H356 diffult to reach the main sail leach line

Oct 7, 2016
Hunter 356 Little Creek, Norfolk VA
I couldnt adjust the main sheet leach line because it is over the bimini. I am too short to reach it when the main is fully deployed.

I was able to reach it when i partially furled the main. But i am sure the line doesnt properly work when some of the sail is rolled up in the mast.

I also realized that the large main and small jib has the advantage of furling the main first to keep the sails balanced. That allows the jib to be fully deployed with its proper sail shape longer.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It's better to be a bit oversight than flapping. Flapping will degrade the sail cloth. An overtighted leech line will degrade performance a small amount. I'm 6' and can reach at least 8' and didn't adjust that line very much. To do so put me in a precarious position and at risk of falling overboard.

Oct 7, 2016
Yes. That was my position; not safe. But I needed to tighten it.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Next time you buy a new mainsail, pay the extra to have the leech line installed so that you adjust it at the tack, rather than on the lead. The loft runs the leech line from the clew up to the head, through a block, and down to down to the tack. It’s worth the extra money. Or you can modify your existing sail to add the “Over the head” leech line installed.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Next time you buy a new mainsail, pay the extra to have the leech line installed so that you adjust it at the tack, rather than on the lead. The loft runs the leech line from the clew up to the head, through a block, and down to down to the tack. It’s worth the extra money. Or you can modify your existing sail to add the “Over the head” leech line installed.
I created a reply saying the exact same thing, but then noticed it was a furling main!!! ;^)

Deleted that one!

Feb 6, 2008
Hunter 41 Punta Gorda
See if your sail maker will add a small block at the clew and extend the leach line along the foot of the sail. It is the same as going over the top and down the mast. If you tie the leach line to a small cleat on the boom near the mast it sickens the line when you furl the sail and you won't forget to ease it out. We used this on our h41 with in mast furling and it worked great.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I am very interested so maybe a little drawing could show how you doing that.
Nick

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I couldnt adjust the main sheet leach line because it is over the bimini. I am too short to reach it when the main is fully deployed.

I was able to reach it when i partially furled the main. But i am sure the line doesnt properly work when some of the sail is rolled up in the mast.

I also realized that the large main and small jib has the advantage of furling the main first to keep the sails balanced. That allows the jib to be fully deployed with its proper sail shape longer.
I have the perfect solution
What you really want to do with a leech line is snug it up once the sail is out, and always release it before you furl
Unfortunately, is impossible to do this in most situations because the either the boom is too high, or you can’t reach the small cleat that was installed in the sail.
Here is a great way to do this
Install a small dinghy cam cleat on the aluminum piece of the outhaul pulley. To do this you will need to drill & tap 6-32 screw holes, and cut the screws to the exact length so that they don’t interfere with the pulley
F77AA4E1-4B21-48C3-8A01-A9A4685A4D18.jpeg

Now, you pre-set the line into the cleat before you unfurl. Set a large knot or loop in the end of the leech line.
Make yourself a “specialty tool”, i.e. a coat hanger with a hook bent into one end.
Then, once the sail is unfurled ...
C8683630-9EFA-462D-9223-E29EDEE9C399.jpeg

You reach up with the “tool”, grab the end and pull, pulling the line tighter into the cleat.
Just before furling, reach up, and snap the line out of the cleat
This works amazingly well

Oct 7, 2016
I have the perfect solution
What you really want to do with a leech line is snug it up once the sail is out, and always release it before you furl
Unfortunately, is impossible to do this in most situations because the either the boom is too high, or you can’t reach the small cleat that was installed in the sail.
Here is a great way to do this
Install a small dinghy cam cleat on the aluminum piece of the outhaul pulley. To do this you will need to drill & tap 6-32 screw holes, and cut the screws to the exact length so that they don’t interfere with the pulley
View attachment 166870

Now, you pre-set the line into the cleat before you unfurl. Set a large knot or loop in the end of the leech line.
Make yourself a “specialty tool”, i.e. a coat hanger with a hook bent into one end.
Then, once the sail is unfurled ...
View attachment 166871

You reach up with the “tool”, grab the end and pull, pulling the line tighter into the cleat.
Just before furling, reach up, and snap the line out of the cleat
This works amazingly well
Are these photos from an actual real world instance of this solution?