Got a Venture 22

Dec 1, 2016
Macgregor Venture 22' Hatfield
Hello, first I want to introduce myself. I am in college and I have been wanting to sail ever since I did it down in the Florida Keys. I recently bought a V22 for a good price. It needs a little work but the sails are in good shape. I plan to repaint the hull (don't like the color), replace wiring (It is in okay condition but I what to make it cleaner), and finally replace some counters in the cabin.
The running rigging needs to be replaced, do you guys have any suggestions to what brand? It came with 2 mains, 2 jibs, 1 genoa, 1 spinnaker, and small jib (storm jib?). Also any suggestions on anything would be greatly appreciated!
20161129_105111.jpg
20161129_125348.jpg
20161129_125350.jpg
20161128_105311.jpg

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Congratulations Ghillieman and welcome. The V-22 is a nice choice. We loved ours. A little cleaning and paint and she should be good to go. Which running rigging to buy depends a lot on what you plan to do with the boat. For basic recreational sailing you'll do fine with any 5/16 double braided Dacron (also called polyester). I would recommend using different colors to make it easy to identify each particular line.

Dec 1, 2016
Congratulations Ghillieman and welcome. The V-22 is a nice choice. We loved ours. A little cleaning and paint and she should be good to go. Which running rigging to buy depends a lot on what you plan to do with the boat. For basic recreational sailing you'll do fine with any 5/16 double braided Dacron (also called polyester). I would recommend using different colors to make it easy to identify each particular line.
Would you know approximate feet I would need to replace the main halyard and possibly the jib halyard (I think that is what they are called)?

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Congrats Ghilliemann!! Welcome to the Legion of the Damned!:cuss: We enjoyed our '72 V-222 for five years. Cruised and raced California coast From San Diego to British Columbia. Great boat. Very forgiving and comfy. Tends to round up in heavy wind with big Genoa. Just ease the jib sheet and she'll do fine. Found her a good home when we bought Freedom. 5/16 yacht braid, (common name) is best size for halyard and sheets. Easy formula. For halyards, measure length of mast X 2 plus at least 10 ft. This will give you enough "tail". Good suggestion on different colors for line. I buy mine from Minnies Yacht Surplus in Costa Mesa, Cal. Good prices and they will ship. Also don't buy cheap blocks etc. Go with good quality. Looks like you might have an early 70's hull. Do you know what hull # is. You can find it drilled into the fore and aft strake under the starboard seat. Keep us yatch junkies posted on progess.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Sta-Set for halyards. for sheets you can use the stuff from Cajun Ropes, great pricing. SBO store should have Sta-Set. Web search for new shackles, might as well replace those too if you are replacing the lines.

Dec 1, 2016
Congrats Ghilliemann!! Welcome to the Legion of the Damned!:cuss: We enjoyed our '72 V-222 for five years. Cruised and raced California coast From San Diego to British Columbia. Great boat. Very forgiving and comfy. Tends to round up in heavy wind with big Genoa. Just ease the jib sheet and she'll do fine. Found her a good home when we bought Freedom. 5/16 yacht braid, (common name) is best size for halyard and sheets. Easy formula. For halyards, measure length of mast X 2 plus at least 10 ft. This will give you enough "tail". Good suggestion on different colors for line. I buy mine from Minnies Yacht Surplus in Costa Mesa, Cal. Good prices and they will ship. Also don't buy cheap blocks etc. Go with good quality. Looks like you might have an early 70's hull. Do you know what hull # is. You can find it drilled into the fore and aft strake under the starboard seat. Keep us yatch junkies posted on progess.
Awesome thanks! The number I found was 214, the title says it is a 1970.

Dec 1, 2016
I am looking at replacing that board that is on the port side but it looks like it is glassed to the hull. How do I go about taking that out an replacing that?

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Looks like you have early model from first year. Classic. Portside stringer. Can you send a picture? Is it damaged, rotted ?. Perhaps fasten and glass a second board next to it. Picture says thousand words.