Glasses

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Went to the eye guy yesterday. My prescription isn't quite as good as it has been, especially reading. I was talking to him about Maui Jim's and Costas, and he agreed that Maui Jim makes some of the best for boating. He visited one of their plants once. He talked about a proprietary polarizing process they have, and that the whole field of vision is clearer. He said some companies like Oakley are trying to make glasses that are for marine use, but Maui Jim started out for marine/boating/surfing etc. and does it better.

(He also has this cool new computer tech that mapped my cornea like a topographic map, and it shows the areas of astigmatism, kinda off to the sides of my corneas. This explains why sometimes I feel my sunglasses give me better vision than my regulars - because my pupils contract and kinda block out the areas of astigmatism off to the sides. So I got that going for me, which is nice...)

Anyway, it turns out that Lens Crafters does sell Maui Jim sunglasses. They might be some older frames or something, but I said "Take my money!" and I'm getting a pair with HCL Bronze progressive lenses. And a new pair of regular glasses, and some Ray Ban New Wayfarers for driving and general use. HOLY COW, the amount of money I spent!!!!!!!

On the other hand, I will now have some wrap style glasses for out on the boat, and that can only be a good thing...

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
I used to have a pair of Maui Jims, and yes they were good, but I replaced them with bi-focal Costas, this was on the advice of my opt and I believe these to be even better. I know MJ's are good but do yourself a favor and just check these out.

www.costadelmar.com

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
Sunglasses

Yes, I'm sure I would need to have my current prescription, do u order them from web site, telephone number from web site, or local store that handles MJ'S
You need to go to a Maui authorized dealer with a copy of your Rx, because certain styles have Rx limitations you also need to try on various styles for fit and comfort and they will probably need to be adjusted after they come back from the lab. tell the dealer you are a sailor and your need to read your instruments, they may recommend a different lens other than polarized which can be a pain trying to read from any angle

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I wear contact lenses so my options are a little easier. However, I do have regular prescription progressive lens glasses that I will wear sometimes. The cheapest solution for me is polarized clip-on flip ups. Need to look at the instruments...flip em up. Glasses covered with salt spray...flip em up for a quick look and flip em back down. Same for going down below where its darker. Good, cheap back up.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I used to have a pair of Maui Jims, and yes they were good, but I replaced them with bi-focal Costas, this was on the advice of my opt and I believe these to be even better. I know MJ's are good but do yourself a favor and just check these out.

www.costadelmar.com

I ended up getting the Costas. I have not had them on the water yet. Raining today, but they already blow away my previous pair of Revo sun glasses just from the wrap around frames.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Very nice looking shades. You'll like them even more when you get on the water.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
I've solved the problem by just keeping my eyes closed the entire time.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I've solved the problem by just keeping my eyes closed the entire time.
caution there PG this also works good for snow skiing and snow blindness ...just be careful of the trees :eek:

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="]Thanks for all the great information. This turned out to be a very good thread.[/QUOTE]
So did you get some glasses? And, if so, what, and after a season on the water were you pleased with them?

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Maui Jims. You can get them in most prescriptions and progressives also. They are pricey but they have never caused a vision issue while sailing. Ever.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Maui Jim requires that only they make lenses for their glasses. I got my StingRay model MJs made with progressive lenses. Superb clarity and definition. Grey tint. The only thing that came close was Cebe Cecchinel.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I wear prescrip trans and wear walmart cheap over but can't see the chartplotter very
good but they really help keep all that Florida sun at bay for sure.
Nick