H26 Trailer Issues

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The roller helps lift the bow when loading the boat, and prevents it from dropping and hitting the cross members when launching.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The original trailer had nothing if memory serves right but could be wrong. The high roller creates more issues when launching and retrieving. Period!!! I have advocated protection on the forward brace so the bow will not hit it and if It did would brush off. The best advice is to lower that roller and cut the excess legs off. I like the set up on @Kermit boat and hopefully he can post a photo.
As for a substantial drop down hitch, remember you are raising the back end of the boat when launching/ retrieving

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
My objectives in using the drop down was a) to achieve a level trailer (not sure how important that actually is to trailering) and b) to raise the stern to provide clearance for my outboard motor. Perhaps it affects launch/retrieval, I hadn't thought of that however I don't usually have too much trouble with that.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I thought you had considered but there are some who do not nor even look. Once I literally down in North Carolina blocked a 260 from being launched for the first time at the ramp. No I do not know the owner. He got mad cursing me for blocking him and I had my hand pointed upwards. Without looking, Mr. B___hole threatened to call the police but his wife did look up and saw the power lines and started to yell at her husband. He profusely apologized and then informed him I was a dealer who sold many of the boats. He and I spoke regularly and later purchased a larger boat from me as I saved his butt more than once. We became close friends.
dave