Genoa Sheets -- length

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
My sheets are 50 ft. 6 inches long. It seems that I still have too much. The spec sheet says 55 ft.

I will double check next time I am on my boat.

Any opinions, comments or suggestions.

Hershey

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
generally speaking you only need enough to reach, from the winch (with your max number of wraps on the winch, including the cleat), all the way to the headstay. If you have 1 sheet (as in cowhitch in the middle), take that number, and double it.

Also for the 22, I prefer 5/16.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Again; I will "remeasure" with a whisker poll out to see how much, if any extra I have. I have been sailing this boat 2 years now and always seem to have extra line just laying around in the cockpit, just waiting to get caught/tangled.

Speaking about getting caught. The halyard turning blocks ( doubles) do a real good job of catching the sheets when tacking. I think on the Mk II they have moved these blocks back and repositioned the exit blocks on the mast. Am I correct ?

Hershey

Jul 9, 2013
When racing, I put a couple strips of blue painter's tape from the cabin top in front of those double blocks up to their top, preventing sheets from catching while tacking. Cheap fix!

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
jerrymlewis said:
When racing, I put a couple strips of blue painter's tape from the cabin top in front of those double blocks up to their top, preventing sheets from catching while tacking. Cheap fix!
Yes; I guess I should do the same. Tried it a few times.

Possibly make one out of stainless and one side under the forward bolt, and bolt the other side to the deck.

Hershey

Jul 9, 2013
I tried plastic gallon jug strips but found that the "one time use" blue tape to work best and won't hurt my toes if stubbed like a metal strip could.

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
FWIW, I purchased the "CP-22 135, 150 genoa jib sheet" from catalina direct this spring. This blue line is 55 feet and with a hitch at my 135 genny's clew leaves 5 to 8 feet of line in the cockpit at most points of sail. I haven't tried "poling" out the genoa; who knows, maybe that's when the added length is needed.
While I appreciate the line from the Dylan song, "eventually we'll hang ourselves on all this tangled rope", I just let it (line) lie on the cockpit floor ahead of the traveler while the main sheet's excess is behind the traveler.
wooster

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
wooster said:
FWIW, I purchased the "CP-22 135, 150 genoa jib sheet" from catalina direct this spring. This blue line is 55 feet and with a hitch at my 135 genny's clew leaves 5 to 8 feet of line in the cockpit at most points of sail. I haven't tried "poling" out the genoa; who knows, maybe that's when the added length is needed.
While I appreciate the line from the Dylan song, "eventually we'll hang ourselves on all this tangled rope", I just let it (line) lie on the cockpit floor ahead of the traveler while the main sheet's excess is behind the traveler.
wooster

OK;

Are we saying 27.5' per side ?

Eoy

Jul 22, 2013
Yes, 55/2=27.5 feet each side. Perhaps more helpfully, this afternoon, putting away my capri (mooring), I had approx. 7 feet of sheet per side to bundle and hang over the winch covers, once the jib was fully roll furled.
I took my 94 year old mother out, she enjoyed herself but was a bit concerned when heeled over and her on the lee side. No one got wet.
Wooster
Rereading my earlier post, I must have more loose line in the cockpit when sailing with the jib; just the same, no real problems noted

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
Sometimes, when single-handing in light air, I skip the winches and run the jib sheets back through the spinnaker sheet turning blocks to keep them handy. Other times, when single-handing in heavy air, I cross-sheet the jib sheets so I can trim from the high side. In both cases, I need the sheets to be a little longer. Anyway, think it over before you cut them or you might be looking for your rope stretcher.

Jul 22, 2013
I can't wrap my archaic mind around cross-sheeting, I don't know, too hinkie ? I can understand the motivation. When the wind's up, moving myself to leeward is along way down; boosts my caution closer to fear.
Wooster

"you might be looking for the rope stretcher", that's good

Jul 9, 2013
Cross sheeting is "da bomb!"

