H36 2004 macerator and waste tank

Jul 6, 2017
Hunter H 41DS Hampton, VA
I have finally tracked down my sewer odor to the waste macerator pump next to the tank at the stern.

There appears to be a tiny amount of seepage at a seam in the housing.

This has got to be the most difficult inaccessible part of the boat. I can barely touch the thing

The pump does not operate (or is jammed). I have never used it because it's illegal to do so in our sailing area .

Is there any advise on how to get this changed without tearing the boat apart? While I'm asking, can the tank come out through the rear bulkhead if I take out the giant plastic trim piece at the back of the stateroom? I don't see any other way of getting to it.
2237.jpeg
2239.jpeg
2235.jpeg

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
One idea would be to install a new pump at the top of the tank and abandon the existing pump. You may be able to get at the thing to plug up the hole with a new inspection cover at the top of the tank.

Jul 6, 2017
Thanks .
I'm thinking the same sort of thing. If I can get it out I might relocate the pump to the port side of the stern where there is easy access from the stern step hatch.

I found that Jabsco makes a service kit that replaces the leaking parts and seals.

My 14 yr old son may be able to reach down in there and have access to remove the screws and clamps. I can't imagine having to service a pump like this at that location more than once. It will have to be moved.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I found that Jabsco makes a service kit that replaces the leaking parts and seals.
You'd be FAR better off replacing the pump, 'cuz it's most likely a crack in the pump body that's leaking...a service kit won't fix that. And the last thing you want to do is spend the the money for the kit and have go through what it takes to get it out, rebuild it and move it, only find it still leaks.

You're in waters where you can't use it, so unless you're planning an offshore cruise long enough to make having the ability to dump the tank at sea worth the effort in the very near future, why not just remove the macerator and plumbing altogether? You can always install a new one in a more accessible location if/when you will be able to use it.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
You'd be FAR better off replacing the pump, 'cuz it's most likely a crack in the pump body that's leaking...a service kit won't fix that. And the last thing you want to do is spend the the money for the kit and have go through what it takes to get it out, rebuild it and move it, only find it still leaks.

You're in waters where you can't use it, so unless you're planning an offshore cruise long enough to make having the ability to dump the tank at sea worth the effort in the very near future, why not just remove the macerator and plumbing altogether? You can always install a new one in a more accessible location if/when you will be able to use it.
I agree completely. I do use mine and I am on #4 after 10 years. I always carry a spare because it will crap out. Not a matter of if, it is when. And my heads are fresh water so the bloody thing never sees salt water. But it is easy to replace on Maxine so I just replace the thing as Peggie suggests and throw the old one in the trash.

Jul 6, 2017
Thanks all.

The 14 yr old son was a great help in getting inside the tank space and unscrewing everything, and we got the pump out of there and capped the tank 1-1/2" supply hose (for now) . I could not have done it without him. What a job to get it out, almost impossible.

Used a hairdryer to soften the hose so we could get a barbed plug back in.

If and when I replace the pump, it will be moved to the port side swim step locker where access is a breeze.

BTW: One of the bolts holding the pump housing on had corroded through completely. Thus the sewerage leak

Looking forward to a sweet smelling boat.

Next project: install a Tides Marine mainsail Strong Track system. It arrived today.

Jul 6, 2017
Thanks for the pics. It's on my to do list now.
Is it OK for the pump to be above the tank? Maybe even better so it isn't filled all the time, assuming it can self prime???

Thanks.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
It's supposed to be able to self prime up to a 5 foot lift. Probably doesn't pump as well as the original location, but the advantage this way is that the stew won't sit in the pump 24/7/365 and should provide for a much cleaner replacement if the need arises again.

Nov 28, 2013
Hunter 36 36 Hampton
Tim,
I to have a Hunter 36 in Hampton and just traced my odor problem to leak I believe to be around the pump. How did you determine it was the pump? I can’t get to it to see if that’s the problem. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Walt

Jul 6, 2017
Walt:

I just finished reinstalling a new pump at the back of the bulkhead at the rear berth in a better location. It is above the tank mounted vertically so it is always dry and can't have a gravity leak. I'll post pictures. Still hard to get to but at least possible. I need the pump for going off shore next season I hope.

You can either reach way down and feel the leak at the pump housing or maybe put a rag on a stick and wipe the underside of the pump. You almost need to be a monkey to work on the thing, even to get it out..my 14 year old son was very helpful getting to it.

The pump bolts corrode and the housing starts to separate in two.

I'll be at my boat tomorrow afternoon. Timtam1@cox.net

Jan 5, 2017
Walt,
If you take off the panel on the rear bulkhead you should be able to look at it easily. Mine was visibly nasty, you could see sludge below the unit (and a trail all the way to the bilge.)

Nov 28, 2013
Hunter 36 36 Hampton
Thanks and I did remove that panel but wasn’t able to get a good look at everything from that angle

Jul 6, 2017
So I mounted the pump on the back side of the rear berth bulkhead. You may also see that I tabbed the bulkhead at the top with a few layers of fiberglass and epoxy to stiffen the whole thing up. The pump housing is facing down and is above the tank elevation so it will hopefully drain after use and wont sit in poo continuously and rot away as it did before when it was mounted next to the tank bottom. You can see the four finish washers on the inside of the berth where I used four through bolts to fasten the pump to the wood bulkhead. (photos included). I still need to shield the wires.

Thanks for all the advice folks.
S1.jpg
S2.jpg
S3.jpg

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Similar issue for me on my new-to-me 2009 H36 last year. Being a Chesapeake Bay boat I'll never use the macerator legally, so I removed the stinking thing, as well as its permeated hose, and disposed of it. Then I pulled the barbed fitting off of the thru hull and sealed and capped it, as well as turning the ball valve off, and I removed, sealed and capped the macerator fitting in the holding tank. Lastly, I replaced the permeated sanitation hose running from the head to the holding tank, sealed and double clamped it. That hose replacement was the hardest part.

Even though there's no obvious dried effluent, there's still some residual smell, which I'll try to eliminate by some detailed cleaning this spring. Not exactly sure how to get down into those spaces though. I just figured eliminating a system I'll never use (while preserving the wiring and thru hull in case someone ever wants to reinstall) was the easiest - and cheapest - way to go.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Make sure that entire area--every nook and cranny too- are clean, then spray every surface, nook and cranny with PureAyre PureAyre which you can find at most pet stores. Just needs to be light mist of it. DO NOT rinse...just let it dry with any panels or hatches open for 24 hours If any odor remains, you missed a spot.
--Peggie

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Tim,
When I purchased my 356 the macerator was locked up so I replaced it, not a fun job no mater how much you empty the holding tank. Might look into relocating the macerator.
I noticed in your pics it looks like you have a ventilation duct that might be hooked up to a blower in the engine compartment. If so did you install and does it have a input and output side and did it keep the heat down?
Jeff

Jan 5, 2017
Make sure that entire area--every nook and cranny too- are clean, then spray every surface, nook and cranny with PureAyre PureAyre which you can find at most pet stores. Just needs to be light mist of it. DO NOT rinse...just let it dry with any panels or hatches open for 24 hours If any odor remains, you missed a spot.
--Peggie
Peggie, do you have any suggestions for areas that you can't reach? Just dump some PureAyre in and hope for the best?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I don't think "just dumping it in" is anything close to the light mist that's needed. Pump garden spray bottles can spray several feet when fully "charged" (buy a decent one...the cheap ones aren't even worth their bargain price). Better yet, make the necessary mods to create access to every inch of your boat...you'll be glad you did.

--Peggie