Genoa Clew Ring

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
I'm ordering a new genoa 120% and the sailmaker is offering me a number or clew options. One is the "soft" clew that I don't have any experience with it. Obviously you dont have the metal ring to hit the mast when tacking...but I was wondering if anyone has first hand experience. The cost is all the same.
I am attaching a picture.
S/Y Christine

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
No experience with this arrangement, however, it is interesting. It will be lighter than a metal clew which will be good for light air and it will hurt less when it hits you in the head.

The only drawback I see is having to splice eyes into the sheets. It will be harder to change sheets if that ever becomes necessary and you may need new sheets as old line is more difficult to splice.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
In your photo, the jib sheets are attached to the clew using a piece of dyneema or comparable line. That appears to take the place of the metal ring and is probably nearly equal in strength.
The metal clew ring on my jib is attached to the sail using the same strap arrangement shown in your photo. What is questionable to me is the use of spliced loops as attachment points on the jib sheets, and having to attach and detach the sheets by untying the Dyneema loop. As I understand it, that line does not hold knots very well.
Its a matter of personal preference. I am used to detaching my jib sheets when the boat is docked and simply using bowlines to attach the sheets, and I also change the sheets end for end a couple of times during the season.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The only drawback I see is having to splice eyes into the sheets. It will be harder to change sheets if that ever becomes necessary and you may need new sheets as old line is more difficult to splice.
Is there any reason bowlines couldn’t be tied through that dyneema loop, instead of the splices? Bowlines will be heavier, but I don’t see anything inherent to this soft clew arrangement that makes bowlines any worse than they would be on a typical metal ring.

One thing I would ask the sailmaker is the expected durability of the soft clew in UV. Usually a metal ring can be put in part of the clew that’s still covered by the UV cloth, because it will be exposed to the sun even when furled. It looks like the soft clew is just Dacron?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I like it. For reasons stated above and because bowlines catch on the shrouds when the release isn't done just so. I don't know about that lashing but I think a soft shackle would make a clean and easy way to attach the sheets. Yes a spliced eye is the best way, I think. But a buntline(?) hitch might work too.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I can see another advantage... you won't get any metal oxide staining on your sail.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
With a loop of Dyneema you could easily luggage tag a sheet to the sail.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My new genoa came with a small clue ring.
I attached the sheets 4 seasons old using eye splices on the sheets and a dyneema soft shackle.

The soft shackle could work on the soft clew as well. No issues with the dyneema “slipping” apart.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
It may be spectra webbing covered by a light sail cloth.

Where's @DrJudyB ? (I know, probably still sleeping as it is 0345 in SF.)
I can't say what the material is used for the soft clew that's shown in the picture, because I didn't build it.

To build a soft clew, I use flat spectra/dyneema webbing covered with tubular polyester webbing. Then topstitch with Tenara thread on the outside to hold everything in place.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
With my 3.4" sheets, bowlines or any knots are very impractical as a connection to the clew. I've been using the connection below (Dyneema) for about 8 years now and it is neat, clean and we have no problems at all with it, but I don't change headsails. When I order new sheets I get them spliced on both ends so I can turn them end for end annually. They last twice as long. I'm sure it would work just fine with the soft clew ring, but I have had a soft head "ring" on the jib fail while sailing, so no, I wouldn't recommend it. That was a fun night on the foredeck sewing a new attachment point to the sail, while my charter guests slept soundly in their bunk.
sheets eye splices sm.jpg

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
have had a soft head "ring" on the jib fail while sailing, so no, I wouldn't recommend it.
I would bet you a beer that the webbing at the head Of the furling sail was strong enough when new, but that UV exposure weakened the thread used to attach it.

All stitching and webbing should be inspected annually for sun damage. (Or more frequently in tropical climes. ). If you can break the thread with a pencil point or a pick, it’s old and needs replacing.

Webbing loops at the head and tack of a furling sail are preferred because it allows a tighter, smoother furl than a pressed eye at the head and tack of a furling headsail. All the furler manufacturers recommend webbing loops for that reason. A tight furl protects the sail from UV exposure. An acceptable alternative to,webbing loops is a not- very-bulky Stainless steel ring, attached with webbing straps.

If you do use a pressed eye at the head and tack, it should/must be be reinforced with webbing straps on all boats over 35 feet LOA (at a minimum) and for all coastal voyaging and offshore sails.
Judy B

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I would bet you a beer that the webbing at the head Of the furling sail was strong enough when new, but that UV exposure weakened the thread used to attach it.
Judy B
Well, you'd lose that bet. It was the webbing that failed, cut right in half at the apex. It wasn't dyneema or something similar, though.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
No. How do you tie this configuration of a loop and a end knot?
Ok- the part with the knot is tied in a doubled line, then stitched to the sheet loop. then that is lashed to the doubled sheet tightly making sure the loop in the sheet is JUST large enough for the knot to pass through.

I have many many sailing miles using this, learned it from a friend in Florida who has also used it for years. No
complaints.. Oh, and if it flogs and clonks you in the head, it doesn't leave blood :)