Gray Water Shower Sump Pump

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
I have a 2006 Hunter 45 CC,. The aft shower and sink drain into an "Atwood" sump with a float switch pump, which discharges overboard. My problem is that the pump constantly cycles on and off due to the backflow draining back into the sump. I have added an inline backflow preventer, but after so many years it too leaks. I am sure that this setup is common on a lot of other Hunter models. Question; Has anyone changed over to the "Whale Grey IC Shower Waste Pump Kit"?? I believe that the 12-volt model number is WM 8284. If not, has anyone changed the system so as to prevent the recycling? Any and all ideas welcome.

Thanks,
Jeff

Yes, I have switched out both Atwood grey water boxes for Whale Grey Water IC's and couldn't be happier. Essentially maintenance free and they work as advertised. In both cases I used the boxes with two ports per pump. The stern Grey water IC handles my icebox drain, and aft shower. The forward one handles the forward shower, and soon the spare port will be getting plumbed inline to a small whale gusher pump that I can use to vacuum up the last bits of water out of the bottom of my bilge. (The gusher will push the water up to the grey water IC, which will push it the rest of the way out.) This won't be my primary bilge pump, just a nice way to quickly get those last few drips out of the bilge.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
My solution is a small kid's water toy pump with a small hose attached to it. It only takes a couple of seconds to suck in the little water from the bilge or the shower sump and poor it in the sink. You can buy a pack of four for less than $10 and the bilge is always dry.

I tried various solutions (check valve, smaller hoses, etc.) prior to that but eventually my kids solved the problem for me.

SV Pizzazz

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I don't have a sump pump on my 2007 diaphragm pump just a hose
from shower drain into pump with on and off switch in shower area
and I do have a little dropped floor with teak grate and just hit switch and the pumps out the boat.
I am thinking of adding some kind of sump pump into bilge for AC draining into the sump pump
and my other pump that I have now to pump over board but not sure what I should do to keep boat dryer bilge.
Nick