Gopro sailing camera

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
I have some extra Christmas gift cash and am thinking of buying a gopro action camera and mounting it around on the sailboat. Has anyone tried one of these for this and how do you like it?. I am thinking of putting it halfway up the mast on the spinnaker topping lift line or mounting it on the stern rail or bow pulpit. ??

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Those things are so versatile, I wouldn't want to permanently mount it anywhere.

Great on the end of a stick to check out inaccessible places, even underwater.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Checkout my Utube site, "sailingwiththecuscus". All shot with a GoPro Hero 3. I highly recommend it. Get the handle bar mount and attach it to your stern rails, stanchions or bow pulpit. I tied to the end of a spae halyard once, and raised it up high. Made an interesting video, but there was no control as to what you could aim at.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Go for it! I love the images that sailors get when they send it up a kite string.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Go Pro camera

The Go Pro camera is a great piece of gear for action videos, especially around and under the water. You'll want to get the one with the remote especially if you are going to mount it in out of reach locations. The resolution can be set super high when you want to get some professional looking results. It's a great camera for close quarters videos as it can be set for a very wide field of view to capture all the action on board and then some.

The one thing that bothers me when using this camera (or any other video camera) on a sailboat is the fact that you loose the sense of heeling when the camera is mounted to the boat. The boat is always level and the horizon is constantly changing. I'm making a gimbaled mount for my Go Pro this winter to resolve this issue. Experiment with different mounting locations. I personally like to keep the camera mounted as close to the action as possible as it gives the viewer the feeling that they are part of the crew and not just watching from a distance.

Don't expect to video an entire day of sailing or racing as the battery life will last about an hour with the standard battery. Battery options are available as well has a bizzilion accessories. You'll find that you'll be using this camera for practical applications like examining difficult to access nooks and crannies on your boat or analyzing crew maneuvers after a race. I highly recommend this camera.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
On a halyard or line it will twist like crazy. Try on your mainsail headboard.

If you mount it on deck, it's best to get a stabilized mount, like a HorizonTrue.

http://youtu.be/JhooGjFyLWE

Oct 3, 2011
Tayana 52 Jax
Haven't tried it underwater but the wifi pack does allow you to have video in real time on your iPad.
Anyone tried this underwater? ( with iPad in cockpit of course)

Nov 8, 2010
Haven't tried it underwater but the wifi pack does allow you to have video in real time on your iPad.
Anyone tried this underwater? ( with iPad in cockpit of course)
Wifi does not work underwater. No HF radio signal does. Nor is the gopro wifi remote 'real time' on all but the current model there is a few second lag.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
A friend of mine has a Contour camera, and he mounts it to his bike helmet for cyclocross races. We were just talking about it vs. a GoPro. GoPro certainly has the brand recognition and mind-share right now. But we think it's kind of a crappy form factor, all boxy and blocky, with a separate waterproof box to put it in. I mean, why not make the whole gizmo waterproof, if you're just going to have a waterproof box for it? All that being said, it does get great results, and you know popular reality shows like Axe Men, Gold Rush, and Deadliest Catch are using them all the time.

In my opinion, the best finished video results are all about editing. Raw footage from one of these things is a yawn-fest. But good editing makes all the difference in the world. Just remember, it takes like 10X or more the amount of time to make a good video… You want a cool 15 minute video? Got a day's worth of footage? And 10 hours to edit it all down to 15 minutes? I learned this from a friend of mine. He took 3 day's worth of skiing helmet cam video and edited it down to a "Ski Weekend" movie trailer style movie for us… And then never had the time to make the actual "feature film" of the weekend!

Oct 3, 2011
Tayana 52 Jax
Wifi does not work underwater. No HF radio signal does. Nor is the gopro wifi remote 'real time' on all but the current model there is a few second lag.
Thanks - didn't know about HF underwater. And yes there is a delay or lag but it would be handy to scan say the prop or rudder using the go pro on a stick while watching from the cockpit.

Nov 8, 2010
But we think it's kind of a crappy form factor, all boxy and blocky, with a separate waterproof box to put it in. I mean, why not make the whole gizmo waterproof, if you're just going to have a waterproof box for it?
I've damaged or destroyed two housings. Camera was fine. 15 dollar parts compared to a new camera. Lens cover is also replaceable.

