Head deck drains

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
My boat has a wet head and the deck drain goes to a pump and overboard. Doesn't the c380 have a separate shower? Then that explains the sump pump. Any water in the head is probably just clear water and can drain to the bilge and not leave suds.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
My boat has a wet head and the deck drain goes to a pump and overboard.
Unless the shower drain has a hose that connects it directly to the pump--which would be unusual because hair, soap scum etc can quickly clog a pump--your boat has a shower sump.

Whether there's a separate shower stall or not, shower water and any water down any other drain in the head should drain into a sump and most boats that don't have separate showers have one. Nothing --and btw, that also includes ice boxes--should drain into the bilge because ANY water in a bilge can stagnate and stink So if there is no sump, install one--and possibly a second one for any ice box if you can't route that drain and the shower into the same one... 'cuz sumps are a lot easier to keep clean than bilges.

Last edited:

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
Yes I should have been clearer. I have a recessed sump in the head that has a drain pipe that goes to a filter and then a diaphram pump. My icebox drain goes to a foot pump that pumps into the sink. On that c380 I would try to find where the head drain goes to. I was considering one of those boats for the separate shower but the price was too high.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
what you talkin about Willis.
Only my friends call me WILLIS:p. You may call me BoneHEAD:cowbell:

I never Presume other's expertise. It saves arguments like...
"Yeah? ... Yes, Yeah!, OK jerk prove it! .... Who you calling a JERK? YOU!!! ...But I have 10 years of experience!!... I have 10.5 years so I win:ass: "

Showers, sinks and lavatories are termed "Grey water" and can be discharged over board, normally above your boats water line when pumped.

It doesn't appear to have any way to drain to the bilge that I could find by unscrewing the various 'floorboards' in the cabin. My next plan is to push a piece of fairly stiff wire into one of the holes and try to discover where it leads.
Try pouring water dyed with food coloring. Open the Sump box where the sump pump is and and observe. Do the same with your main bilge.
Jim...

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Showers, sinks and lavatories are termed "Grey water"
33 CFR ("Code of Federal Regulations") 1322 (11) defines "gray water" as "galley, bath, and shower water;" not the showers, sinks etc from which it's discharged. With the exception of a few closed inland lakes and some specifically designated areas of the FL Keys National Marine Sancturary in which even bilge pumps must be turned off too, gray water may legally be discharged directly overboard above or below waterline from recreational vessels in all U.S inland and coastal waters. "No discharge" regulations apply only to "sewage," defined in the CFR as "human body wastes and the wastes from toilets and other receptacles intended to receive or retain body wastes." And btw, the CFR defines "discharge" as "includes, but is not limited to, any spilling, leaking, pumping, pouring, emitting, emptying or dumping."

But I have 10 years of experience!!... I have 10.5 years so I win:ass: "
Wellll...that depends on whether you actually have 10.5 years experience, or one year's experience 10.5 times? :kick:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I love this forum because it makes me check my stuff. I just did the spring cleaning of my Main HEAD sump and pump all in one just now.
http://www.amazon.com/Rule-98A-12-Volt-Multi-Port-Mercury/dp/B000O89DQ0
and I back flush the pump discharge and forward flushed the overboard line ( it was barely dribbling at start)
The 3 inlet ports pass through and easily removable coarse strainer. My inlets were from..
1) Lavatory
2) Deck drain for the entire HEAD enclosure but centered under shower area.
3) Refrigerator drain

If the sump box over flows it goes easily to main bilge.

I flushed back black particles, tweezered out hair around the sump pump impeller.
I found this rubber piece destroyed and it looks like a "JOKERette" valve.
sumppumpJoker.jpeg

I can't web find this part. Looks like for a 1/2 hose.
My discharge line volume ( self proclaimed pumping expert;))is about 2 quarts grey water back flow potential. I will verify my expert calcs by actual test without the Joker.
Anybody know where to find that part?
Jim...

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I don't think it's a joker valve, although it could be a flapper valve...I had a simlar looking one in my generator exhaust line. Was it in the sump pump? Or just lying around loose in the sump? It looks like it's been "fried" by dry friction heat, which would also have destroyed the impeller. I wonder if your sump pump has been replaced since it happened.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Was it in the sump pump?
If you look at that link picture (my post #28), the discharge of the pump (Red top) has a white pipe to the single hose outlet in the sump box. That stub pipe has in insert black "ledge" to prevent the flapper (joker like shape) check valve from pumping away. Thus the wide flange part (upper left of my pict) rests against that "ledge" and flow is from there to lower right pict side.

The good news it there was no significant back flow from discharge line to sump box, therefore no pump cycling. Boy it took only 25 seconds to drain a full sump, without that part installed.:clap:
Just saved $130 and no garbage or mold in my "like new" sump box and inlet lines.
Thanks...
Jim...