H34 1984 3GMF engine mounts

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
I was going through the old posts and found some on replacing the engine mounts, something we never even thought about. I have the part numbers for the front and back but was just wondering if there were better alternatives to Yanmar? Can I just use my engine hoist to lift the engine slightly and install new mounts or do I need to disconnect the prop shaft? Also is it difficult to align the engine after reinstalling new mounts?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I did mine a few years back .. The engine has to be disconnected at the coupling to be able to move it enough to clear the studs on the mounts.. I used a small automobile scissors jack to lift one end .. then the other.. There is enough slack in wires/hoses to move the engine without disconnecting anything, but the exhaust hose is stiff enough that I disconnected that for ease of motion.. If you go back with Yanmar, you can carefully measure the distance from the tops of the studs to the engine mounts and pre set the new mounts to get close for alignment.. If you use mounts other than Yanmar, you may have to use spacers (under the mounts) to get the new mounts in the correct locations.. I think Allan used a different brand mount successfully and posted his work on the site.. I went with Yanmar; expensive, but didn't require any other work to install.. Re alignment is a tedious job but not too difficult if ya take your time .. If not sure about that job, it'd be best to call in an experienced guy after you've done the mount replacement.. Good Luck !!

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I used the main sheet to lift the engine up just enough to slide them in. I went with the Yanmar mounts because I was not able to verify conclusively whether any of the aftermarket mounts where as good. Some said yes. Others said no. And Yes. you need to disconnect the prop shaft and take the time to properly realign it. First mark the location of the engine at each mount relative to the frame to get it close then once you have it in go through the procedure of aligning the shaft. There are many threads and U-Tube videos on it.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
I have not replaced my mounts, but have lifted the engine twice to pull the shaft out ( with the coupling on- so that height is lots for mount replacement). I lifted the engine with my main sheet block set with the top attached to a 4x4 piece of wood across the companionway and the other end connected to a short chain that attached to the two bolt top loops that are on the 3GMF . Was able to lift it alone with no problem. Put a couple of blocks of wood under it when you have your hands in there.