H336 Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Hello all, I am planning several upgrade to a 336 (chartplotter, radar, dc outlets, fans, TV, autopilot, etc) and am looking for info from anyone who has done this kinda work. Searching these forums I see Rick with Whiskey Chaser has done quite a bit of upgrades. Anyone out there have his files (can't PM him) or other good advice, or Rick if you're still out there can I get some info from you? Thanks in advance...

Johann

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
Go Raymarine and the chartplotter, radar, wind, speed and autopilot can be tied together.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Thanks for the info... Ive been looking a Raymarine quite a bit, I have their depth, speed and wind already, and will get the wheelpilot, but found an ebay deal on a garmin 3206 bundle I couldn't pass up... so that's my chartplotter/radar... But before I tear the boat up installing it I was looking for advice on the install, and any ideas/lessons learned from previous installs...

Johann

Oct 2, 2008
Beneteau Oceanis 40CC Vancouver
I did the Raymarine S1 autopilot. Pretty straight forward. Only headache was the rudder sensor but that has been eliminated in the new wheel pilots. I could send photos if you are interested.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I did the Raymarine S1 autopilot. Pretty straight forward. Only headache was the rudder sensor but that has been eliminated in the new wheel pilots. I could send photos if you are interested.
That would be great, I will send you a PM.

Johann

Aug 27, 2011
Hunter 336 Scotland
I have a Garmin plotter, wind, speed, depth and VHF radio which I intend to integrate with a Raymarine X-5 wheelpilot and I hope to start installing it all tomorrow. The Garmin gear is all NMEA 2000 whilst the Raymarine is NMEA 0183 but from the research I have done so far this does not seem to be a great problem other than the 2000 being plug and play and the 0183 needing to be wired into the network. It looks like the necessary data is all compatible.

As to the running of the wiring etc, I will try to take some photo’s as I tackle the jobs. I am having the mast dropped at the weekend to allow me to fit the wind gauge and a new VHF antenna (and fully check the rigging). The boat currently has old wind, speed etc and my big hope is that the Airmar transducers will fit in the same skin fittings to save changing those too.

If you get things done faster than me then please share your experiences.

Cheers, Neil

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Neil, Im afraid I wont start work until Feb/Mar... but I will try to take photos and am interested in yours. Is the 336 legend the same layout as the vanilla 336?

Aug 27, 2011
Hunter 336 Scotland
I started hauling things apart last weekend. I have removed the transducers and skin fittings for the depth and speed instruments and was happy to discover that the new Airmar transducers are the same size as the existing holes. I forgot the camera but will try to remember it next time.
I am trying to decide where to position the instruments and how to run the cabling. The wind, speed and depth (Garmin GM10) will replace the old Autohelm gear and the NMEA 2000 wires should run through the same spaces. I think the chartplotter will need to be beside them as I can't figure anywhere it will look okay on the steering pedestal. I will have to run NMEA 0183 cabling from the plotter to my Raymarine X-5 wheel pilot but that looks fairly straightforward.
Hunter Legend is what the Hunter range was imported to the UK as because there was already a Hunter boat company here. I guess it is the same layout as the Hunter 336 but I haven't heard of a Vanilla.

Aug 27, 2011
Hunter 336 Scotland
I have been happy to discover that most of the cables which run through the bilge are in conduit pipes which has made getting the new wires in place "relatively easy". There were existing speed and depth instruments in place so i pulled those through with a mousing line attached. The difficulty was getting the new NMEA 2000 plugs round any corners etc.
I have removed the panels at the port and starboard side above the seating and found that Hunter had left mousing lines in the conduits in the "roof" space there which will help with running the cable from the wind transducer to the new network.
The sonar cable has to run all the way from the through-hull transducer to the rear of the Garmin unit which I have fitted abopve the companionway. This will be a devil of a job due to the narrow space and corners it will have to run through above the head compartment door but I will be tackling that tomorrow.
The T pieces in the network will be behind the infill in the hanging locker beside the switch panel with only one network cable having to go to the Chartplotter and GM10 display.
I will run NMEA 0183 cables to the Raymarine Wheel pilot and to the Garmin DSC radio.
The refrigeration unit is now installed in the coolbox with the compressor in the cupboard under the galley sink and appears to work well.

