H34 V-Berth Hatch Acrylic

Sage34

Jan 5, 2015
Hunter 34 Mexico
Hi All

With me being a few thousand miles from the old girl, I was wondering if anyone knew the dimensions of the square acrylic lens in the V berth of the 1980's H34?

Many Thanks

Sage

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Measuring mine up for replacement in the near future.. Looks like the acrylic (Plexiglas) is 19 and 9/16" square with corner radii of 1" I think mine is 1/4" thick but I am going back with 3/8" thick. I believe that the color is 2074 gray.
The hatch is a Bowmar, cast frame .. it is original to my '85 model..

Last edited:

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
The dimensions in our '91h30 were similar but no frame. Got the Plexiglas at a local plastic supplier. They cut it and shaped the edges like OEM. I think it was closer to 7/16. No worries walking on it or the companion way sliding cover. You might call a local boat yard and see where they get their acrylic since they probably do those sorts of repairs.

Nov 6, 2006
Jon, I just got the Transparent Smoke lenses for the little head hatches from TAP Plastics. I wanted to see how they looked before ordering the big ones. They cut the new parts exactly to my measurements. Each 3/8" thk lens, cut and radiused was $19.24 .. the little cubby cover on the front of the sea hood (15" by 7.5" by 1/4" thick) was $11.46. It will need some finish work yet for the finger hole and the hinges.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
my front vberth hatch glass needs replaced also... but im not sure if I have bomar hatches or lewmar... (can someone post a picture of their bomar hatch)
the acrylic in mine are thick, at 7/16" or 1/2"... the original lens in the top of the cabin has a slight mirror coating on it, but my forward hatch does not have this mirror look to it, and its the extremely crazed one. (as I type this, it so strangely brought to mind my ex wife:()...
I believe this mirror coating is a UV coating or an armor coating to make it even more scratch resistant. both lenses are tinted dark, so this mirrored material is the type that I want to put back in when I do the replacement...

if anyone can positively identify the hatch by the photo, let me know... I had photos of the interior also, but I cant find them.... there are 2 knobs/ long screws on brackets mounted to the lens, that screw at an angle against the lugs on the interior of hatch frame to secure the hatch closed... and the normal cylinder looking support arms on each side, with screw knobs for adjusting the open position of the hatch... thanks

DSCN3244.JPG
20140920_173518.jpg

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Claude... Thanks for the info! Did you just pry it out from the top?

Centerline... they look like Bomar. The knob on mine has "Bomar" molded on it....

-Jon

Mar 20, 2012
Centerline... they look like Bomar. The knob on mine has "Bomar" molded on it....

-Jon
mine does not have any markings on them... anywhere.

both bomar and lewmar as shown on the web have swing latches, whereas mine are basically just long 5/16" bolts that screw in at an angle against the frame.... the screw brackets are held to the lens by 2 small bolts thru the lens....

the hinges on mine are exterior and protrude just enough that the hinge pins can be replaced if necessary

Last edited:

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Centerline- that's the most awesome sail cover and sacrificial panel on a jib I have ever seen!!!

Nov 6, 2006
Centerline.. here are a couple of shots of my V Berth hatch Bowmar, vintage 1985 .. The knobs (latches and support) all have "BOWMAR" cast into them. The "BOWMAR on the frame is a tape logo thing.. could easily be removed. Lens has no holes or clips. IMG_0360.JPG IMG_0363.JPG

Mar 20, 2012
Centerline- that's the most awesome sail cover and sacrificial panel on a jib I have ever seen!!!
Thanks.. it came to me that way, and other than the fact that its yellow, it does a great job for its purpose...

One really cant do much with a yellow color scheme when one doesnt like yellow...
the black panel on the sail cover was a light blue, and I couldnt stand it.. so i removed the blue and sewed in the black... its somewhat better, but still kinda yellow:(

Mar 20, 2012
Centerline.. here are a couple of shots of my V Berth hatch Bowmar, vintage 1985 ..
Thanks... mine is much different... I need to get some pictures to show the difference.
My screw knobs/bolts are fixed and dont hinge... and i dont have the lattice support across the lens... they could very well be bomar hatches but older than yours are, and to get the right seals i would like to absolutely identify them...
All the paperwork shows the the boat was extensivly refitted in '87-'88, to be set up as a bluewater racer, but it doesnt show that the hatches were replaced, so as far as i know, they may or may not be the original hatches that came with the boat...

Nov 6, 2006
I have seen hatch clamps (dogs?) like you have but I can't remember what brand hatch they are on.. I do believe Bomar but maybe a different model? I dunno