H36 Boom Rebuild

Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
Was that maybe a typo or have they maybe modified it slightly and thus changed the model number?
It was a typo on my part. MT-2CT-TP is still avail on Garhauer's website, although it's now $700....And correct, I used Garhuaer's 40-series blocks to replace the old blocks on the boom (Gar #40-13, three of these ), the original fiddle block that attaches to the traveler car (Gar #40-01) plus the stand-up swivel block mounted at the base of the mast (Gar #40-19). I can't recall how many screws I have total holding down the new track. Since I lost my old traveler in shipment I had to lay down a long piece of tape over the existing holes on the boat and mark where the old holes were. I then mounted that piece of tape to a piece of cardboard and sent that to Garhauer. Actually I was deployed to the desert when this happened so the wife had to do it!
And no need to use a winch to move the traveler car. Not sure of the line size, maybe 1/4" or 5/16"...Garhauer recommended the line size so I may have to search old correspondence to see if I wrote it down. If you don't find a good answer I'll measure it next time I'm at the boat....

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
It was a typo on my part. MT-2CT-TP is still avail on Garhauer's website, although it's now $700....And correct, I used Garhuaer's 40-series blocks to replace the old blocks on the boom (Gar #40-13, three of these ), the original fiddle block that attaches to the traveler car (Gar #40-01) plus the stand-up swivel block mounted at the base of the mast (Gar #40-19). I can't recall how many screws I have total holding down the new track. Since I lost my old traveler in shipment I had to lay down a long piece of tape over the existing holes on the boat and mark where the old holes were. I then mounted that piece of tape to a piece of cardboard and sent that to Garhauer. Actually I was deployed to the desert when this happened so the wife had to do it!
And no need to use a winch to move the traveler car. Not sure of the line size, maybe 1/4" or 5/16"...Garhauer recommended the line size so I may have to search old correspondence to see if I wrote it down. If you don't find a good answer I'll measure it next time I'm at the boat....
Thanks again. I'd be really interested to know the number of screws each side of the companionway if you have a chance to note that. For various reasons I have concluded that, for the most part, I will be drilling a tapping new attachments. I'd lie to minimize it so it'd be good to get feedback on this if I can before I go ahead and finalize the hole layout for my new track.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The Garhauer traveler for my C36 has 5 1/4-20 unc per side to attach the riser to the cabin top. And another 5 per side of a larger dia(IIRC) to attach the traveler to the riser.

Mahalo
14DA211D-CB53-4998-83CB-185B5A67EBB6.jpeg

Aug 10, 2010
chichiflys, good job, looks great. you clearly do fine work

i love bowlines. use them all the time. using a bowline in this application is great. however, have you ever used a halyard knot or halyard hitch. same great strength, just a cleaner look. you just might like learning a new trick for the fun of it.
So I looked it up - I agree makes sense to use a halyard knot there - definitely cleaner...and might get a little more reach out of the traveler before it hits the knot. Thanks again.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
As a Cherubini Hunter 36 owner for the past 11 years, I have either dealt with, or contemplated-but-then-dismissed doing anything about all of the issues that have been raised in this thread. Generally with modest cost or time.

As with all things "boat", there are numerous solutions.

For several of my "fixes", I have previously (sometimes years ago) posted on the Cherubini forum details of my experiences.

As for jumping into this thread, and since 36 owners have already made their own assessments/modifactions/upgrades, just don't know how useful my past experience might be.

Therefore, I'm not to inclined, without encouragement, to comment much or to search for my legacy postings and advise the url links.

So let me know specifically with questions. I can then respond with solutions I made (or attempts at!) and how they turned out in actual practice.

rardi

Last edited:

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
Thanks Rardi. I always much appreciate your input.

If we’re talking about the traveler I seem to recall reading that you modified the original traveler to provide more mechanical advantage. Please let me know if I’m incorrect and you replaced.

I don’t remember reading anything from you re boom renovation. I haven’t searched so mush for info in that. Did I miss something from you on it?

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Thanks Rardi. I always much appreciate your input.

Hello again TMBJ!

If we’re talking primarily about the traveler, I seem to recall reading that you modified the original traveler to provide more mechanical advantage. Please let me know if I’m incorrect and you replaced.

I don’t remember reading anything from you re boom renovation. I haven’t searched so mush for info in that. Did I miss something from you on it?
tmjb:

Time on the West Coast is dinner + Chardonnay hour. Then all day tomorrow have I have family engagements. Me/wife's visit with daughter + 11 month first grandchild! So will respond more fully later this weekend.

But in summary, as you showed with your previous post, removing the traveler end blocks in a friendly way ain't easy. (On this I also have previously tried to do maybe 4-5 times. Even applying blow torch heat. But I was stymied by the now known SS vs AL galvanic interaction that can't be broken except for total destruction somewhere! I now expect that the only way to remove is to drill off the bolt tops. Then use vice grips on the now exposed bolt shanks to hopefully break free.)

Getting back to the traveler car, for my boat, by lucky chance I found at a marine flea market an exact totally new traveler car that Hunter gave us OEM. As above, I couldn't remove the end blocks. However the traveler rail itself did come off without much issue. The new car then went on with much of a problem.

Somehow, we strive that the traveler car can be moved up both against a heavy wind condition and with the main sheet pulled tight. Yes, that would be desirable --- If racing. (On this sorry to opine that my Cherubini Hunter 36 won't ever be a dominant force on this criteriea.) But otherwise, what's the harm of easing off wind a bit. And taking some tension off the main sheet. Then pulling the traveler car "uphill"?

