H26 stay & shroud t-connectors.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
When I step the mast, the t-connectors continually fall out and don't seat right without monkeying with them. I assume they are loose due to age. I am wondering why the lower shrouds were made removable while the uppers weren't (@crazydave?). Does anyone disconnect the shrouds completely to trailer? I am thinking about installing metal straps to keep the t-connectors pointing down so they can't turn and therefore can't fall out or seat improperly. Thoughts?

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
There were retainers? Holy cow that explains a lot! My boat came from AZ, so they probably dried up and fell off years ago. Thank goodness for this forum and all you helpful folks.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
I ordered the retainers then noticed they say H240. I'm assuming they will work on my H26.

Jul 5, 2017
Catalina 28 MKii 741 Rocky Fork Lake
I have seen several demastings as a result of this.
Strongly suggest putting electric tape or painters tape over the shrouds just below the holes. After mast is up, shake the shrouds to make sure they are still seated correctly before disconnecting the mast raising system.

MrEd

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 240 Louisville, KY/ Patoka Lake,IN
Or you could just open a bottle of wine. Fashion retainers by carving the artificial cork into a properly-sized wedge - you ought to get 3 or 4 per cork. I’ve used these on my 240 for over 20 years (grandson in avatar just finished first Marine Corps hitch)and have only had to replace a few. Red wine can be a first step to a Mediterranean-style healthy diet.