H34 Questions for inspecting and seeking advice

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Hi everyone, I'm a prospective H34 owner - I look at the boat on Saturday. Unfortunately I live in the mid/south west area of the US (Oklahoma) and there aren't really Sailboat focused marine surveyors here, so I really have to do the inspecting myself. I've been reading some Don Casey to help in this effort.

I have the hull number and I have seen before with Catalina for example there are sites that I can put in the hull number and see common defects/improvements for a series of hulls. Does something like this exist for the Hunters?

What is the best way to inspect the compression post on these boats without tearing apart the sellers teak covering on it? Just look for crushing around the bulkhead next to it and on the liner beam?

The boat is in the water, but there has been lots of flooding in this area. The lake is up 25 feet and is not forecast by the corp of engineers to be down to use the ramps again until November of this year. So suffice to say, I can't get the boat out of the water to do any percussive soundings or look for blisters or keel/rudder damage.

The seller has disclosed there is one minor leaking port - a small drip in a very heavy rain. Evidence in headliner of a leak but supposedly fixed. Port side storage bottom wood has some rot from the aforementioned leaking portlight. There is a bimini mount that has pulled out, needs epoxy filled, tapped and then rebedded. The knot meter is not working, there is no anomometer or windex. There is a part of the cabin sole that was crushed by an overweight cooler being dropped on it by a dumb kid. Supposedly the bilge is dry (doubt it with the false bilges in these boats). The aft water tank is leaking the full tankage in about 3 hours and the current owner didn't know how to get to the tank (I do) and says the water is not going to the bilge. I think thats really quite impossible even if it were going between the liner and hull. All rigging and Sails seems to be in good shape. Steaming light bulb is out. New VHF needs to be installed. Stove is out and was replaced with a mini fridge (grrr why????) No A/C installed, no AP. Newer batteries and charger. Some stanchions slightly bent - how would this happen? Supposedly no soft spots on deck and never painted except for grey over the non skid on the deck. Very little crazing and some normal wearing around cockpit entry from deck. New Dorade vents, Maxwell winches (needs serviced, but work, oh boy). New head and hoses 3 years ago. Engine did not have hours off hand. Disclosed that the previous owner or marina had put the wrong transmission fluid in upon service which gunked it up causing it to be hard to shift into gear (F and R). Current seller was told by a Yanmar mechanic to change the trans fluid every 6 weeks with regular oil and some marvel mystery oil and it would slowly get the gunk out and correct itself. Owner says this has worked and now goes to Reverse every time and F 90% of the time, has to bump rpm before shifting to gear the other 10%.

This is all that I know of the boat without having seen it in person. There is a laundry list here, but nothing seems unmanageable, though not being able to get the boat out of the water scares me. It is listed at $12,950 - which tells me that one, this seems like a low price. But also a price that I could get a good boat with some sweat equity and be very happy with. What does the experience from you other Hunter owners tell you? What advice do you have for me? Should I run? Worth looking at and sailing to make a decision? Sail it and if promising wait until I can get the boat out of the water in the fall before making an offer?

Thank you all for any help you can provide.