Just a few times per year? Divide that into the cost of new gear and repair to the ensued destruction. No matter what our finances are, it should always be a cost/benefit decision.

Last edited:

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
Understood Rardi. Lucky break re the traveler you found!

Total with you on the racing etc. Always trying to find a middle ground though.

Enjoy the time with your family, 1st grandchild and of course the Chardonnay!

Look forward to hearing more if you have time. So great to be able to share and learn from one another’s experience on a boat for which so few were made.

Thanks again.

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
I kludged together more purchase by adding double blocks on each side of the traveller car and at each end of the traveller.

Disadvantage is it has slightly less range as the blocks take up an extra couple inches on the track.

Aug 10, 2010
Quick update. Finally received my outhaul cap from the welding shop. Not exactly as I imagined, but it should suffice. I needed them to weld on new tabs to re-tap on the side for attachment to the boom end, and then I asked them to build-up the "ears" that protrude on top that the topping lift attaches to. The shackle on the topping lift had worn out some of the material and it was looking thin. Here it is before powder coating...gonna have to be red again to give me an extra 1/2 knot on the upwind leg!
IMG_6225.JPG

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
Yes there appear to be aluminum plates embedded in the fiberglass in the mount areas on each side of the companionway hatch cover just like at the mount areas for the cabin top winches.

The end caps were a bear. After lengthy soaking with PB, I tried an impact screwdriver until the heads broke off (no turning back). This worked (with much effort in most cases) for the screws between the track and the cabin top but not of the end caps. Re the caps, I then proceeded to try to remove their screws with bolt extractors which didn't work. I really had no idea what the caps consisted of (until after I got them off of course!) so I then resorted to drilling the excessively long screws out using a clamped on drill guide to try and keep the bit straight and aligned. I had limited success with the latter but eventually managed to free up the caps enough to pry them off (leaving the screws behind, only to find that they are hollow castings (see attached photos). Had I known they were largely hollow I might have just taken a sawzall to them although the screws were totally corroded into the aluminum so it would still have been a challenge. I was also afraid off possibly damaging the cabin top below.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.
Thanks for the info. How many bolts were holding the traveller down and do you know what size they are?

I've just noticed mine appears to be only held by one bolt on each side of the traveller (the end bolts)

Yikes! No wonder it bends on a gust of wind when going close hauled O_O

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
Thanks for the info. How many bolts were holding the traveller down and do you know what size they are?

I've just noticed mine appears to be only held by one bolt on each side of the traveller (the end bolts)

Yikes! No wonder it bends on a gust of wind when going close hauled O_O
All screws are 1/4-20. My traveler had two at each of the end fittings with the sheeve. The track itself had three on each side of the companionway hatch cover and then a total of eight between the track and the hatch cover that in my option have no strucutral worth since they only attach to the cover which in turn is attached to the cabin top by a minimal number of small screws.

In addition I had one screw each side of the companionway the thread of which was almost totally non-functional and the ones each side immediately adjacent to the channel where the halyards pass under the track did not appear great either I think because the hole was made at the top of the sloped surface of the channel and probably close to it at the edge of the embedded aluminum plate. So there was not much holding mine down either - plus the camber of the track was about a third of what was required and they just screwed it down as much as they could further stressing the attachments.

This is what it looks like now:

CEA057A3-F538-4F85-A2AE-CEE227130326.jpeg

EE099856-9DF5-49F3-9483-E94DCFF27D86.jpeg

Attachments

Aug 10, 2010
I should be able to make it down to the boat this week and I'll check my setup as well. Sure seemed to look similar to TMJB's cabin top.
Finally got the outhaul cap coated and ready for install. Once I get some warmer weather I'll finish painting this boom and put it back on the boat. It's pretty much sailing weather here on the Bay.
IMG_2283.JPG

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 36_80-82 -
Refurbished our boom and traveler on 1982 H36. Instead of us painting after disassembly, we took boom, end caps, and traveler to a powder coat shop for painting. Appliance white for the boom and black for the traveler and end caps. All turned out great and has held up well over ten years. Very reasonable cost which included all sand blasting and prep work. Did not notice any problems with sheaves.

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
I should be able to make it down to the boat this week and I'll check my setup as well. Sure seemed to look similar to TMJB's cabin top.
Finally got the outhaul cap coated and ready for install. Once I get some warmer weather I'll finish painting this boom and put it back on the boat. It's pretty much sailing weather here on the Bay.
View attachment 147199
Another beautiful paint job Chichiflys. I’m jealous. Hope mine comes out half as well. I have it all apart now and have been in touch with Rig-Rite re the parts. Pretty much the $ you estimated. I was hoping to go there tomorrow on a trip passing that way but I gather it’s mail order only. Too bad as I was hoping to be able to double check the parts.

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
Refurbished our boom and traveler on 1982 H36. Instead of us painting after disassembly, we took boom, end caps, and traveler to a powder coat shop for painting. Appliance white for the boom and black for the traveler and end caps. All turned out great and has held up well over ten years. Very reasonable cost which included all sand blasting and prep work. Did not notice any problems with sheaves.
That’s an interesting idea. Where/how would I find a powder coat shop and can I ask how much it cost?

Aug 10, 2010
Ready for install finally. Was able to take a few pictures of the Garhauer track as installed on the boat. if I recall correctly there are 1-2 bolts underneath the end caps of the traveller. I have Spinlocks installed near the companionway to control the traveller sheets. I have 5/16" line for the traveller. (8mm).
IMG_3378.jpg
IMG_4436.JPG
IMG_4629.JPG
IMG_3051.JPG
IMG_2171.JPG