Good for Standard Horizon

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Today I ordered a small part for my Standard Horizon RAM mic. I caught it with my foot and broke the part that hooks in the mic holder. Apart from being clumsy, I know many companies rob you on small parts. When I ordered this one today I was told it was $0.37. when was the last time you bought a part for 37 cents?

Ken

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is a winner Ken.. You may be on a roll. If so it would be a good time to pick up 2 lottery tickets.
The good wishes always come in 3's.
Sure hope you have not used up the other two wishes on something useless like... I wish the Admiral would make my favorite dinner tonight.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Today I ordered a small part for my Standard Horizon RAM mic. I caught it with my foot and broke the part that hooks in the mic holder. Apart from being clumsy, I know many companies rob you on small parts. When I ordered this one today I was told it was $0.37. when was the last time you bought a part for 37 cents?

Ken
That is quite nice! But I wonder why they didn't just send you the part with a note that said, "Merry Christmas"?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Sure hope you have not used up the other two wishes on something useless like... I wish the Admiral would make my favorite dinner tonight.
Wait! That is exactly what I wished for !

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Lasagna here. :beer:
Got the AC working a bit harder here in Tucson.
@Ken Cross , was it the handset or the hanger that broke? I'm guessing the hanger?
The first time I kicked it, it was the hanger. This time the little button on the back of the mike. Now I'm going to relocate the hanger.

Ken

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...When I ordered this one today I was told it was $0.37. when was the last time you bought a part for 37 cents?
Count your blessing. The little dip stick to check tranny oil was $34. Plu tax.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Appreciating my 'wireless' remote for our Simrad VHF more and more. :)
I know a number of sailors with broken cords on their wired remotes. Or, perhaps theirs were mounted in more vulnerable parts of the cockpit -- admittedly it is very difficult to feed new cabling up those SS guard rails.
Glad you found a repair....
:)

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach

Ken
Did that include shipping!?
My luck has been "Well, that's $1.75 for the gasket and $9.95 for shipping". Even when it could be put in a regular envelope and mailed with a 50 cent stamp. Very frustrating.

I'm not talking about Standard Horizon though.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago

Ken
They mustve forgotten to print the word "marine" on the part

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Did that include shipping!?
My luck has been "Well, that's $1.75 for the gasket and $9.95 for shipping". Even when it could be put in a regular envelope and mailed with a 50 cent stamp. Very frustrating.

I'm not talking about Standard Horizon though.
When I found out how cheap they are I ordered 2. The total credit card bill is 74 cents. That includes shipping.

Ken

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I've been trying to order a replacement charging cradle for my B&G for more than a year.
That "cradle" is pretty nifty. Perhaps you could have our local (brick n mortar) dealer send you one?

It might not hurt to give them a call, anyway....

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I started with a local shop. They ordered one from Simrad last fall. They called me several months later, when they noticed an aging parts order on their books. They said that the availability date had been been missed with no new date provided. This morning, I checked on the B&G web site (while looking for other info) and entered my email to be notified when it's back in stock... if ever.

This is pretty typical of my personal experience with B&G. My boat came with B&G electronics when new. In five years, I've replaced the Zeus MFD twice, the wind transducer twice, and one of my Triton displays is probably on its way out, now. :(
Sorry, I don't want to hijack a good news thread. :hijack: I'll stop now! Somebody should continue with another good news post.

WAIT! I can do that too! I'm looking for a circuit breaker for my solar panel install that will fit an existing open trim spot near my battery switches. I searched the internet, and couldn't find anything by the same manufacturer for less than $90! In an unrelated small parts transaction from Beneteau, we were having problems with my address. While getting that corrected, I asked if they might have a source for a circuit breaker similar to the one for my windlass. They checked, and have ordered one for me that will cost $24.

I feel much better now.

Edit: And it might get even better, I'm trying a Chrome browser to access the B&G web site, and I might be able to order my charging cradle now!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I would not have any other radio than Standard Horizon on my boat. Many years ago when the boat was new to me, I noticed that the VHF was not tied to the radio so you could automatically transmit lat/long/DTG/ID using the red emergency button. Right before my 3rd call to tech support (I had an appointment to call them) I was looking everything over and decided to add an extra ground from the power panel to the back of the radio. I hear a little beep and the radio is displaying latitude and longitude. Turned out there was just enough of a float in the ground that the radio just could not detect the nmea sentences. Called the guy told him what I did and thanked them for all the help.
Also helped a friend install a 2200 with AIS along with a new chartplotter and remote and that was also impressive. Would love to upgrade but my current radio has been so trouble free I just can't justify it and it is now 18 years old.