H310 heeling

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
1998 wing keel with new main & orig jib. Jib is probsbly anout a 110. Main is very close to orig size but loose foot.
Do you have pictures of your sails? The jib is probably blown and contributes to heel more than to drive. Make sure your outhaul on the main is tight. Snug up the halyard and down on the Cunningham, of you have one. Joe mentioned dropping the traveler. Trimming your sails a little flatter will put less force into heeling and more of it into driving.

-Will

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think there is some photo trickery at work.

Trying to identify the image presented by the poster, it appears to be a close up shot of the companion way cover.

If this is true then the weather deck at that point on the boat slopes towards the sides of the boat either port or starboard. Based on observation of 310 boat images I suspect the location is on the port side of the companion way.

In order for the gauge to properly function the top of the gauge must be level with the horizon not a boat part.

So the 30 degree list appears to be induced by poor gauge installation not the boat heeling.
310 Image.jpg

310 gauge .jpg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
It is nearly impossible to have the H310 heel more than 20° before the mainsail spills the wind.

On my H430 you can not heel enough to put the the gunwales in the water.

Thus the boat will broach, will lack rudder control and right itself.

Jim...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
If the guage says zero when at rest on a calm day and gives 30 degrees of heel on both tacks, it isn't the guage that is the problem. 30 degrees is a hard concept to get, but it's simple enough to measure.

Heeling Too Far – Inability To Point High – Strong Weather Helm – Slow Boat Speed – Do These Have Anything In Common?
Yes – All of these conditions could easily be explained by old, “blown out” sails.
It is amazing how often I hear about a new sailboat owner who either did not inspect the sails that came with the “new” boat, or who didn’t know what to look for when inspecting the old sails. Just finding that there were not any holes, rips or missing stitches… did not mean that the sails were in good shape.
Excessive Heeling, Weather Helm, Jibes

-Will