You're on starboard tack, boat leaning left and you're up on the high side rail (starboard). Rather than wrap the genoa sheet around the port winch and cleat it off 'down there' - run the genoa sheet once around the port winch and pull the rest of the sheet up to the starboard winch and put a few wraps there and cleat off (or hold on if playing is needed). Then in a puff, don't move from the rail, just reach to the winch to let out a few inches/feet then trim back in as the puff passes. If you really need to crank in hard on the sheet, simply tail the line in one hand, stand up, pull on the line crossing over the cockpit and tail the line through the winch. Never going down to the low, wet, tippy side of the boat.

For port tack, reverse directions...

Jul 2, 2013
jerrymlewis said:
Cross sheeting is "da bomb!"
Couldn't agree more, learning how to do this was one of the most valuable skills I've taken away from this forum. I have a 110 jib on a furler, and switched from the cabintop jib tracks to the deck tracks even at the expense of some upwind performance. I ran that configuration until a few weeks ago when I saw another Capri at a local marina that routed his jib sheets through the cabin top blocks then to the deck jib stack. Was so simple of an idea, but it never crossed my mind. Now I have the best of both worlds. The only drawback is there is a little more friction when letting loose the sheet, but I usually have decent wind on the lake so it hasn't been an issue.

As for sheet length, I bought 40' (20' per side) and it's plenty long enough (110 jib) for cross sheeting. When I furl the jib plus a few wraps, I'm left with about a 1-1.5 feet after the cleat. The manual calls for 40' with a 100% jib, and 55' for a 155%.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Thanks;

That makes sense. I hope my 50' 6" will work (25 '3"/side). Not too short. Right know I have 50'6" side. No wonder I have extra line lying around in the cockpit.

Worse comes to worse -- I could cut each of the 50' 6" lines shorter.

Hershey

Jul 22, 2013
Hershey said:
... Right know I have 50'6" side. No wonder I have extra line lying around in the cockpit....
Wow; so you presently have a total of 101 feet for the left & right jib sheets combined ? If so yah, that's a lot of line in the cockpit.
As for cross-sheeting, I know how and truth be told I've done it a few times (light air, lazy sailing). I object to the odd looking maze/cat's cradle that's produced. Also, with significant wind, my #16 self tailers need at least three wraps so the force/tension is applied low down on the drum.
Wooster who's had to rebed a loose winch

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Wooster: "I object to the odd looking maze/cat's cradle that's produced" Someone is giving away their age :) Probably 50% of the members here would not know what you are referring to ....

Anyway. I put the 50' 3" line and attached it in the center on the clew. This seems to be more then enough.

On my mooring I tried it with a whisker pole almost all the way out ( 11') and had a few feet to spare after wrapping around the winch.

All we need now is some good weather here in the Hudson Valley.

Hershey

Jul 22, 2013
Here in eastern MA, we're expecting big heat this Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday; good time to be on the water. Too bad Marblehead's race week will be over; it was fun watching the J-80s out by Half Way rock, the Rhodes 19s by Satan's and the wet athletic (my stomach aches just watching them hike) Lasers at harbormouth yesterday. It was windy and wet in the AM (closed my capri's seahood to keep cabin dry), more settled and sunny in the PM.
Sounds like you've got the jib sheets good to go. Hope the wind, weather and your schedule work out.
elderly Wooster, born in the year of who knows when

Aug 17, 2015
If you are going to be close hauled or just reaching for a long period of time, cross sheeting makes it easier to single hand the boat from the windward side and use the windward jibsheet jam cleat , remove, adjust recleat without reaching down to the leeward coaming to cleat the line. A little extra goes a long way in that case.whoops, just read the first few replies. I see cross sheeting was already discussed. I guess if you have enough at 40 feet to cross sheet than that's plenty.

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
One more thought...If you have a little extra length on your one-piece sheets, you can cut them in half and turn them end-for-end when they get chewed up by the cleats.