Gloucester 22 Owners

Oct 10, 2020
Gloucester 22 Hunter 23 23 Vermont and MV
Hi, I have a Gloucester 22 and I am about to restore her! I am looking for tips! I am new to the forum!The boat came to me with the cloth hanging from the ceiling and walls of the cabin. Most of the cloth is down, but some remains hanging and still adhered in place. It appears that the cloth is glued right to the hard fiberglass. I have read a lot online about replacing panels and also about cloth glued onto foam backing, but I don't have any of that. How do I repair the walls and ceiling? Can I just rip the little remaining down and then paint the ceiling and walls? Do I have to put a cloth back on? If I can paint, can I use a thicker textured or foamy paint? Also I have posted separately about any ideas on the best oils or varnishes for restoring water damaged wood and veneers inside the cabin. Thank you and happy sailing!

Nov 28, 2018
Gloucester Glucester 22 Lawrence, Kansas
Hi, I have a Gloucester 22 and I am about to restore her! I am looking for tips! I am new to the forum!The boat came to me with the cloth hanging from the ceiling and walls of the cabin. Most of the cloth is down, but some remains hanging and still adhered in place. It appears that the cloth is glued right to the hard fiberglass. I have read a lot online about replacing panels and also about cloth glued onto foam backing, but I don't have any of that. How do I repair the walls and ceiling? Can I just rip the little remaining down and then paint the ceiling and walls? Do I have to put a cloth back on? If I can paint, can I use a thicker textured or foamy paint? Also I have posted separately about any ideas on the best oils or varnishes for restoring water damaged wood and veneers inside the cabin. Thank you and happy sailing!
I had 1983 Gloucester with the same problem. I took off all the cloth, sanded the ceiling and painted the ceiling. I went to my local paint store and asked for a paint that would adhere to fiberglass. What they gave me did a great job. I used a disk sander and probably sanded for 6 hours before I decided it was "good enough". The paint covered up a lot of the imperfections. I replaced the cloth at the shelf height with 1/8" masonite that I painted both sides. I screwed it to the inside fiberglass. Make sure you down drill through the outside fiberglass. I fixed my boat up where I was very proud of it.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Cjflyer
You posted a photo of an inspection port probably 5 inch with a bilge pump in hand.
Where exactly is that. Maybe another photo of the floor showing placement would help and access to that location from another source to install overboard discharge.

Your boat was built in Gloucester VA I believe by Harry Seindel

Oct 10, 2020
Gloucester 22 Hunter 23 23 Vermont and MV
Hi, Thank you for the detailed reply. I want to paint too. But I am worried as a bunch of things online only talk about putting cloth back up. And one place said that the boat needs the cloth for insulation so that there isn't condensation inside? Was this an issue for you? Thank you!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Nice result. I think I'm going to have to put the Gloucester 22 on my list!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
And one place said that the boat needs the cloth for insulation so that there isn't condensation inside?
If the cloth is exposed to the warm moist air on the inside and cold on its outside then the cloth is where condensation will form, which is probably the last thing you want.

Sep 16, 2020
Gloucester 22 Virginia Beach, VA
I am looking for help replacing the centerboard on a Gloucester 22. See attached photos. I am thinking of just cutting off the top and drilling news holes and attaching a shorter centerboard. Any problems with that? Anyone know the specs on the centerboard or how I can find a replacement? Thanks.

Attachments

Nov 28, 2018
Gloucester Glucester 22 Lawrence, Kansas
I never could get my centerboard down. It is nice to see what it looks like. There shouldn't be any problem making the center
board shorter.

Jun 29, 2010
Gloucester 22 McPherson
@Cjflyer
You posted a photo of an inspection port probably 5 inch with a bilge pump in hand.
Where exactly is that. Maybe another photo of the floor showing placement would help and access to that location from another source to install overboard discharge.

Your boat was built in Gloucester VA I believe by Harry Seindel
Sorry for the long delay! The bilge pump and inspection port is located directly below the companion way. Similar to this picture.

Curious how you found where my boat was built? I thought these G22s were built in Chanute, Ks.

Attachments

Apr 28, 2021
Gloucester 22 Shell Point
It's really nice to see these boats! I have a Gloucester 22 and need to replace the centerboard (lost at sea). Does anyone have specs? Even an approximation would be great. Thanks so much!

Apr 28, 2021
Gloucester 22 Shell Point
I had 1983 Gloucester with the same problem. I took off all the cloth, sanded the ceiling and painted the ceiling. I went to my local paint store and asked for a paint that would adhere to fiberglass. What they gave me did a great job. I used a disk sander and probably sanded for 6 hours before I decided it was "good enough". The paint covered up a lot of the imperfections. I replaced the cloth at the shelf height with 1/8" masonite that I painted both sides. I screwed it to the inside fiberglass. Make sure you down drill through the outside fiberglass. I fixed my boat up where I was very proud of it.
THAT LOOKS AMAZING!!! YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION.

Dec 26, 2009
Hunter & Hobie 22 & 14 Pensacola
I recently picked up a Classic Yacht built Gloucester 22 but it's missing the centerboard. Any idea where one could either find a pattern or replacement?

Jan 25, 2023
Gloucester Gloucester 22 Owings Mills
I recently picked up a Classic Yacht built Gloucester 22 but it's missing the centerboard. Any idea where one could either find a pattern or replacement?
Did you happen to buy this one in the video?

Aug 8, 2023
Classic Yachts Gloucester 22 Walnut Valley Sailing Club
Nice to see some other Gloucester 22 Owners! I purchased CJFlyer's Gloucester back in March and have it Slipped on lake El Dorado NE of Wichita KS. She is my first sailboat and I taught myself to sail her over my first 2 or 3 outings mostly single handing. She is a good handling boat and if Im attentive to sail trim easily keeps pace with the Catalina 22s and 25s in the club.

Happy Sailing
Chris
20230808_193422.jpg

20230805_205205.jpg

20230804_202553.jpg
20230804_202553.jpg20230805_205205.jpg20230808_193422.jpg