Gradually updating electronics (for the budget minded sailor)

Feb 9, 2016
Ranger Ranger 28 Durango, CO
I just purchased a 1975 Marieholm's International Folkboat(IF). I plan to slowly upgrade the electronics on my IF to include a chartplotter, autopilot(tiller), depth/speed/temp, wind speed/direction, and of course position with anchor alarm. Problem is I don't think I can use any of what I have with any of the modern electronics. My server was built in 2000 and the frequency is outdated. So I'm looking for suggestions on how to create a reasonable budgeting strategy. I already have 2 Westinghouse 2kw gensets that can run in parallel. I have a cranking and a house battery but plan to add a 2nd house battery. Boat has a fairly new Kubota (Beta) 14hp diesel with very few hours. I plan to add a sculling oar (yuloh), offset to starboard in the stern to avoid using the diesel too much. Would like to someday add a windlass. I'm in the process of building a mast stepping system that will allow me to solo step the mast using a winch and a rising receiver on the front of the trailer (it's almost ready to test, fingers crossed).

So the questions: Any suggestions on brands that don't plan obsolescence before I can finish my projects? Anything to stay away from? Any online sources that have value(low prices but good quality) and good customer service?

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
what are you planning to do? For the budget minded chart plotter = smart phone and ap or laptop and CPN.
Do you have a depth sounder, that can be handy. Diesel is cheap, a boat such as yours likely motors at 5knots for 0.5 gal. Cost is $2 an hour. So sculling is nice and planet friendly but payback on your project is maybe not as good as you think. I can't imagine that on such a small boat it would make sense to have 2 genesets in addition to the motor.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
upgrade the electronics on my IF to include a chartplotter, autopilot(tiller),
Where do you plan to sail?

A paper chart and an autopilot would be the first thing on my list.

I've said it many times: a handheld inexpensive GPS, like a Garmin GPSMap76Cx and its brethren, ARE chartplotters, simply with smaller screens, that work just like the big guys, although you can't do AIS on them.

Make a list of needs, first, then consider the wants and would be nice to haves.

Good luck, nice boat.

With an inboard diesel (nice engine, BTW), I don't know what you know or don't know. This link may help you find information:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6437.0.html

JTulls

Dec 6, 2014
International 14 and J-Boat J80 San Diego
Where do you plan to sail?

A paper chart and an autopilot would be the first thing on my list.
I agree with this -- depending on the sailing you're doing, a handheld unit and paper charts for backup might be all you need. The cheapest option is probably just to use your phone or tablet and download a navigation app. The technology jump in phones has probably surpassed most handheld units at this point, haha! I really like using Navionics on my ipad (you can download it for free and get a trial of the full version) but there are other options out there. There are also apps that can do anchor watch/alarm for you too.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Your Folkboat is about the same size as my boat. Where do YOU find room for YOU with all the gensets, and batteries???
I've cruised mine from Texas to the Chesapeake, and through the Bahamas with hand held GPS units,, a depthsounder and a VHF with AIS receive. Also a smart phone and tablet with Nav programs

32 watt solar panel and a single grp 27

Don't over load yourself, and or over load the boat

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
LOL - that's a LOT of electronics for a simple boat! I sailed my Cal 25 (somewhat similar to a Folkboat) with nothing more than paper charts, a depth sounder and a good compass. You can rig self-steering with a bungee cord and the jib-sheet.

And having tried to row my Cal 25, I'd suggest you consider using the diesel! ;)

I currently have a Garmin GPS with depth-sounder built in (can't remember the model...). The screen is big enough to be a chart-plotter (although I still mainly use paper charts...), it gives me charts, position, depth, speed (over ground, not through the water), etc. so it's all I need. Oh, and a Windex at the top of the mast for wind direction. AND a good compass! [EDIT] And a good VHF.

druid