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks - didn't know about HF underwater. And yes there is a delay or lag but it would be handy to scan say the prop or rudder using the go pro on a stick while watching from the cockpit.
Indeed. Our small boat (with 6 foot of draft) is on a lake with lots of Milfoil/weeds. We use the GoPro to make sure the keel is clean after a close pass to a weed bed when racing.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I mean, why not make the whole gizmo waterproof, if you're just going to have a waterproof box for it?
In my experience, no underwater camera that has a "waterproof" body lasts for very long, at least in saltwater. Despite religious rinsing after every use, eventually corrosion keeps the battery/memory card/USB port doors from closing properly and either the body floods or the camera simply will not function because it senses that a door is open (even when it appears closed.) But my GoPro has spent more hours submerged than all my non-camera case point and shoots combined. And it is in as good shape today as it was when I bought it three years ago.

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
wow, I think I will heard out to best buy with cash in hand this afternoon. thanks for the reply's. looks like the hero3+ black for me. likely a pole holder and rail mount. (head mount for scraping the bottom with the hooka.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
wow, I think I will heard out to best buy with cash in hand this afternoon. thanks for the reply's. looks like the hero3+ black for me. likely a pole holder and rail mount. (head mount for scraping the bottom with the hooka.
Be sure to check them out at Costco too. I think they have the Sillver Pro+ for $229.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
A friend of mine has a Contour camera, and he mounts it to his bike helmet for cyclocross races. We were just talking about it vs. a GoPro. GoPro certainly has the brand recognition and mind-share right now. But we think it's kind of a crappy form factor, all boxy and blocky, with a separate waterproof box to put it in. I mean, why not make the whole gizmo waterproof, if you're just going to have a waterproof box for it? All that being said, it does get great results, and you know popular reality shows like Axe Men, Gold Rush, and Deadliest Catch are using them all the time.

In my opinion, the best finished video results are all about editing. Raw footage from one of these things is a yawn-fest. But good editing makes all the difference in the world. Just remember, it takes like 10X or more the amount of time to make a good video… You want a cool 15 minute video? Got a day's worth of footage? And 10 hours to edit it all down to 15 minutes? I learned this from a friend of mine. He took 3 day's worth of skiing helmet cam video and edited it down to a "Ski Weekend" movie trailer style movie for us… And then never had the time to make the actual "feature film" of the weekend!
It looks like Contour is either going belly up or about to. Also read that their cameras doesn't have a replaceable battery so it the battery will not take a charge then the camera is worthless.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
GoPro camera

The iPad app by GoPro is a pretty useful tool too. I recently wanted to check the function of my speed instrument while the boat was on the hard. I set the camera up at the helm aimed at the instrument and brought the iPad with me to the bow where the transducer is located. As I spun the paddle wheel I could see the meter readings on the iPad screen.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
The Go Pro camera is a great piece of gear for action videos, especially around and under the water. You'll want to get the one with the remote especially if you are going to mount it in out of reach locations. The resolution can be set super high when you want to get some professional looking results. It's a great camera for close quarters videos as it can be set for a very wide field of view to capture all the action on board and then some.

The one thing that bothers me when using this camera (or any other video camera) on a sailboat is the fact that you loose the sense of heeling when the camera is mounted to the boat. The boat is always level and the horizon is constantly changing. I'm making a gimbaled mount for my Go Pro this winter to resolve this issue. Experiment with different mounting locations. I personally like to keep the camera mounted as close to the action as possible as it gives the viewer the feeling that they are part of the crew and not just watching from a distance.

Don't expect to video an entire day of sailing or racing as the battery life will last about an hour with the standard battery. Battery options are available as well has a bizzilion accessories. You'll find that you'll be using this camera for practical applications like examining difficult to access nooks and crannies on your boat or analyzing crew maneuvers after a race. I highly recommend this camera.
Ted, would be interested in your gimbal design as I've also been thinking about it. I''d also lilke to incorporate some amount of dampening....