- Evan

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Add a thousand in your mind for everything you mentioned wrong (light bulb will be under, AP will be over) and it's not such a bargain. On the other hand, my biggest concern would be the engine/transmission and you should be able to find a pro to look at it. If the engine/transmission passes and the sails and standing rigging are good, you should be fine for lake sailing. On the other other hand, it doesn't sound like the seller or Previous Owner was the kind of sailor you necessarily want to buy a boat from....isn't there a commercial about some car leasing program where some guy introduces himself as the next owner and is checking to make sure the current driver is being careful? Same thing.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Dan thanks for your reply - thats a good analogy about the car leasing commercial (I'll have to look for it!). You are right it won't seem like such a good deal, there is no way I'll pay him list but you are very right that it adds up very quickly. Sound advice.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Correct on the compression post.. This site has some pictures of how the failure presents itself.. One not mentioned is the chain plate attachment for the big down-rod from the shroud attachments.. Probably not as much problem on fresh water, but certainly worth looking at... again, this site has some pictures.. "chainplate anchor" might be a good search term. The rear water tank at 30 gallons is not necessary for daysailing/short overnight/weekend sails.. The cabin tank has 35 gallons of capacity.. They are good poly tanks so if you are lucky, it will be a leaking fitting..
If that is one of the early 34's with a Westerbeke engine, you may be in for some problems.. if it has the Yanmar 3GMF, the transmission uses motor oil (30Wt, is best, not multigrade). Leaky portlight: if it is leaking thru the gasket on the glass, not too much of a problem.. If leaking from under the attachment face, it could have caused some water problems in the deck.
The original stove was an Origo non-pressurized alcohol stove which worked very well.. If it was not thrown out, parts are available to rebuild it. I think it was gimbal mounted. Depending on how you plan to use the boat, gimbals might be unnecessary. It is difficult to fit a proper propane locker to the boat, but a couple of guys have done it.
Bent stanchions: The stanchions normally are tilted outward slightly and are easy to catch on a piling while docking/undocking.. Seems strange that they tilt outward, but when the boat is heeled over, the "high side" deck is much easier to walk on since the lifelines aren't crowding the deck.
A diver could be great for inspecting the rudder, prop and shaft and skeg and keel attachment..
The 34 has some known problems but it is a good sailing boat with a roomy,comfortable cabin..

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
What year is the boat? Boat's current Name? Also, the type of Keel [Shoal or Fin]? Prop 2-Blade or 3? Yanmar 3GM, or Other? Also, post some pictures of the vessel to provoke some better questions from fellow members...

Evan, saw your post on FB. Yeah, there have been so many mental peaks and valleys as it relates to 30+ year old boat ownership - especially when only owning it the last year and not the first 30... I'm not gonna lie when I say it's certainly been as trying as it has been rewarding - - good days and bad... In addition to the C.Post and Engine/Transmission and Aft Water Tank, I would certainly look at the following [by doing so, could help you out with your negotiations]:
** Receipts from all repairs & upgrades - - does the current owner have any to share?
1. Check to see if all 9 Portlights safely open and close. 4x Hatches, too?
2. Anchor locker cover spongy?
3. Waste tank leaking? And/Or, macerator pump?
4. Battery Age/Condition/Secure? Battery selector Switch? Are items hooked directly to batteries? Or, are all items running through the Electrical Panel? The only things hooked directly to the batteries should be the main cable and the charger.
5. Sail condition - - go sailing! Or, are the sails removed? Functionality of all Rope Clutches... and Turning Blocks at Mast.
6. Is there a functioning Dodger? If not, I'd recommend to keep water away from companionway... Do a hose/water test of this area to see if it leaks [when fully buttoned up, of course]. Also, run the hose around on all Ports and Hatch Covers...
7. Bimini and other Canvas in good shape?
8. Standing Rigging - - Any Rust at the swag points? Get access to a Loos Gauge and check tension all-around - - this is a good indicator if C.P. is failing...
9. Previous Pictures from when the boat was last hauled out and new bottom? Receipts?
10. Look up the "False Bilge" issues with this model - - and how to rectify [easy fix].
11. Check cabin sole in front Stove and Ice Box - - usually soft there due to portlight leaking and dripping/running to floor.
12. Exercise all Seacocks. Check packing gland at Shaft for leaks [or, if dripless installed?]
13. Remove cushions at Starboard Settee Forward: and inspect all plumbing connections; tank; under tank; seacocks; evidence of leakage? or smells?
13.b. Remove cushions at Starboard Settee Aft [in front of galley sink] and inspect hot water heater for leaks, etc...

Well, that's a good start... Good luck!! Shannon

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
If the owner didn't take care of all those issues I bet the sails are original and probably need replacement. What year is the boat?

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Boat is a 1984 according to posting. Yanmar 3M30 - unknown hours - seller does not have (3rd owner I think).

