H27, Pulling mast - Drop roller furling first?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
Hey folks, I'm planning to pull the mast on my 1984 h27 to rewire and resolve compression post issues, but never having pulled the mast before, I'm not sure whether to pull the mast with the roller furling still attached, or to tie a line on the top of the roller furling and ease down before pulling the mast. What the advise? Thanks Tony

More details - boat will be in the water and the boat yard will use a tall forklift to raise and lower the mast. The roller furling is a Furlex 100 and I'm concerned about the aluminum extrusion bending or breaking.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I have pulled the mast on my boats several times. I just leave the furler on. Remove the sail. Just be careful with it. You do not want to bend or kink any of the foils. When you store the mast wrap up the furler and secure it to the mast along its length so that it will not hang down and bend a foil.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We (the Admiral and I) used to pull the mast (on a manual crane) every winter in our previous marina. markwbird got it right. The key is to have two people to do the job, one to control the mast, while the other disconnects the wiring, then manages the stays and fuller as the mast is lowered.