generator running on the foredeck, with the forward cabin hatch wide open, yawning at the generator, swallowing all of the exhaust. A true Darwin-award candidate. God save the innocent victims of this fool!

So, there you have it. Some people don't like your generators. I totally get it in Florida, and other places, where A/C is almost a requirement. But then, maybe all the boats are buttoned-up and insulated from the noise.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Jviss, when I lived in Europe, small diesel generators were easily available. I don't know why here in the US they don't seem to be on the market. I also quite agree that the sound of a diesel generator is preferred over a gasoline generator, plus they are quite fuel misers. Although to that point I must say the Honda's are excellent.

I dislike having multiple fuels on board and particularly dislike having gasoline on a sailboat. I wish we had a small diesel generator available. I've actually tried to buy one in Europe and ship it over, but I think I'd have to go there to execute that. Ahhhh, now that sounds like a great idea! Hahaha

dj

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
DJ, any info on those European diesels? I'll be in Czechia in September....

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
BTW, I agree on gasoline on boats. I have two fuels, diesel and propane. The propane is very carefully managed, in a OEM locker, solenoid, and a fairly sophisticated control with sniffers, etc. Maybe if we could find a tiny, water cooled gas engine that could be converted to propane?

The DoD had some Honda EU1000's converted to diesel, with high-current, DC output. I saw one on eBay for about $1000, I'm kicking myself for not buying it. But then, it's still an air cooled generator.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Jviss,It's been a long time since I've been back stateside so the cobwebs of time have occluded a lot of specifics. I'd suggest to stop into a good industrial supply house and ask what they recommend. I'd always had very honest feedback there from the pros.

I'd be very interested in hearing what you find out.

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Just saw your second post... It's my understanding that any gasoline engine can be converted to propane. I've not seen one of these small engines converted, but I used to have friends that would convert their pick-up trucks to be dual-fuel vehicles, propane and gasoline. It's my understanding it's a question of managing the air/fuel ratio properly. But my buddies used to do it seemingly without much ado..

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Oh, as a side note - at one time I had a boat that was all diesel, including cook stove. I'll never go back to that set-up. No matter how good I got at running that stove, the boat always smelled of diesel... It seems the propane/diesel mix is the best way to go. I wish electric could arrive to the level I'd require...

dj

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
We love cooking on gas on the boat, as we only have electric at home.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
We love cooking on gas on the boat, as we only have electric at home.
I totally agree! Perhaps I should clarify - I'd wish electric would get to the point where I find it sufficient. Then I'd go probably electric/propane! LOL I totally love cooking in propane! I then might only go to total electric if it was clearly making my boat completely energy independent - and capable of running under motor for days on end, if needed...

dj

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Back to the OP's question, regardless of whether the noise is an issue, the biggest concern about a portable generator is where the exhaust ends up. That should concern not only your cabin, but the cabin of the boat anchored behind you, too, if it's a tight anchorage. Safest place, it seems to me, would be on a sugar-scoop transom, if you have one. I would be scared running it in the cockpit. How about putting it in the dinghy and using your shore power cord, as Hayden suggested?

Makes one think: wouldn't it be great if one had a combination outboard motor and generator? Water cooled, fairly quiet (some, anyway), and far enough away from the cabin to be safe burning gas.

Last edited:

Jaxg

Jun 30, 2019
I am still generatorless at the moment, but I have constant shore power so no worries. However this year I plan to spend an extended amount of time (until I’m broke) In the Caribbean, and that time can greatly extended by staying on anchor. Back to the Gen.... the Honda 2200 won’t kick off my 16,000btu air conditioner, and per Honda they recommend 2 3300’s run in parallel. Where TF am I getting the space or desire to store those?? Is Honda just being safe or could 1 3300 run my air cond? I’ve had people say that I only need one. Does anyone have knowledge about powering a 16,000 btu A/C unit with a small generator?

Jaxg

Jun 30, 2019
How about a smaller AC?

dj
That is an option I’m trying to avoid. I own a small stand up model that would work well and draw a lot less, not to mention many window units would probably be even more effective And are very inexpensive. I’m just trying to not add clutter to the boat. The Generator itself is manageable, but if I had to have 2, I’d just assume go with the smaller draw unit, and keep to one Gen plus the additional unit. I’m just hoping some one will tell me that they run my ac with 1 gen.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Personally, I'd just get out an amp meter, plug in my AC and measure exactly what kind of power it takes to start and run it. Then I would know exactly what my AC unit needed.

dj

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I run my 16k AC unit with a honda 2200eu. I had to install a domestic soft start kit on the ac. Mount mine on cabin top and close nearest deck hatch. Also have CO2 monitor installed in cabin.

Jaxg

Jun 30, 2019
I run my 16k AC unit with a honda 2200eu. I had to install a domestic soft start kit on the ac. Mount mine on cabin top and close nearest deck hatch. Also have CO2 monitor installed in cabin.
love it!!! Thank you, I never knew this existed.