going aloft without a helper

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My b-day is almost here. I think I want to ask for a mast climbing system. One that I can use on my own. Any advice from anyone that does this?

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I use the ATN Top Climber and like it a lot. Easy to use. Although I still have a helper to run up a second safety line as I climb.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I have always used a bosun's chair and a block and tackle that is at least 5:1. I like this and have even used it at sea because it leaves my legs free to grip the mast if the boat moves around, like being waked in the anchorage. There is a special knot that locks the upper block when at the height you want, that is 100% safe. On a tall mast, it is a lot of line, but it seems the safest way to take myself aloft, not that I do this any more @ 72.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Capta,

Can you explain more about that special knot? I am very interested in this method. Or can you direct me to a good reference on how to do this?

dj

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The Prusik knot is used in climbing to ascend a climbing rope. It is basically a cow hitch with three wraps instead of one. When there is no pressure, the knot slips up along the rope. When weight is applied, it grips the rope with added friction to prevent slipping.
The climbing technique involves using two Prusiks, one for each foot. For safety, you can add one to your harness in between the upper and lower foot loops Slide the upper one up, step into its loop, bring the safety Prusik up, then bring the lower one up to the other two. Transfer your weight to the lower one and repeat.

-Will (Dragonfly)

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I go up the mast often. I have a mast mate ladder that is attached to a halyard and a bosun's chair attached to a separate halyard. I climb while wife keeps chair under me winching the chair as I climb. When I get where I want to be (or am tired) she secures the chair and I sit. Both halyards are attached via a knot then I loop the shackle around and close that in place with all pressure being on the knot. I do not have additional halyards to use as back-up safety, however think I am pretty safe.

Greg

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
+1 for the ATN Top Climber.
I use mine with a bosun’s chair (or at least did, until the admiral put the kibosh on it).
No matter what, I still used a harness and had a partner belaying on another halyard.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I think climbing safely is only part of the equation. Feeling safe, relaxed, in control, and able to work at the top should be considered as well. Getting there is only half the fun. I like my bosun’s chair, but it requires my wife on the halyard.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
1. Going aloft without a helper is not a good idea. I know folks do it, but I wouldn't recommend it;
2. don't mean to offend, but how old are you? 20 years ago I had the fitness, and lack of fear necessary; now, not so much.

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Does anyone use their windless? What about rigging an atv 12 volt winch to pull yourself up the mast? I've been thinking about this for awhile. No one wants to winch 250 lbs up the mast.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
1. Going aloft without a helper is not a good idea. I know folks do it, but I wouldn't recommend it;
2. don't mean to offend, but how old are you? 20 years ago I had the fitness, and lack of fear necessary; now, not so much.
Excellent points worth consideration. I'm 64 but I cycle and lift heavy at the gym still. Heights don't bother me but maybe they should. I've seen guys older than me go up. A chair to sit in and take the weight off the legs is wise.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Does anyone use their windless?
I watched a neighboring boat owner use his windless to climb the mast. He lived. I believe he had a helper if not several. As I remember he had a halyard or other line lead forward from the mast base and around the windless. The boat was an Islander 28 which has a pronounced cabin top. I don't remember how he dealt with the change in angulation there. You'd better have a lot of faith in those blocks. As a matter of policy both of my feet don't leave the deck at the same time.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I agree with not going up alone. If a piece of rigging fails, you could be in dire straits. That is when I realize I actually made a mistake about 5 minutes earlier and am just finding out. I think it helps to at least have an observer nearby.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Ok so no picts but recently found the easiest way to mast top. My marinas fuel dock is parallel to shore and there's a high bank behind that I pull boat over from bumper of my truck. Work on top then let it up. It's a 30' Hunter with 47' tall mast so my not work on other boats or if rig is bad but works great to fish New haylards.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
My b-day is almost here. I think I want to ask for a mast climbing system. One that I can use on my own. Any advice from anyone that does this?
Last time I needed to do some work up there, I hired the guys from Cheney with their bucket truck, pulled the boat alongside the crane area and rode the bucket up and down. Paid them $100, IIRC. Very helpful when you forget that tool/part on the ground and have to make a second trip. ;-)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Last time I needed to do some work up there, I hired the guys from Cheney with their bucket truck, pulled the boat alongside the crane area and rode the bucket up and down. Paid them $100, IIRC. Very helpful when you forget that tool/part on the ground and have to make a second trip. ;-)
That's really reasonable. And smart!
I don't have any work to do aloft now. I did everything the last time the mast was down. New wiring, new LED anchor light fixture and cleaned contacts. It's those unplanned events I want to be able to deal with. e.g. a jammed halyard, stuck indicator or burned out bulb.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
A simple climbing gear (three ascenders and a harness) and you can do it on your own. But keep in mind that safety is the paramount issue here. Never use a single rope; never use shackles to attach to the rope; use only knots that you know are safe.

You would need two ascenders to climb (foot and harness); the third is for the second rope, as a safety. Climb on the main halyard and use the jib halyard as a second rope. Secure both to a fixed point on the boat (so they don't move). If yo can, pretension the main halyard to make it easier to climb.

Take a few loops (line or webbing) with you aloft, so that you can flip them around the mast - this would help you stabilise yourself (no swinging). A nicely positioned loop like that can also be used as footholds - especially useful at the top.

This does not need to be a difficult activity and does not require extraordinary level of fitness. Just don't rush it and plan for what you need up there. If you can take three flights of stairs, you should be able to climb the mast.

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
I bought an ATN mast mate about 6 months after I bought a 'new to me ' O'Day 272.
First time I had experienced a roller- furling jib. Boat was trucked from S FL, so mast had to be raised. Got mast raised, but didn't setup jib on furler.
Didn't want to pay for 2nd time to get jib on, so bought ATN instead. At 60+, I didn't have a problem.
I failed to tie on messenger one day when needing to remove jib. At 68 (and after hip replacement), it wasn't as easy to get to masthead and get jib reconnected. Feet fell out of 'stirrups' and wound up getting things twisted and stitching was torn. Mfg was good about restitching, but I'm not sure in my present condition that I would feel confident in 'going to the top' by myself (currently 73). Be safe if you do go solo.