H216 motor recommendation

Apr 27, 2017
Hunter 216 Tampa
About to get my first sailboat since I was a kid a h216 do I'm curious what's a reliable motor to get for the boat. I'll be using it in Tampa bay so the wind can pick up unexpectedly, storms as well. Need something really reliable if I have to motor in from middle of the bay due to weather

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I was involved with the testing of the boat as a dealer and much involved with the construction of the boat as a dealer. Honda 2 hp or Tohatsu/Mercury/Nissan (all the same engine) say 2-3 hp. I would be cautious with the full throttle of a 3 or 3.5. See my response under small boats.

Apr 27, 2017
Hunter 216 Tampa
I was involved with the testing of the boat as a dealer and much involved with the construction of the boat as a dealer. Honda 2 hp or Tohatsu/Mercury/Nissan (all the same engine) say 2-3 hp. I would be cautious with the full throttle of a 3 or 3.5. See my response under small boats.
Thanks Crazy Dave. Any other tips for a new hunter 216 owner as far as conditions go? Safe up to what wind speed? Etc?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Private email me with phone number and mention Tampa area. I had a lot of good times when I came down to shows and Catalina as well. Your information is safe with me. Also Chuckwayne is a good source on this boat.