I will be back at it tomorrow and will keep you posted,
Neil

Oct 2, 2008
Refrigeration

Neil,

the conversion of the icebox to a fridge is my next project. Which components did you take ? I was thinking of the Novakool RT4 freezer box which should fit nicely and the compressor in the storage space next to the water heater.

Andreas

Aug 27, 2011
Hunter 336 Scotland
Andreas,
I have fitted a Dometic/Waeco unit, the Coldmachine 85 compressor and the VD-09 evaporator.

I wasn't sure whether the hot water tank would put out too much heat to allow fitting the unit in the same space so opted for the under sink space.
The insulation around the coolbox is around 2 inches thick so I am hoping for a pretty efficient set-up.

Cheers,
Neil

Aug 27, 2011
Hunter 336 Scotland
Fridge update

Andreas,
On further inspection I think most of the insulation is nearer three inches thick around the coolbox. I switched the fridge on and a small jug of water started to freeze after half an hour or so sitting inside the evaporator unit. the temperature outside was about 4C so I wait to see how it goes in warmer weather but I am impressed so far.
The NMEA 2000 network is up and running, with the Garmin chartplotter, sonar and the GMI 10 all reading what they should. I wish now I had bought an NMEA 2000 radio instead of the 0183 unit but never mind.

I now have to run the wiring for the wheel-pilot which looks like a bit of a task. If anyone has fitted one of these I would be grateful of any advice.

Oct 2, 2008
Neil,
thanks for the fridge info. I'm still checking which components to take.

I've done the S1 wheelpilot and taken a few photos. I'll send you a PM.

Andreas

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Andreas,
On further inspection I think most of the insulation is nearer three inches thick around the coolbox.
How did you determine this? Any idea if there is space for additional insulation? Removing part of the cabinet outboard of the sink to expose the ice box insulation for inspection has been on my to-do list for a long time. I'm also curious if there might be room beneath the ice box insulation to run a 4" vent line for air conditioning to the aft cabin. Our boat's previous owner installed the A/C unit under the port setee, and the route he chose to run the vent line to the aft cabin has way too many 90 degree bends in it for good air flow.

Aug 27, 2011
Hunter 336 Scotland
Insulation thickness

I had to use a holesaw to cut a 1 1/2" hole from the cupboard under the sink through to the inside of the coolbox to run the thermostat cable and the inlet pipe for the evaporator. I haven't been able to check the thickness all of the way round as the rest of it is all boxed in but it looks likely that it is a similar thickness all round.
I tried to run the new cable for the cooker under the coolbox but couldn't find any access so I assumed that the insulation fills that space.

Last edited:

wendy

Jul 15, 2009
Hunter 336 TX
Neil
I am doing the same deal on my 336, could you provide some photos?
Thanks
Steve

Aug 27, 2011
Hunter 336 Scotland
Steve,
A few photo's showing the work in progress. Excuse the contents of the fridge. The fridge cables etc still have to be routed and secured.

%20
%20
%20
[/IMG]

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Just a tip, if you haven't already done it, I'd either put a rubber grommet in the access plate hole that you've run your wiring though, or else maybe use some flex coil to pad the wires with. The way it looks in the picture, you could get some chafe where the wires run through the access plate.

wendy

Jul 15, 2009
Hunter 336 TX
Hi
I am researching a similar upgrade Raymarine A/Pilot to Garmin Instruments-to my 95 336, I would be very interested in your experiences, advice and photos of the wiring/installation 'ayouts.....thankyou
Steve

Aug 27, 2011
Hunter 336 Scotland
Thanks Robertsapp,
The wire and evaporator tube are held in the middle of the hole with sealant but I will just check that there is no movement.
Steve,
The Garmin and Raymarine systems appear to speak to each other okay although both manufacturers refer you to the other for wiring instructions. The thing to remember is that the Garmin system uses the common ground (black -ve) as the -ve for the NMEA0183 data and the Raymarine -ve's (both Rx and Tx) have to be wired to that for the data to get to where it is needed. The boat is still on dry land so I haven't calibrated the compass etc for the Autohelm yet.
The Garmin NMEA2000 system makes the wiring for wind, speed and depth transducers pretty straightforward to integrate with the chartplotter and GMI 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.