H340 manual bilge system

Jul 12, 2004
-Hunter -340 Versace Marina
Pardon my inexperience - my hubby died - so I'm doing this on my own now
On my H340, there are 2 manual bilge points - one in the cockpit and one on the Stbd side of the lounge in the salon (documentation does show does not show the manual one in the salon... not helpful).
If I test the one in the cockpit, it works fine. But when I test the one in the salon, it pumps out of the bilge but does not then pump overboard. A friend suggested there may be a valve somewhere that controls this - but, again, this is not shown in the documentation
Can anyone tell my why this might be happening - and maybe suggest how I can fix it?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Not familiar with the boat but would suggest you follow the discharge hose. It is likely that the one in the cabin does not have a dedicated discharge port and may be sharing one with another fixture like the sink discharge which would discharge below the water line or it could be there is a check valve that is fouled and the water is returned to the bilge. Another possibility is that the purpose of the pump in the cabin is to transfer water from a shower sump to the bilge and not to expel it outside the boat. The discharge hose should tell the tale.

Jul 12, 2004
-Hunter -340 Versace Marina
As far as I can make out the one in the cabin shares a discharge port with the automatic bilge. Its not connected to the sink - that has its own discharge directly below the sink. The H340 does not have a shower sump.
Will look for a possible check valve on the line - that seems to make the most sense. Thanks again.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
As far as I can make out the one in the cabin shares a discharge port with the automatic bilge. Its not connected to the sink - that has its own discharge directly below the sink. The H340 does not have a shower sump.
Will look for a possible check valve on the line - that seems to make the most sense. Thanks again.
Post a photo of your bulge if you get a chance. My 340 has only one manual and one electric bilge pump and I’m pretty sure that’s the way it came from the factory. The manual inlet is loose in the bilge, the pump is in a cockpit locker with the handle in the cockpit. The automatic electric pump outlet is on the starboard side in the tall cabinet aft of the nav table. The drain under the sink is the sink drain on my boat, still don’t know why someone would put a sink drain that far below the waterline. And a bulge pump discharge should not be below the waterline.

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
Pardon my inexperience - my hubby died - so I'm doing this on my own now
On my H340, there are 2 manual bilge points - one in the cockpit and one on the Stbd side of the lounge in the salon (documentation does show does not show the manual one in the salon... not helpful).
If I test the one in the cockpit, it works fine. But when I test the one in the salon, it pumps out of the bilge but does not then pump overboard. A friend suggested there may be a valve somewhere that controls this - but, again, this is not shown in the documentation
Can anyone tell my why this might be happening - and maybe suggest how I can fix it?
Gail, ditto what Bill said about the factory setup on our H340.
Note that the H340 from the factory had the shower drain and the refrigerator drain gravity fed and directed to the "upper bilge", located just aft of the main bilge, which in turn drained to the main bilge. What you describe as a second manual bilge sounds like a previous owners attempt to redirect some of that flow, although we are just guessing without some pictures.
As for fixing it, review previous discussions on a shower sump pump setup, such as:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...mp-need-to-see-some-pics.187882/#post-1408505