Seller said that boat had bottom job in Fall of 2015 according to the person he bought it from. Called marina to fact check this - they don't have record of any bottom job except in early 2011. Doesn't mean the previous owner before this guy didn't do it himself. I tried to get them to give me his phone number but they didn't and I can understand that, but hey can't blame me for tryin'. I have his name, but internet sleuthing didn't turn up much or I would have cold called him haha.Seller said that boat had bottom job in Fall of 2015 according to the person he bought it from. Called marina to fact check this - they don't have record of any bottom job except in early 2011. Doesn't mean the previous owner before this guy didn't do it himself. I tried to get them to give me his phone number but they didn't and I can understand that, but hey can't blame me for tryin'. I have his name, but internet sleuthing didn't turn up much or I would have cold called him haha.

Kloudie - Good tip on the chain plate. On the leaky portlight any way to determine if it is leaking gasket or from under attachment point? I guess spraying hose may show if it is the gasket.. Going to try and bring moisture meter with me, but I've never used one and I know they are hard to read. Will look for signs of sponginess near genny track near there. Seller doesn't have the stove, PO before him removed it. I'll have to buy one used somewhere if I purchase the boat. Good stanchions shouldn't be a big worry other than cosmetic then if they are as described. Have called dive shop near the lake and seeing if they can do this for me and cost.

MnmPizza - Boats previous name was Lanalei, current is ER3 though current owner never put the name on it. I didn't ask about the prop, and I feel stupid for saying this, but I didn't ask about the version of keel either. I'll text owner ahead of Saturday.
1) Will definitely check all port/dead lights and hatches.
2)Had planned to check anchor locker lid when checking the whole deck for soft spots.
3) Waste tank supposedly does not leak, new head and hoses in 2016.
4) Batteries (2) two new in 2016. One failed, new again in 2018. Can't answer the remaining until I see it on Saturday. Will be taking tons of pictures and videos and hopefully post up.
5-7) Sail condition is supposedly good. Asked if sails were original, seller didn't know but said unlikely as they are in fair to good shape. Said unless racing I should get several good seasons out of them. I plan to inspect sails per Don Casey recommendations though to the best of my ability. Running rigging supposed to be in good shape, spinnaker rigged, however I'm a new sailor (101,103,104 within last few months) so I'm unfamiliar with how spinnaker rigging works with the pole. Can't be rocket science though. Will have to see if anyone local has a Loos gauge I can borrow. No dodger, we're on lakes here.
8) Bimini is in good shape except for one mount point that pulled out of deck. Needs filled, tapped, and rebed. Asked for receipts from last supposed bottom job, didn't have anything.
9) Will be asking for receipts from newer batteries, newer continuous charger, and head. Have read every thread I can find on the compression post and false bildge, so am familiar, hoping its been done already on both but not counting on it at all. Will heavily affect negotiation for me as well as the aforementioned aft water tank leak. I won't probably ever use aft water tank, but I will likely have repairs from the leaking that did occur I would imagine.
10-12) Good call on checking around ice box and on the seacocks. Where are they all located? Head starboard, sink port, port side settee water tank? engine? Galley sink/icebox? Any tips here would help.

JDS36

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Lake Perry
As the current owner of this boat I have enjoyed reading this thread. I have 50 years of boating experience that includes 30+ years of sailboat ownership. I've owned a Catalina 27, Islander 36 and now the Hunter 34. I've chartered and captained boats up to 50 feet seven times in the Caribbean. I know boats.

I accurately described everything I know to be wrong with the boat to Evan because I know how I would feel if I drove 4 1/2 hours to look at a boat or car or house or anything else to find out the seller hadn't been honest with me. It is a 34 year old boat and comes with minor 34 year old boat problems. Thank you to everyone for your opinions, for what they are worth. But you don't know me and you haven't seen the boat.

