H 34 no power above 2800 rpm

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Might Be Time .........................

It is very strange that hunter_healer and I are both limited to 2800 RPM with no other symptoms.
....................... to look at a few of the other usual suspects outside of the engine itself:

- dirty prop
- dirty hull
- over propped ? (but you say it's only been like this for a few years)
- tachometer not reading properly

Jan 4, 2006
H 34 3GM30F limited to 2800 rpm

In neutral it goes to 34000 rpm
And we have lift-off.

But seriously, have you manually tried to exceed 2800 RPM while out on the water, as mentioned by spraygun ? There may be a problem with the linkage

Feb 11, 2006
Hunter 34 Galveston,Texas
....................... to look at a few of the other usual suspects outside of the engine itself:

- dirty prop
- dirty hull
- over propped ? (but you say it's only been like this for a few years)
- tachometer not reading properly
I would add one more item.
Have you replaced both fuel
filters ?
You can put it in gear at the dock and experiment.

Jan 4, 2006
In the water in neutral goes right up to 3400 rpm
I lost a little something in the in the translation:

While manually adjusting the throttle control, by hand, right at the engine, are you able to exceed 2800 RPM while in gear ?

I would suggest doing this out on the water as the dock may not be able to withstand the force. This will take some organization as you will need to have someone on the helm while you disconnect the linkage and then manually force the throttle lever, at the engine, to 100%.

I can already hear the protests that the throttle is actually a governor speed select and when the throttle handle calls for 3400 and gets 3400 in neutral, the linkage is not the problem. Maybe so, but this is a quick and free test so might as well eliminate it early on.

One final PS to this ................ any black smoke showing when you max out at 2800 RPM ? This may indicate a shortage of air.

Feb 11, 2006
Hunter 34 Galveston,Texas
I lost a little something in the in the translation:

While manually adjusting the throttle control, by hand, right at the engine, are you able to exceed 2800 RPM while in gear ?

I would suggest doing this out on the water as the dock may not be able to withstand the force. This will take some organization as you will need to have someone on the helm while you disconnect the linkage and then manually force the throttle lever, at the engine, to 100%.

I can already hear the protests that the throttle is actually a governor speed select and when the throttle handle calls for 3400 and gets 3400 in neutral, the linkage is not the problem. Maybe so, but this is a quick and free test so might as well eliminate it early on.

One final PS to this ................ any black smoke showing when you max out at 2800 RPM ? This may indicate a shortage of air.
I'm sorry for saying at the dock for testing.I forgot that all of us are not on storm tested concrete floating piers.Just use good judgment.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Today I manually throttled up the engine using the "regulator lever". It went to the stop and to what I am assuming was 2800 RPM, but I didn't go look at the tachometer to be sure. When I pushed on the spring loaded adjustment nut, it went a couple hundred RPM higher, from the sound of it. Maybe I do have a linkage problem. I also noticed that the wire securing the fuel injection limiter was no longer connected to the lead tab and wire from the no-load maximum speed limiter. A diagram is attached.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
I also noticed that the wire securing the fuel injection limiter was no longer connected to the lead tab and wire from the no-load maximum speed limiter.
Those usually fall off within the first couple of operating hours. No problem as long as you don't try moving the nuts (which the wire is intended to prevent).

Today I manually throttled up the engine using the "regulator lever". It went to the stop and to what I am assuming was 2800 RPM, but I didn't go look at the tachometer to be sure.
You really should have some hard and fast numbers as witnessed by yourself or someone else.

When I pushed on the spring loaded adjustment nut, it went a couple hundred RPM higher, from the sound of it.
It may have gone a couple of hundred RPM higher but you're still looking for 3600 RPM under load.

Any chance you can pick up a $5.00 handheld tachometer from this Harbor Freight which I hear everyone talking about. It's cheap, but you'll only use it once a year.

Jun 12, 2013
Hunter 40 back creek
Loss of power on water

Today I manually throttled up the engine using the "regulator lever". It went to the stop and to what I am assuming was 2800 RPM, but I didn't go look at the tachometer to be sure. When I pushed on the spring loaded adjustment nut, it went a couple hundred RPM higher, from the sound of it. Maybe I do have a linkage problem. I also noticed that the wire securing the fuel injection limiter was no longer connected to the lead tab and wire from the no-load maximum speed limiter. A diagram is attached.
When at dock in neutral full throttle goes to 3400 rpm but when motoring in forward full throttle reads 2800 rpm. All filters changed! I was told that the hull and prop were probably loaded up with stuff! My next project

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I am glad that you are able to reach 3400 RPM indicated in neutral pierside. You might have a poor connection to your tachometer. Buy or borrow a hand held tachometer to verify the reading.
A fouled propeller is the first thing that comes to mind regarding your lack of power It is the simplest and easiest to check. Then you have the mixing elbow, injector pump, air filter, fuel filters, dirty fuel or injectors, or blocked fuel line.
A fouled hull wouldn't stop your engine from reaching the RPM, just from reaching the appropriate speed through the water

Jun 12, 2013
Hunter 40 back creek
Re: Loss of power on water

Hi, never knew about this fuel inj limiter and lead and no load max speed limiter ? I don't see your diagram? Would you re-send please. Thank you, Christian

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
The diagram shows up in my post that I see above. I sent a friend request. If you accept it I will sent the diagram by private message.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Splax... I know I have a problem that the throttle on the Edson hits the SS tubing and does not allow it to go fully forward. Does yours do the same thing? Unfortunatly I don't think I can change it since my NavPod is attached to it.

-Jon

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jon, many of our skippers have simply and carefully bent the throttle handle.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Jon, Thanks for asking, but my pedestal tubing clears the engine controls by a wide margin.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Stu, Without hijacking the thread, other than banging my head against the tubing, how were they able to bend it? Pipe bender? Thanks... Jon

Splax, Oh well it was a thought.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Throttle shifter bend

Stu, Without hijacking the thread, other than banging my head against the tubing, how were they able to bend it? Pipe bender? Thanks... Jon

Don't know for sure, but the amount required was very little. ITWMB, I'd start by wrapping it around a 2x4 with a rubber mallet for starters.

You might also investigate what you can do with the insert below the screw onto the linkage.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
take the handle off the stem and put it between two boards in a vice and slowly tighten it ....all you are trying to do is bend the kink that makes the 45 degree the handle and don't get greedy theses things cost 65.00 ...just a little at a time ...