H34 Questions for inspecting and seeking advice

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Yep $4-$5 per mile (all miles) seems to the overall consensus for transport and then around $300 per unstep/step. The 310s are nice boats! There is supposed to be a guy near me "aging" out with one, but who knows how long that takes.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Agree, my wife loved the size of the Cataline 34 but not the dated interior and style. The C310 was significantly newer and better condition and a more modern interior so she said go for it!

Concerning the below waterline hull condition, given the price and what you have planned for you might as well just assume it needing a full bottom job and get some estimates for that.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Concerning the below waterline hull condition, given the price and what you have planned for you might as well just assume it needing a full bottom job and get some estimates for that.
Good idea - something I hadn't checked out. Even if done in 2015 might be worth doing while its out for transport.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
I have a main sail cover. I take the main and bimini home every winter and haven't put them back on yet this year. With the rain and flooding it hasn't been a good sailing season here.
This is the same thing I do with our sails. The sails are older BUT having been stored in the garage in the off-season they stay in much better condition. Much less UV damage, mold, or mildew. It's a bit of work taking the sails off and putting them on again on a boat this size but the effort is well worth it.

With regard to opening ports and checking for leaks, the problem that can happen is that as the gasket ages and hardens it doesn't make as good of a seal to the probability of a leak is greater. Also, the gasket and plastic surfaces are likely to have some dirt on them and even a little bit can queer a good seal.

With regard to the sole, one can buy teak-holly cabin sole plywood so if condition is important one can use the old sections for a pattern and replace everything. May not be a cheap fix but trying to keep up with things on a boat as she ages, just like a house or a car, is something to get used to.

For an older boat it would be good to look for the deal-breaker and not get too anal about the more little things. Don't know what the price would be on a new boat this size but it'll certainly be over 100K. As a rational way of justifying it, just a few years annual interest on a new boat would pay for one like this. Heck, even a new boat will keep you busy with projects!

Edit: For the OP, Is that Perry Lake in Kansas where you will keep the boat?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
On the sole: Replacing the sole on an H34 is a very arduous task - - as the pieces are all seemed under the cabinetry, etc. Basically, everything above the sole needs to be removed to get the sole out... And, on the portlights: I noticed in the later post that the portlights looked like they had already been changed [from original], so that's a plus...

The only [big] item I failed to mention is that an H34 has an "Iron" keel. So, it may be a good idea to look up what goes along with this keel [smile, etc...]. Keel us posted!

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Edit: For the OP, Is that Perry Lake in Kansas where you will keep the boat?
Unfortunately no. I'm sure its a great lake, but just a bit far for my family to get the use to justify the boat. It would be moved to Grand Lake O' the Cherokees in NE Oklahoma which is about 45 minutes from me, 1hr 15 in bad traffic.

Thanks for your comment John Nantz. I agree perspective is important, which is what I'm trying to get. I'm not looking at any new boats as they are out of my price point. I'm not afraid of sweat equity. Its all a balance. What I don't want is to spend the same amount plus hours upon hours of work for a boat that I could have got for the same after all the projects were complete. To me that wouldn't make sense. I think this boat may strike the balance I'm looking for, and hopefully John (current owner) and I can find an agreement to make that a reality.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
The only [big] item I failed to mention is that an H34 has an "Iron" keel. So, it may be a good idea to look up what goes along with this keel [smile, etc...]. Keel us posted!
Which is why hopefully diver will be possible. Cause smile/crack at keel to hull joint would be a big to me. Maybe not to others. Should hear from diver tonight. I wish the lake wasn't so damn high we could pull the boat with my transporters trailer and this would be a much easier item to knock off the list! It is what it is.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
I know these boats pretty well. If the current owner is reading this forum and cares to participate in the thread, that would be enough for me to buy the boat on the spot, especially at this price. These are 35 year boats, you can't expect everything to be working as on a five year old boat. I like the boat and the shape it is in. The fist thing I would do if I were to buy the boat is to take apart the transmission (not difficult to do), inspect it and clean it. The rest is just what boat ownership is all about, maintenance and more maintenance. Alternatively, buy a new Hunter for $150K and focus on maintenance of the mortgage payments :).

SV Pizzazz
Hunter 31

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Pizzaz with all due respect I doubt you would buy any boat without at least inspecting it yourself let alone a survey. I don't expect everything to be new. What I do expect is that I won't buy the boat even if at listed price, drop 8k of repairs into it and tons of my time to get it to the point of a boat I could buy for 20k and have to do none of these things. The money is equal and all I did was lose time and heartburn. Believe me, I understand the sentiment and know I'm looking at an old boat. We shall see Saturday, I don't believe there is 8k of repairs here, but that's why I'm asking questions and learning from all of you :) everyone has been super helpful so far.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Artey, one reason I chimed in on this thread is because we came close to getting a H34. It was a new boat down in Marina Del Rey, the last one on the west coast right when the new model line came out. Missed out on it and got our H35. Anyhow, so much for that part.

Way, wayyyy.... back in history, when Phil Herring started this web site, there was a member, Fred Ficarra, (a prolific poster) who had a H34. He sailed it down the coast from Puget Sound to the Panama Canal and then around the Caribbean. When they came back there was the First Hunter Rendezvous in Port Ludlow sponsored by the Seattle dealer at the time (~1989 or '90). One of the highlights of the Rendezvous was a race with all the boats that came, including the dealer on one of their new models. It was a beautiful day and the wind was cooperative, not too light and not too strong. Anyway, Fred and family came in 1st on their H34.

I've been away from this board for a long time and ol' Fred, like I said, the prolific poster that he was, would be really helpful with your questions 'cuz he knew that boat inside and out.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
First, I would not buy a car, house, boat without a professional inspection. At least you will have someone to sue if they missed the obvious flaws.

I have had my 1984 H34 since 1987 and have enjoyed it on the Chesapeake Bay with several partners. For me it is the right size for the bay with less than wonderful winds all the time.

My partners and I are are currently in major restoration mode after 30 years of sailing and minimal upkeep. We found 8 topside leaks and 9 wasp nests. We're replacing the sole which is a big job but doable if you have some woodworking skills. Paying someone to fix many of our problem would have been too costly.

If you buy the boat and want to see where years of neglect created issues (30 year old deck seals leaking, anchor locker hose, etc.) I'd be happy to share.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Mike absolutely! Do you have a link to some pictures? Did your coring get wet from topside leaks?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
I'll need send you a link. If you have questions you can call me at 202 262 5188

Apr 9, 2009
Hunter 34 Fort Myers
Good discussion- nice to have an owner who backs his boat with energy and knowledge. That said I have owned an 1984 H34 for about eight years. The webbing that supports the sole is shallow with a series of drainage holes that get clogged. ( That is hearsay and surmise). What can tell you is that I had to replace the sole in the first year.
I think the price is fair - even low. It is a great boat. Roomy, nice teak and exciting to sail but easy to single hand with just the Genoa. My boat is near Fort Myers. It is pleasant to live aboard as well.
I think a new stanchion after the last hurricane ran me $200 plus installation. If have a drifter but no spinnaker. It carried down to Key West on an exciting overnight sail. A bit choppy for me after 8 hours. Luckily my friend was an experienced Caribbean sailor. So he took a second shift.

Returning home from Marathon on a broad rescan, two reefs taken in, and moon light night, was the sailing experience on my life.

I paid $12000 for a complete new subfloor and sole.

Best of luck and enjoy the look at what I consider a fabulous boat.