h34 Keto Cowl Fix

dcalif

Feb 17, 2015
Hunter 34 Monterey Bay
Like most of us with a Hunter 34, my old cowls were worn beyond any hope of repair. I went with the "Jerry Keto Option" from the owner modification section: http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=31&aid=7540&mn=34
Other than a slightly different approach on the edging with the router, I followed Jerry's approach exactly. Already getting compliments and the airflow seems unaffected. Thanks Jerry!
cowl01.JPG
cowl02.JPG

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Nice job Jerry
Would you have a material list? I need to do this as well.
Don

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Just a note to consider, Since the dorade box is connected inside, more air will flow if both cowls are pointed in the same direction to keep flow from short circuiting in one cowl and out the other without being pushed into the cabin.
Great looking mod !

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Where did you find the cowls? I have wanted to do this as well but I cannot find the cowls.

dcalif

Feb 17, 2015
Hunter 34 Monterey Bay
Cowls were from Transit Marine off Amazon from this link.
They're showing out of stock now, but appear to be manufactured here.
The starboard was cut to order by tap plastics in the bay area. Very reasonable.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Ahhh. Tap Plastics. They made me a new sliding hatch cover. Very nice but they didn't give it away.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Really sweet work... but the opposing directions is messing with my OCD. Good thing its YOUR boat, LOL! Nice job.

dcalif

Feb 17, 2015
Hunter 34 Monterey Bay
Opposing directions for visual effect for the photo only. They turn easily and remain in place.
Sizes: Cowls 4"
Base: King StarBoard (Cut-to-Size) - White
1/2 (.500) inches Thick, 7 inches Wide, 23-7/8 inches Long
Base was $17.03 before shipping. We did the routing trim.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
That's a really good price for a piece of StarBoard that size. I'll have to remember Tap Plastics.

dcalif

Feb 17, 2015
Hunter 34 Monterey Bay
I found them in stock at a place called Voyager Marine for $169, same as I paid. Steep, but it's nice stainless.
Here's the link.
voyagersupplycowl.jpg

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
So, I tried to purchase the Cowl Vent from Voyager. No Go. Got all the way to checkout and got a message to the effect that they could not sell to my state. Weird. I have never chased a product like I have these stupid cowl vents! I have been working on this for a couple of years now. Oh, well.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Can you call them on the phone? I can't imagine not being able to ship to a specific state - we are not talking about alcohol, where the laws get very weird. It may be a sales tax issue or something. Maybe someone on the forum can help you out, and reship to you. I'm willing, but I'm in FL. You may be better off finding someone closer, in say Oregon or Nevada.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mark. Strange website. Got a response about inability to align product with Amazon.
PM me you think my Oregon location can help.