Evan, maybe this isn't the right boat for you. I priced it cheap because we used it very little last year and haven't used it at all this year thanks to the rain. My theory with boats has always been use them or sell them. If you are driving up to negotiate or wait until fall to make an offer you might want to reconsider your drive. I have better things to do on a 100 degree Saturday than put the main sail back on and take a tire kicker for a joy ride. Call me.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
kitchen sink and engine raw water seacocks are basically centerline. Advise change freshwater tubing to PEX from original Quest if not already done...recommend 40wt synthetic diesel engine oil for the Yanmar

Jan 5, 2018
Evan, that answers a few questions. Thanks. The boat looks like it's been fairly taken care of. A couple observations:
1. Vent under the Settee tells me that there may be an A/C under that area? That's where many have installed one...
2. Portlights have been changed.
3. Cabintop doesn't 'appear' to be sagging around the C.P.
4. Refrigerator is a nice fit
5. Nice TV mod in Forward Room [maybe a little dated, now...]
6. Still would be nice to know if Shoal or Deep Keel...
7. Cabin Sole is original and looking a bit worn - - would definitely be searching out soft spots under equipment / cabinets / etc...

Last edited:

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
also recommend mainsail cover since current owner probably doesn't have one...putting the main on and off is pretty unnecessary

Jan 5, 2018
As the current owner of this boat I have enjoyed reading this thread.
Thanks for chiming in! I was in Evan's shoe's 13-mos ago - - and know he can use some quick 'fair' advice on this model boat. A few of the folks who have already chimed in possess H34's and the knowledge which only comes with owning one. Evan does not... But, I hope one day, he does! Shannon

JDS36

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Lake Perry
I have a main sail cover. I take the main and bimini home every winter and haven't put them back on yet this year. With the rain and flooding it hasn't been a good sailing season here.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Evan, maybe this isn't the right boat for you. I priced it cheap because we used it very little last year and haven't used it at all this year thanks to the rain. My theory with boats has always been use them or sell them. If you are driving up to negotiate or wait until fall to make an offer you might want to reconsider your drive. I have better things to do on a 100 degree Saturday than put the main sail back on and take a tire kicker for a joy ride. Call me.
John - I am serious about looking at the boat or I wouldn't be doing all the homework like this. I don't drive 9 hours round trip for fun. That being said, as someone who has never owned a boat, and is a new sailor, can you blame me for asking? I've been in the motorcycle world for many years building and riding custom bikes and one thing I learned early was that not every person is honest. I'm not saying you aren't, and you have been extremely forthcoming with me, as most the info I have was not in your ad. I'm a firm believer of the very conservative approach of trust but verify. Hopefully no hard feelings with my posts. See you Saturday, will call you when I can this evening.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Evan, that answers a few questions. Thanks. The boat looks like it's been fairly taken care of. A couple observations:
1. Vent under the Settee tells me that there may be an A/C under that area? That's where many have installed one...
2. Portlights have been changed.
3. Cabintop doesn't 'appear' to be sagging around the C.P.
4. Refrigerator is a nice fit
5. Nice TV mod in Forward Room [maybe a little dated, now...]
6. Still would be nice to know if Shoal or Deep Keel...
7. Cabin Sole is original and looking a bit worn - - would definitely be searching out soft spots under equipment / cabinets / etc...
Great info here mnmpizza! Thanks for the lookover!

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
JD,
No offense meant. I, too, have more than 50 years boating experience, but, more relevantly, I am a real estate broker and understand the difficulty of selling something you know and have loved. That is why we try never to let the seller be present at an open house. The pictures of your boat look good and Artey is doing his due diligence. Good luck to both of you.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
The boat does present well in pictures, which I think is a positive. It is a sharp looking boat, are you planning to move the boat closer and have you checked on that cost? I'm a lake sailor and we looked at buying from away only to realize the rigging on both ends and shipping became significant..

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Hi JRT - can't argue the brightwork looks good from the pictures. I would be moving the boat. Its 4 1/2 hours from me now. The lake I would be moving it to is about 45 minutes from me. I have checked into cost for transport, step/unstep, slip cost/availability at my home lake. Already have transport secured if I am to pull the trigger. You are correct, it is significant - however boats of this size aren't so popular here. Mostly 27' and trailer sailors, that or there don't seem to be many for sale that I'm finding, so I've been searching in a roughly 250 mile radius. which puts me at around the $3,000 mark just for transport.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Good deal! And that is a good shipping price to me, I came close to a Cataline 34 and my move was just under 100 miles and was more then that. We lucked out and found our wonderful C310 just in the next marina from our old boat!