Glasses

Mar 5, 2013
Hunter 45CC Lake Erie, Sandusky Bay
What is the best eye wear to reduce sun glare off the water. I'm not looking for specific brand, unless there is a huge out performer, looking more for lens type, material, and color. I wear prescription glass with a bifocal. I want to have glasses made up that I can wear as sun glasses with my prescription.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Best I ever used was Maui Jim polarized with glass lenses. They are pricey but outstanding quality. I think you can get prescription lenses but not sure.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Best I ever used was Maui Jim polarized with glass lenses. They are pricey but outstanding quality. I think you can get prescription lenses but not sure.
True. Every decent sailor I know uses them.

Its not just about general color of lens and material. Its about overall execution. That's why people spend 230 bucks for real pairs and not 30 for knockoffs.

Their HCL Bronze or Maui Rose are regarded as the best for showing wind on the water.

Ever damage them and its flat $60 to repair them to new. That's a forever offer.

Available in prescription as well.

Jun 5, 2014
Capital Yacths Newport MKIII 30 Punta Gorda, Fl
I have a pair of sunglasses i got at Walmart in the sporting good section. They are sunglasses with a small reading glass spot at the bottom of each lense. They have different reading glass numbers you can get. I love them. Cheap and i am not worried if i break them. Works great for looking down at the instruments.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Bifocal contacts here .. then ya can buy the good stuff off the shelf. Polarized is great for reducing glare, but many LED numeric displays are unreadable from much angle off center with polarized.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Bifocal contacts here .. then ya can buy the good stuff off the shelf. Polarized is great for reducing glare, but many LED numeric displays are unreadable from much angle off center with polarized.
i have trifocal transition prescription glasses.....just wondering here kloudie what happens if you put those contacts in 90 degrees off the axis ...do they make you cross eyed :eek:

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
they are interesting, Woody.. mine have a ring all around the outer edge that ya kinda see through when you look downish,so the lens orientation is not constant.. I got used to them several years ago and really like 'em for sailing, especially at night when framed glasses fog up and get salt crust on 'em.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I wear trifocals, too. The doc told me I would need a third eye if I wanted contacts. I guess I'm stuck with clip on shades.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah you can get prescription lenses and even progressive bifocals. They'll put a pretty good dent in your wallet. But life is too short for crappie sunglasses. And yes, reading LED's with polarized lenses is difficult to impossible at side angles.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Your eye doc probably carries a high quality prescription sunglass.
I've worn Maui Jims for 25 years. Have something like 9 pairs including the first pair I bought 1988.
2 years ago I found I needed glasses. I researched and found Costas, which my eye doc carried, were considered equal to MJs.
Blue Mirror, Anti Reflective, Progressive lenses with 10% light transmission are what I got. I forget which frames but they are light and fit well so they don't fall off. And I never take them off and set them down when on the boat unless I am in the cabin.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Just picked up my 2nd pair of Maui Jim's yesterday. Progressive subscription. Had to replace my first pair due to change in prescription but the old ones are my backup. The MJs prescriptions are cut by Maui, not the lab an optometrist uses, so you get authentic Maui lenses when using a prescription. I choose the grey lens as they tend to be more versatile as I use them off the water as well.
I used to believe the cheaper glasses were just as good, until I tried the MJs knowing I could return within 30 days if I didn't like them. Will never go back....

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Interesting about the Maui Jims. If I understand you guys correctly you're saying they are available as progressives or for those that are nearsighted? I just had an eye exam & looked at them. I'm farsighted & it sucks not being able to see a chart or read anything without reading glasses. I was told they are available with a lower prescriptive lens for "reading" only.

Mar 5, 2013
Thank you for all the great info. It looks like I need to look into MJ's. I checked there web site out. Then with zip code search they gave me nearest stores. Or do I call the number on the web site and order direct?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Another one here with trifocals transition lenses but I also use clip on polarized and also wear-over glasses. The clip-on are in two flavors, one amber and one grayish. The wear-over are not the full wrap-around type, they just fit over my regular glasses and are amber polarized.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Thank you for all the great info. It looks like I need to look into MJ's. I checked there web site out. Then with zip code search they gave me nearest stores. Or do I call the number on the web site and order direct?
I think you go to your Optometrist. I'd be surprised if they grind lenses without a prescription.

Mar 5, 2013
Yes, I'm sure I would need to have my current prescription, do u order them from web site, telephone number from web site, or local store that handles MJ'S

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
For a quick go-to, I use the thin plastic lenses (no frame) that slide in behind the eyeglasses. $2.99 regular, 3.99 anti-glare. Except when the Totes stores went out of business i can no longer find them. Any one else?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
You can also get Maui Jims with built in readers for those how need this setup.