going aloft without a helper

May 17, 2014
hunter 380 Plano, TX
Does anyone use their windless? What about rigging an atv 12 volt winch to pull yourself up the mast? I've been thinking about this for awhile. No one wants to winch 250 lbs up the mast.
No but my wife has no problem winching me up the mast quickly. I bought a Milwaukee right angle drill with a winch bit. Now any winch on the boat is electric with 2 speeds

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Coincidence or what? My August Sail magazine just arrived and there's an article entitled "How to climb the mast alone."

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I like to be independent too. So I bought a Topclimber. Half way up, I was all out of steam. By the time I reach the mast top, I felt like I've left my brain on deck! Never again the Topclimber. I've gone back to having someone crank me up.

KenY

Kopite

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 27 Monroe MI
For me, the three ascenders ( feet, seat, and safety on another halyard). It’s so easy and I feel safer in control of my own movements vs being hoisted in someone else’s hands. Climbing the mast has become fun.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
No but my wife has no problem winching me up the mast quickly. I bought a Milwaukee right angle drill with a winch bit. Now any winch on the boat is electric with 2 speeds
@planoron, What size winch are using to go up the mast?

I tried it on my Lewmar 16, but the drill could not crank my 210 pounds up. I am going to try running the halyard to my larger primaries to see if the gearing works to get me and my fat @ss up the mast !

Greg